So our area code is 716, as today is July 16th (7/16), there are lots of mini-celebrations around here for it. Radio stations playing local music, restaraunt deals and whatnot. It's something that's taken off in the last decade or so.

That being said, is this a thing in other parts of the country? The only other place I've lived was Missouri and they were 573 so you can't really do it, but do others do this besides Buffalo?

GasBandit

Staff member
So our area code is 716, as today is July 16th (7/16), there are lots of mini-celebrations around here for it. Radio stations playing local music, restaraunt deals and whatnot. It's something that's taken off in the last decade or so.

That being said, is this a thing in other parts of the country? The only other place I've lived was Missouri and they were 573 so you can't really do it, but do others do this besides Buffalo?
Area code 979 also is kinda out of luck for this.

is this a thing in other parts of the country?
Haven't really heard of this, so probably not.
Area code 979 also is kinda out of luck for this.
The rules of Area Codes used to be that the middle digit had to be either a 1 or 0 in order for the phone system to recognize that the first three digits were an Area Code and not just the usual 3-digit prefix. Likewise, no 3-digit prefix was allowed to have a 1 or 0 as its second digit for the same reason. This meant NJ had the lowest-numbered Area Code (201) in the nation.
But then we ran out of phone numbers, and 10-digit dialing and LRNs came along, and here we are.

--Patrick

I haven't heard of anything like that (probably because 541 isn't conducive), but there are sooooooooooooo many window decals spouting their love for the 541.

We have 303 day in March.

New Facebook game. This is seriously easy and has made Facebook a place I can be again. It's like this: you get a point for posting any of the following things:

Arguing against masks
Petitions to recall politicians who listen to science
"All lives matter"
Anything that involves a capital Q that isn't referring to Quetzalcoatl

If you get one or more points, I unfollow you. It's really the best!

New Facebook game. This is seriously easy and has made Facebook a place I can be again. It's like this: you get a point for posting any of the following things:

Arguing against masks
Petitions to recall politicians who listen to science
"All lives matter"
Anything that involves a capital Q that isn't referring to Quetzalcoatl

If you get one or more points, I unfollow you. It's really the best!
You exclude Quetzalacatenango?!?!?!?!

Blocked!

Thanks to YouTube's video analytics system, I now know that of the two watches of my latest duckling video that came from YouTube searches, one searched for ducklings, and one searched for pooping.

Have you guys ever had one of those meetings that's a total waste of time, and in the first hour of the meeting you're sitting there internally seething about being stuck in this completely pointless exercise, but then starting from the second hour you decide that since you're stuck here anyway you might as well use the time and brainpower to think about / simulate something to keep yourself entertained?

On a possibly related note, I now have a very clear idea of how I would decorate my throne room if I ever have the chance to have a throne room.

Have you guys ever had one of those meetings that's a total waste of time, and in the first hour of the meeting you're sitting there internally seething about being stuck in this completely pointless exercise, but then starting from the second hour you decide that since you're stuck here anyway you might as well use the time and brainpower to think about / simulate something to keep yourself entertained?

On a possibly related note, I now have a very clear idea of how I would decorate my throne room if I ever have the chance to have a throne room.
Yes, but the things I spend that brain power on usually require me to take some alone time afterwards, or stay seated until all ladies have left the room.

That is the good thing about online meetings that Corona has taught us. You have to be present for only the first ten minutes or so, after which you can have a junior staff member attend while you get on with actual business, and after the meeting they'll report to you if there was anything relevant.

Dave

Staff member
I would watch The Expanse over almost all of those. Firefly, The Expanse, and The Mandalorian are the best of that whole bunch.