[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Yeah, and it's tearing people up on the Giant's boards that they can't discuss the implications because they have a "no political discussion allowed" rule.

Yeah, and it's tearing people up on the Giant's boards that they can't discuss the implications because they have a "no political discussion allowed" rule.
Tell 'em all to come discuss here in the Political forums. Who knows, some of 'm might stick around, and the people from GITP are a pretty nice crowd in general :p

A thought that I just had, as many on the GITP forum have been speculating about:

Kraagor's Gate is, seemingly, protected by a large number of doors that lead to various dungeons of different levels of difficulty. Xykon and company seem to believe that the gate is hiding inside of one of them.

What if Serini (the halfling of the OOTScribble) intentionally made it that the only way to reach the True Gate was to complete every single dungeon behind each door?

Upon the last door being opened and the "end" reached - Xykon and Redcloak didn't actually mention anything about what they found "at the end" in the one we saw them exiting - some mechanism of some sort opens, and access to the Gate is reached.

fuck international shipping fees..
Sing it!

You’d be better off shipping it to an American friend and having them mail it to you.
I ordered something from Canada and they shipped me the wrong thing...twice. So they refunded me. But I'm a nice guy and was gonna ship it back...until I discovered the price to ship back a 3.5lb package via the cheapest rate possible was still gonna be USD$50, or about $5 more than the total value off the mdse being returned. Such a crock.

--Patrick

You’d be better off shipping it to an American friend and having them mail it to you.
Too late now. And I don't know of anyone, off hand who could do that for me. Or if it would be cheaper in the long run.

Sad thing is, I'm used to it. I didn't back the most recent Dumbing of Age Kickstarter because the shipping fees and exchange rate just wasn't worth it. I'm hesitant to say it's worth it here, either, especially after the exchange.

Last edited:
Sheesh. $35 is fine, but the cheapest shipping option is $55. That's absurd. I work in this sector, it doesn't have to be that expensive.

That has been my hurdle time and time again about ordering stuff like that.

PS that 2.whatever foot tall Unicron that's currently being not-Kickstarted's shipping price to Canada is 20 bucks.

Or if it would be cheaper in the long run.
It probably wouldn't be. If rates are still anywhere near where they were for the package I mentioned above, it would actually be less expensive to hand the package to someone in Detroit, have them drive over the bridge to Toronto, and then mail it from there. And that was including the toll there and back.

...in fact, just checked the current bridge toll, and it has actually been cut almost in half since then, so now it would be even less.

--Patrick

It probably wouldn't be. If rates are still anywhere near where they were for the package I mentioned above, it would actually be less expensive to hand the package to someone in Detroit, have them drive over the bridge to Toronto, and then mail it from there. And that was including the toll there and back.

...in fact, just checked the current bridge toll, and it has actually been cut almost in half since then, so now it would be even less.

--Patrick
I don't think you'd need to drive all the way to Toronto, I'm pretty sure there are other post offices on the way. :p

I'm just impressed with the general American knowledge of Canada on display here.

My experiences on average with Americans (in the USA) talking about Canada have been... not so hot. Ex: When in Florida, encountered somebody who knew "whomever" in Toronto after we'd said we were from Calgary. When we expressed that no, we didn't know them, that they suggested a day-trip to see them (those cities are over 2000 miles (3400km) apart). Beyond that, had an experience in San Francisco where an apartment manager didn't know that Canada existed and thought we were "funning her" talking about a whole country north of Montana, North Dakota, etc. She thought there was "nothing" up there.

Americans who visit Canada don't have this problem from what I've seen.

I'm just impressed with the general American knowledge of Canada on display here.

My experiences on average with Americans (in the USA) talking about Canada have been... not so hot. Ex: When in Florida, encountered somebody who knew "whomever" in Toronto after we'd said we were from Calgary. When we expressed that no, we didn't know them, that they suggested a day-trip to see them (those cities are over 2000 miles (3400km) apart). Beyond that, had an experience in San Francisco where an apartment manager didn't know that Canada existed and thought we were "funning her" talking about a whole country north of Montana, North Dakota, etc. She thought there was "nothing" up there.

Americans who visit Canada don't have this problem from what I've seen.
I find people who want to visit the US have the same size problem: people will come and expect to see New York, Chicago, New Orleans, Vegas, Hollywood, etc... in like... a week, without flying. When I tell them it's an 8 hour drive from Columbus to Atlanta (so not even to Florida yet), they don't believe me. Like Canada, we're a country with just vast stretches of... nothing between places of interest.

I find people who want to visit the US have the same size problem: people will come and expect to see New York, Chicago, New Orleans, Vegas, Hollywood, etc... in like... a week, without flying. When I tell them it's an 8 hour drive from Columbus to Atlanta (so not even to Florida yet), they don't believe me. Like Canada, we're a country with just vast stretches of... nothing between places of interest.
You've got to be talking about Europeans, as I can't image Canadians having that problem.

Yeah, some people are dumb like that. Really works all ways, though. Plenty of tourists think they can see the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, the Tower of Pisa, and the Acropolis in three days, too. We all only get our views from Elsewhere though media. If the only part of Europe you know is the big cities and maybe some nebulous "countryside", that's the same as Europeans thinking the US is just New York, Washington, Disneyworld, La, SF, and maybe the Grand Canyon.
People who know the world is big realise there's plenty of other stuff in between, probably.