[Other] The not so funny pic thread (some NSFL or gore)

I've only had one tooth extraction (an impacted wisdom tooth) but I got weirdly aroused during it. The mouth is an erogenous zone, after all, and the sensation of having the tooth removed (which didn't hurt at all thanks to all the local anesthetic) combined with the fact that my dentist is a really pretty lady probably added to that.

I didn't expect to have that reaction. I was nervous as hell, I'd never had a tooth pulled, and no one likes to go to the dentist. But once it was happening, it was like oh... that's unexpected.

fade

Staff member
When I was in high school, I got a physical for sports, and the doctor was really hot. She did a thorough examination of my junk, which made it difficult to, um, remain at-ease. She had a method, though. She hit it with some metal implement right on the head. Didn't hurt, but it instantly deflated. I was honestly rather amazed.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was in high school, I got a physical for sports, and the doctor was really hot. She did a thorough examination of my junk, which made it difficult to, um, remain at-ease. She had a method, though. She hit it with some metal implement right on the head. Didn't hurt, but it instantly deflated. I was honestly rather amazed.

I saw that, and I noticed it shows how people aren't having kids until they are older, now.

--Patrick
Or none at all. What's interesting is that I read some studies that talk about how at some point in the near future, the number of people retired will outnumber the number of people working because people aren't having as many kids or any at all. Which, with all the old age pensions, might put a major financial strain on the working force. I can't remember why, exactly, but something about taxes or something.

What makes me also wonder about this is, if that retired population starts to die off, would we see a decrease in overall population? Because I think that would be a good thing in the long-term.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or none at all. What's interesting is that I read some studies that talk about how at some point in the near future, the number of people retired will outnumber the number of people working because people aren't having as many kids or any at all. Which, with all the old age pensions, might put a major financial strain on the working force. I can't remember why, exactly, but something about taxes or something.

What makes me also wonder about this is, if that retired population starts to die off, would we see a decrease in overall population?
Low birthrate is killing the economy in Japan.

Actually, right now the fertility rate is pretty much the same as it was pre-WW2 (about 2.0, which is roughly replacement level). The problem is, as you say, the post war baby boom, which really boosted the economy for a while, is now a drag on it as the boomers retire and there aren't enough workers paying IN to SocSec to support those drawing retirement benefits. This is why Social Security is such a hotly contested issue in the US - it's practically a given that the system is out of money and will go under in the next 10 years or so.

What makes me also wonder about this is, if that retired population starts to die off, would we see a decrease in overall population? Because I think that would be a good thing in the long-term.
Really, overpopulation isn't a problem in the 1st world, it's in the third world and rapidly developing nations who've always had the most people - China and India.

[DOUBLEPOST=1439130701,1439130462][/DOUBLEPOST]
I saw that, and I noticed it shows how people aren't having kids until they are older, now.

--Patrick
Advances in medical science along with the changing definition of the role of women in society probably have a lot to do with that. It used to be practically a given that if you didn't have kids by 30, you probably weren't going to have kids. Now it's merely more difficult, and a lot of women decide to explore higher education and having a career first before the ol' biological clock starts ticking, as opposed to getting married and domestic straight out of high school.

Low birthrate is killing the economy in Japan.

Actually, right now the fertility rate is pretty much the same as it was pre-WW2 (about 2.0, which is roughly replacement level). The problem is, as you say, the post war baby boom, which really boosted the economy for a while, is now a drag on it as the boomers retire and there aren't enough workers paying IN to SocSec to support those drawing retirement benefits. This is why Social Security is such a hotly contested issue in the US - it's practically a given that the system is out of money and will go under in the next 10 years or so.

Really, overpopulation isn't a problem in the 1st world, it's in the third world and rapidly developing nations who've always had the most people - China and India.

[DOUBLEPOST=1439130701,1439130462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Advances in medical science along with the changing definition of the role of women in society probably have a lot to do with that. It used to be practically a given that if you didn't have kids by 30, you probably weren't going to have kids. Now it's merely more difficult, and a lot of women decide to explore higher education and having a career first before the ol' biological clock starts ticking, as opposed to getting married and domestic straight out of high school.
Which is also why there's a rise in children with special needs. The older a woman is when they have a child, the higher the risk of major mental disabilities or intellectually disabled. So there's a growth in those type, as well, who need a LOT of extra care and services and rarely can't take care of themselves. Though one interesting thing to come from this is that those intellectually disabled are living longer and they're finding that almost 100% of them that live long enough are also diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

But you're right about overpopulation not necessarily being an issue in the 1st world. I think the issue - something David Suzuki brought up once - is the use of resources by that population. I remember he said that, by the way we live now (referring to North America, I believe), with the way we use resources, we would need the equivalent of five Earths to have resources to sustain us indefinitely. And I think there's certainly something to that. The excessive use of resources, or at least ways to reduce the use of resources (not just oil, mind you).

Gah, sorry. Didn't mean to get on the green soapbox. Haven't done that in a long while.

fade

Staff member
Overpopulation isn't a problem in the first world... sounds like something Marie Antionette said once.

GasBandit

Staff member
Overpopulation isn't a problem in the first world... sounds like something Marie Antionette said once.
What I meant by that, is decreasing the population of 1st world countries will have a negligible effect on overpopulation.

fade

Staff member
It amazes me how evenly distributed males and females are. And some of us still couldn't get a date in high school.

I'd have felt sorry for whoever the government forced to date me in high school. I was a monster.
"Date"? What's all this then? You'll marry girl #253465 and reproduce, dammit! Now share your government-supplied lodgings like a good couple of labor drones! :p

Is it me or you can se WWII in the male population?

Also, it's funny how the fertility rate one almost becomes bimodal (i.e. two-peaked) in the nineties, I don't understand it

Also, it's funny how the fertility rate one almost becomes bimodal (i.e. two-peaked) in the nineties, I don't understand it
You can very clearly see WWII - which was also part of the reason for the baby boom, also very visible.
The bimodality of fertility data is even stronger in Europe, and can fairly easily be explained - a larger, significant part of the population is higher educated and studies 'till around 25, and starts later and later with children. On the other hand, the lower educated, immigrants and those with stronger religious reasons for procreation continue to start early. Thus you still get a bump around 18-20 from those, while you get a higher-educated, smaller bump around 28-30.

I was just about to mention that.
It amazes me how evenly distributed males and females are. And some of us still couldn't get a date in high school.
Even accounting for the bump-in caused by WWII, it's amazing how the population equilibrium quickly returns to the M:F 49/51-ish ratio, and you can see that ratio decreasing as age increases, showing how women overall tend to live longer than men.

--Patrick

The 49/51 ratio only holds true for a complete population (adn is skewing ever more towards 48/52 as we grow older); at lower ages it's actually the opposite at 51/49 :)

The 49/51 ratio only holds true for a complete population (adn is skewing ever more towards 48/52 as we grow older); at lower ages it's actually the opposite at 51/49 :)
Yeah, and as you go further up the age tree, it starts looking more like 25/75.

--Patrick