We always buy our sandwich bread ahead of time and put it in the freezer, because I get the 2-packs from Costco. We're only a household of 3, and if we didn't, we'd never get through the bread fast enough before it would spoil.

Now, of course, not all bread will freeze well and still taste good afterward. And the fresher baked breads, while delicious, are a waste of money in our house because we don't go through them quick enough before they spoil. But I will say, the worst thing you can do is put bread in the fridge. The insta-cold of the freezer preserves it well, but the fridge slowly breaks down the bread and makes it taste like ass after a day.
Bread growing stale is one of those few chemical reactions that happen faster when colder (but above freezing).

No time now to make a long post, but: whatever the F you Americans think is "bread", if it can last a month, it isn't.
McDonald's buns are not bread, for example.

So I wasn't sure where to post this. Picture thread? I think there was a thread for AI stuff, but that might just be @GasBandit's little weird singing thing (incidentally if you want to take some of these and play with them, Gas, I'm down).

My Heritage has an AI that will take photos of you and transform them into portraits or pictures of you from the past. It has various different categories it can do and you will get a smattering of them for free (it does require you set up an account). After that they charge for access to more. It's kinda fun to see what it comes up with. Here are a few of the ones it game me:

Natalie-19th Century Princess-3.jpg

A 19th Century Princess

Natalie-1930s Hollywood Movie Star-9.jpg

1930's Movie Star

Natalie-1940s Glamour Girl-9.jpg

1940's Glamour Girl

Natalie-1950s-9.jpg

Me from the 1950's

Natalie-Ancient Greek-3.jpg

Ancient Greek

Natalie-French Royalty-5.jpg

French Royalty

Natalie-Noblewoman (Lady)-3.jpg

A Noblewoman

Natalie-Russian Tsarina-3.jpg

Russian Tsarina

Natalie-Saxon-9.jpg

A Saxon

Saw a post on Reddit asking, "Who is television's most frightening antagonist?" The obvious answer is: Cable/media companies.

But that's now what I want to talk about. I saw a Twitter discussion on freezing bread, and there are so many people that can't fathom why someone would freeze bread. Personally I freeze a loaf after 4 or 5 days, because in my experience it's far too common for bread to go moldy at about the 7 day mark and beyond. Houston is a hot, humid, mold factory. Other people online said bread takes 2 weeks to a month to go moldy.

How long does it take for bread to go moldy where you live?
I live in a humid, tropical climate, so my bread can go moldy in literally hours. I also freeze my bread.

Ditto, it even makes shitty toast.

My house, at it's warmest (lol) is 19 C and probably -200% humidity based on my dry skin and nose. Nothing molds here, except cheese in the fridge because I'm lactose intolerant and take a month to eat a block of mozza. Even bread bought from the local bakery takes over a week to go moldy and they're about as simple as it gets ingredients-wise.

That reminds me, I've been thinking about getting some of those vacuum seal glass storage containers. Wonder if they make those big enough to store a loaf of bread.

Man, I could really go for waking up to someone making me breakfast. I haven't had that luxury in a long effing time.

French toast, a bit of milk and no effort on my part.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my new (second) favorite addon (after ublock origin) to firefox

Improves the desktop youtube experience immeasurably by kicking "youtube shorts" to the fucking curb... and playing them as regular youtube videos if you really insist on looking at them.

Mobile is a cancer.

I try to be an extremely mediocre Catholic but fail at even that, and nonetheless I think that retail workers need to be given special dispensation for Christmas - i.e. we can celebrate after because I actually love Christmas carols, especially the old religious ones, but after 40 hours/week of Christmas music, the last thing I want is more, on the day I actually get off.

When I open my own shop, we closin' after the 23rd for a few days and there's no way we will have a Christmas music policy.

Dave

Staff member
13 hour days do add up. I’m okay. Saving money for vacation. And paying for a wedding renewal party.

Me "If Fred Flintstone uses his feet to drive everywhere why is he fat? Is Wilmas cooking that good?"

@Squidleybits "..............................."
Fred always looked to me like the kind of guy that had a layer of fat over dense muscle. The same way a lot of strongman competitors look fat but are easily more powerful than bodybuilders who are just focusing on look.

I've been flinging myself out of bed lately. I'm either sitting up or standing up in my sleep and I wake up as I'm falling to the floor.

Not sure what that's about, can't wait to break my skull open on the corner of something.