White noise and pink noise are two of the most common noise generators audio engineers deal with. White noise is particularly useful as it has the same energy across the human audio spectrum. Many people use it for sleep and security purposes because, in its presence, all other sounds seem less loud, due to the brain's response to the constant white noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise[DOUBLEPOST=1373560563][/DOUBLEPOST]Contrary to popular believe, "brown noise" does not cause one to lose control of their bowels.
Dammit, stienman, I told you I have to work, not read about colours of noise!

Not sure where to put this because its partially good and partially bad.
As you people might know, I have an internship this summer for a place I really wanted to be at and wanted to work for. About a month and a half in and I love it. It's been great experience with real work, I've learned a lot, and its made me feel a lot better about my major and overall path with life. I really want to work there after I graduate and there had been subtle hints that they want to hire me.

The problem: Yesterday the guy I work under said that he and my boss were talking and they might be looking into bringing me back for my winter break. Obviously thats a great opportunity and it means they definitely like me. Heres the problem: I already have a study abroad trip planned for school. I've been really looking forward to this and I will get great credit. I told the guy this and he didn't seem upset and seemed happy that I could do that. My boss is really nice and understanding about things, and I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'm afraid I just torpedoed a job with them for next summer.

I hope so. I'm just a computer science major and I don't know how many programming jobs there are in my area. I'd really like to be home for a while after I graduate.

Not sure where to put this because its partially good and partially bad.
As you people might know, I have an internship this summer for a place I really wanted to be at and wanted to work for. About a month and a half in and I love it. It's been great experience with real work, I've learned a lot, and its made me feel a lot better about my major and overall path with life. I really want to work there after I graduate and there had been subtle hints that they want to hire me.

The problem: Yesterday the guy I work under said that he and my boss were talking and they might be looking into bringing me back for my winter break. Obviously thats a great opportunity and it means they definitely like me. Heres the problem: I already have a study abroad trip planned for school. I've been really looking forward to this and I will get great credit. I told the guy this and he didn't seem upset and seemed happy that I could do that. My boss is really nice and understanding about things, and I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'm afraid I just torpedoed a job with them for next summer.
Actually I would say that helps you, taking the trip, it shows that you plan for the future and keep commitments that you have made. Also, since it's something you will be getting school credit from it's actually showing that you are even taking that break as a serious thing to further your schooling.

I've been really looking forward to this and I will get great credit. I told the guy this and he didn't seem upset and seemed happy that I could do that.
I would think a penchant for planning would be looked upon as a favorable personality characteristic in your chosen profession.
I doubt they'll wait...but this is not to say they won't try to "fit you in" later if you ask to sign on once your traveling is done.
When simultaneously presented with both a known and unknown quantity and asked to make a choice, the smart businessman will usually pick the known quantity. Hint: It's you.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I'm starting to feel like one of those Marines who brags about how fast they can field strip a weapon. Only for me it's the four carbs on my motorcycle. I keep forgetting to run the damn thing (I don't have insurance on it currently), so something will gum up when I do get around to it, despite stabilizer.

I'm starting to feel like one of those Marines who brags about how fast they can field strip a weapon.
I know one of those guys. He often also says, "You never really leave the Marines," and I said, "Oh, you mean like Hotel California?"

He didn't think it was as funny as I did.

WHY WONT THIS GET OUT OF MY HEAD
/quote]

Do they think our pop music is just as weird as we think theirs is?

Do they watch a music video from the US and wonder where the lady dressed like a 40s cartoon character is? Why are there no floating skulls? Why does that girl look older than 15? Americans are weird!

Sometimes, when I have my hands behind my head, I miss the ticking sound one of my old watches made.
I wonder, should Apple (or some other company) come out with a Smart Watch(TM), whether you will be able to customize it by choosing whether or not it should softly tick with one of dozens of custom Tick-Tones(TM2).

--Patrick

I wonder, should Apple (or some other company) come out with a Smart Watch(TM), whether you will be able to customize it by choosing whether or not it should softly tick with one of dozens of custom Tick-Tones(TM2).

--Patrick
I want mine to sound like grinding gears in a 1979 Fiat.

Guys, I was born on this day. No foolin'.
So, you've traveled from the future back to the day of your birth? Cool. Could you give us some stock tips, or sure bets for future events (like to place a bet tomorrow about who will win the next elects, odds should be spectacular! )

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

Also, I'm a little drunk. Sorry Krisken.[DOUBLEPOST=1373819333][/DOUBLEPOST]I was invited over to my old bosses house to partake in some 21 year old scotch. Man was it good. I'll...go to sleep soon.

Also, I'm a little drunk. Sorry Krisken.[DOUBLEPOST=1373819333][/DOUBLEPOST]I was invited over to my old bosses house to partake in some 21 year old scotch. Man was it good. I'll...go to sleep soon.
It's all good, sir! Happy birthday and I hope I didn't offend in the other thread.

I had to bump up an Amazon order to get free shipping on a couple of add-on items.

I bought a Green Lantern shirt, and I bought it one size too small so I'm not one of those chubby guys wearing a superhero shirt.

I'm still not sure why this has occurred.