GasBandit

Staff member
Men read books to find out what happens to the people.
Women read books to find out what happens between the people.
Simple, really.

--Patrick
The phrase that immediately clicked with her was "the woman steals the man's anger." At the time she had been very taken with that descriptive interpretation of the act.

figmentPez

Staff member
Every time I download a game, my mind is just blown by how fast internet connections have gotten. I don't even have that fast of internet, in the grand scheme of things, but a decade or so ago I was still on dial-up. Back then I weighed large downloads in how many hours it would take, at 10MB an hour. Now I can download 10MB in 3 or 4 seconds, and I can usually get 10GB an hour. That the internet speeds I have now are 1,000 times faster than I had a dozen years ago... woah.

I believe there was actually a Penny Arcade comic (and associated Fourth Panel episode!) about how much sex this Kvothe guy gets.

So, how do you guys handle presents?

It's Nate's birthday tomorrow and I was only able to get him one gift. It's something nice and something that he wants, but I feel the need to get him something more.

Would you feel slighted if your significant other was only able to get you one gift? Or would you be satisfied? I honestly don't think Nate will care one way or another, he's a champ, but my little brain can't handle that I only got him one thing...GIVE HIM ALL THE THINGS!!

A bit late to the party (so to speak) but yes, one gift would be fine.

You've already given him the gift of a life forever with you. Everything else after that is superfluous, but nice to receive. *grins*

If the tornado hits and you're on the news later, make sure to take your shirt off and talk about it sounding like a freight-train. That's what we do here in Oklahoma.

Edmonton has a....sordid history with tornadoes. It puts the city on edge something fierce.

Luckily, as far as I know, it didn't happen. Pretty gnarly storm though.

Intense thunderstorms are one of the things I miss about Florida. It's both frightening and exhilarating.
When I was stationed at Mayport, a 4pm thunderstorm was a daily occurence during the work week. The Jacksonville paper even printed a graphic showing how it was caused by rush hour traffic.

Edmonton has a....sordid history with tornadoes. It puts the city on edge something fierce.

Luckily, as far as I know, it didn't happen. Pretty gnarly storm though.
There are some photos of a black, vicious looking funnel cloud near Beaumont, but I didn't hear any reports of it touching down and becoming a tornado. My office was on edge, people went home early. I stayed and by the time I left, it was just a drizzle; an hour later there was sunshine.

A former student of mine, who in the intervening years has grown up quite nicely, just posted some bikini pictures of herself to Facebook. How weird would it be for me to "like" them, given how I haven't seen each other since she was in junior high? (She's graduated university now)

A former student of mine, who in the intervening years has grown up quite nicely, just posted some bikini pictures of herself to Facebook. How weird would it be for me to "like" them, given how I haven't seen each other since she was in junior high? (She's graduated university now)
Just don't. There's practically no upside, and a whole bunch of potential downside.

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually saw somebody wearing a T-shirt this week that said "TEXAS" at the top and in smaller script lower down, "most likely to secede."