I second this. It's all about ingredients. I have a recipe for Heart-Healthy Chili, and while the chili purests in this forum would object (don't @ me), my husband and son love it when it make it. It is really yummy.
Healthy chili is absolutely a thing. But it's more like a bean-and-veggie stew then actual chili.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll make you healthy pizza.
Healthy pizza is not what I miss :p

But kidding aside, what keeps me from eating pizza is:
1) The crust is too filling. I get 7 ounces per meal, and then I'm full. That's about what it takes to fill the box a deck of cards comes in, and any sort of bread just fills that up immediately - and then, as often as not, it converts too quickly into sugars because it spends almost no time in my stomach and goes right into my intestines, and then start to court the ravages of dumping syndrome.
2) My favorite toppings are too greasy, and a (very atypical) side effect I have from my surgery is I can't handle grease anymore. It makes me immediately, violently ill.

I miss bacon cheeseburgers and meat lover's pizza and sausage and barbecue brisket and all that stuff.

But I don't miss weighing 435 pounds. So I'll take this.

I got a brilliant or crazy idea. Maybe both. I have some remaining vacation days coming up. I'll have August 28-31 off.
I'm thinking of doing a biking trip from Halifax to Lunenburg. Google Maps says is takes about 6 hours to get there via the biking trails.

I could leave early Saturday (28th) and probably be there by early afternoon. I'd pace myself, stop at places along the way and "refuel." Then spend Sunday/Monday in Lunenburg, do some touristy things (I like doing touristy things), and bike back Tuesday.

I've never done a big ride like this before, but I feel I'm in shape enough for the task. It's too bad I don't know anyone who could join me. I don't really know any cyclists in my area. If I was in a relationship, it's the kind of thing I'd love for someone to join me on.

This is all weather pending, of course. We've seen a lot of rain this season.

Still, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it'd be fun. I've never been to Lunenburg, so it might be a lot of fun.

And since I wrote this out on Facebook, I booked a room at the Wheelhouse Motel. So looks like it's game on for this crazy idea.
That sounds like fun! That's actually a type of trip that I haven't done. All of my stuff tends to be out and back.

figmentPez

Staff member
Is this @GasBandit from a mirror universe?

Baked bean bandit rains hellfire on English countryside

The headline says "bandit" but far from stealing beans, this villain has been distributing them. The "bean vandal has been dousing 'doorsteps, homes, and cars' with baked beans in the countryside village of Wonersh, Surrey."

“Local officers have received reports of incidents in Wonersh where beans and other food has been poured onto residents’ front doors and cars overnight,” a Surrey Police spokesperson told Metro UK. “The victims are understandably distressed by this unacceptable behavior.” No one knows who’s dumping the beans, and no one knows why.

Amazon installs lockers on a Chicago park's sidewalk

View attachment 38611

That horrible monstrosity is wrong on so many levels. It's a hazard to park occupants. It's horrible that Amazon is using a public park for profit, and they were too cheap to even install their own concrete pad for it.

--Patrick

I’m gonna cause some drama here:

For me it’s:
Over easy
Medium rare
Almond
Captain+Diet (unless I’m home in which case I’ll use diet Dr Pepper)
Coffee

I’m gonna cause some drama here:

For me it’s:
Over easy
Medium rare
Almond
Captain+Diet (unless I’m home in which case I’ll use diet Dr Pepper)
Coffee
I'm game

Eggs: Over easy
Steak: rare-to-med-rare
Milk: only for cooking
Alcohol: Scotch, neat
Warm drink: all coffee, all the time

Egg: Scrambled, in a breakfast burrito with salsa and maybe a bit of cheese.
Steak: Just give me a Hamburger.
Milk: ... milkshake.
Alcohol: Dark and Stormy, Cider, Mead or Absinthe.
Warm Drink: Mulled Cider or Hot Chocolate.

Eggs: Depends. Soft boiled in the morning or when I'm sick, horse eye or over easy if I'm feeling good.
Steak: Seignant. Bunch of American wankers.
Milk: Skimmed.
Alcohol: Really depends on the mood. A nice red wine, a Geuze, a heady dark brown ale, a nice whisky neat, a gin-and-tonic, a limoncello-and-tonic, a well-made Moscow Mule, a highball, they all have their place and moment. I don't drink the same on a sunny terrace as I do in front of the fireplace after a 4-hour hike through the snow.
Warm drink: Green tea, and if I have to choose one in specific, Lady green (basically a soft sencha with bergamot).

Eggs: no
Steak: rare to medium rare (depends on the cut)
Milk: Cashew as an ingredient
Alcohol: nope, I don’t drink
Warm Drink: hot chocolate about once a year

GasBandit

Staff member
Eggs: Scrambled with cheese and milk
Steak: medium
Milk: ice cream
Warm drink: ... I can't remember the last time I drank something above room temperature.
Alcohol: YOU FUCKIN KNOW WHAT

Eggs: scrambled or omelette
Steak: rare/medium rare
Milk: whole
Alcohol: ehh, something fruity so I don't have to taste the alcohol
Warm drink: coffee

Eggs: Depends. Soft boiled in the morning or when I'm sick, horse eye or over easy if I'm feeling good.
Steak: Seignant. Bunch of American wankers.
Milk: Skimmed.
Alcohol: Really depends on the mood. A nice red wine, a Geuze, a heady dark brown ale, a nice whisky neat, a gin-and-tonic, a limoncello-and-tonic, a well-made Moscow Mule, a highball, they all have their place and moment. I don't drink the same on a sunny terrace as I do in front of the fireplace after a 4-hour hike through the snow.
Warm drink: Green tea, and if I have to choose one in specific, Lady green (basically a soft sencha with bergamot).
What the hell is a horse eye egg? I googled it and everything was about botflies. Is this some Belgian madness?

Dave

Staff member
Eggs: scrambled
Steak: medium - since cooks usually miss, I stay directly in the middle. I'm fine with medium well or medium rare. So while I prefer medium rare I order medium every time.
Milk: 1% or skim
Alcohol: none
Warm drink: Earl Grey tea or hot chocolate.

Steak: medium - since cooks usually miss, I stay directly in the middle. I'm fine with medium well or medium rare. So while I prefer medium rare I order medium every time.
Milk: 1% or skim
Alcohol: none
Warm drink: Earl Grey tea or hot chocolate.
Didn't you make a whole thread about how much you love coffee?

What the hell is a horse eye egg?
Probably egg-in-a-frame.

As for myself:
Eggs: Basted
Steak: Delmonico/ribeye, medium-rare. Salt/pepper to taste.
Milk: "Whole" (3.25%) cow's milk. Occasionally Silk "Very Vanilla."
Alcohol: rarely or as a mixer/flavoring (cordials, add a shot or two to other drinks for warmth/flavor)
Warm drink: Milk? I guess? But if they actually meant hot drink then spiced chai w/ milk.

--Patrick

Eggs: boiled
Steak: rare
Milk: intolerant
Alcohol: don't drink
Warm drink: Starbuck's Passion herbal tea or ginger/lemon tea

Eggs: Over hard
Steak: Medium Rare
Milk: Don't drink it on the regular. Whole milk when I splurg.
Alcohol: Bottled in bond Evan Williams with whatever diet coke is on sale.
Warm Drink: Coffee with creamer and sweetener.

Sunny side up? Fried on one side, with the yolk still whole in the middle, a little runny for preference, wit the white mostly solid. It's apparently not a name used in English, sorry :-P
Yes, sunny side up is the English term.

I might as well do this too:

Eggs: fried and runny, preferably with some grits, this is the only good part of being southern

Steak: medium-rare. Salt and pepper, some Rosemary and thyme if we're getting fancy.

Milk: Lactaid 2%

Alcohol: no thanks

Warm drink: coffee, iced. I live in Florida, it's too hot for drinks to not be cold.

Steak: medium rare
Milk: 2% lactose free
Alcohol: no thanks
Warm drink: decaf coffee, hot chocolate