Random: A few nights ago I had a dream I owner a used book store. I have not been able to shake how happy I was in this dream, lugging boxes of books around, organizing, arranging a front window, etc.

I have started researching and found that the used book store I frequent the most is for a reason; it is the ONLY one in the area. The other used book stores have closed...noe because the owner died and the family had no interest...the other because the owner moved.

There's a store front in between the cafe/bakery and the gallery....a hipster Mecca.

Part of me is saying "THIS CAN BE DONE."

fade

Staff member
My kids love Phineas and Ferb. I had to search around the web to make sure I wasn't crazy in thinking this show was pretty sexist. Phineas and Ferb and the friends to a lesser extent are geniuses who have crazy adventures. The girls on the show want to impress their boyfriends.

M

makare

In Johnny Test the girls are the geniuses. I think it just depends on the show and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

M

makare

How the show is interpreted? I don't think Johnny Test is sexist because the girls are geniuses and Johnny is kind of a dipshit.

ElJuski

Staff member
Again, of course, its how the show is interpreted. What else would it be? Also, that is to say, don't just not watch Phineas and Ferb, but as pop-culture consumers, it's an important thing to point out.

ElJuski

Staff member
lol because apparently it aggravates you so. And also, I think having an interesting conversation on female constructions in children's television is fascinating, and it's stupid when people just brush it off as "OH WELL JUST A SHOW NOT A BIG DEAL"

M

makare

I am not aggravated about it as much as completely bewildered. If you don't like my responses to stuff, whether for grammatical or other reasons, just ignore them. Then you don't have to get upset about the "stupid". :)

ElJuski

Staff member
Well I was trying to have some fun, but as usual, you're being a wet blanket. Sigh.

In either case, I still think it's fascinating that kids' shows get a pass for stuff like that, and even more fascinating that, for the most part, it's a no-brainer to the rest of us watching TV. I want to bring that up to my niece and see what she thinks. Also Perry the Platypus still is pretty rocking.

S

SeraRelm

Dexter's Lab being a good example of the opposite of Johnny Test. No really, it's like the characters had a gender swap (mostly).

M

makare

Dexter's Lab being a good example of the opposite of Johnny Test. No really, it's like the characters had a gender swap (mostly).

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. Although, I didn't really watch Dexter's lab but I think the sister was really stupid. Johnny is just kind of well not geniusy.

DeeDee was barely a personality outside of messing up Dexter's stuff. Even calling her stupid is a stretch. I think her friends were more developed characters, really.

My kids love Phineas and Ferb. I had to search around the web to make sure I wasn't crazy in thinking this show was pretty sexist. Phineas and Ferb and the friends to a lesser extent are geniuses who have crazy adventures. The girls on the show want to impress their boyfriends.
I think it's pretty harmless. Yes, the girls are a bit boy crazy, but they are also shown to be just as competent as the boys and they are always included in the activities. In fact, Isabella seems to have other things going on in her life, as she's able to wrangle up a horde of Girl Scouts at the drop of a hat... Girl Scouts that are practically ninjas. There was also that "Battle of the Sexes" episode where the girls won because Buford and Baljeet couldn't get their shit together.

Basically, all the girls have good, admirable traits that distinguish them. They only seem less perfect because Phineas and Ferb are basically Marty Stus that have only really done anything wrong in the movie.

fade

Staff member
It's true that they do things besides pursue the boys, but that's their central, defining characteristic. Sure, Isabella is almost as smart as P and F, but that's not her raison d'être.

fade

Staff member
I don't know anything about Broken Bells (which I'm fairly certain is the name of a band and not a person, but I could be wrong), but this is the first album I've enjoyed every song from in a long time.

ElJuski

Staff member
Just so you guys are aware, noticing that there are sexist traits in a show doesn't mean you should throw the whole show away. It's just like noticing that Snickers aren't as good for you, and you probably shouldn't focus your whole diet on it.

fade

Staff member
Just so you guys are aware, noticing that there are sexist traits in a show doesn't mean you should throw the whole show away. It's just like noticing that Snickers aren't as good for you, and you probably shouldn't focus your whole diet on it.
Yeah, I 100% agree. The show is enjoyable, it's just that the issue with Candace (and Isabella to a lesser degree) stands out like a huge, pus-filled pimple. Hell, my cellphone ringtone is the Doofenschmirtz Evil Inc. jingle.

A Huge, puss filed pimple? It's more like a benign mole. It's there and it may detract from the show for some people, but it's hardly the huge eyesore that it is on other shows aimed at kids. You want rampant sexism? Watch the crap the main characters get away with on Pair of Kings.

Just FYI: Not dead. Moved on sunday and still haven't gotten the internet isntalled. they were supposed to come on Tuesday and they never did so they rescheduled me for Thursday, and then never came. Right now I'm visiting the family so I got the net again temporarily

Back in my apartment again now. They actually came and installed it today.

Man, I am so glad I don't own a lot of stuff, already almost totally packed. Just the desktop, clothes and the posters left, plus running out and getting some packing tape to close everything up. Going to call it here and finish tomorrow, I think.

Ok, someone found my art thread using the search terms "flamers burgers". I get the flamers part since that's the name of one of the units I use all the time and probably talked about them on that page, but the burgers throws me for a loop.