[Other] The not so funny pic thread (some NSFL or gore)

GasBandit

Staff member
The first rain since the explosion has left Tianjin covered in some kind of white foam.

Several people who were exposed to the rain have reported a "burning sensation."

1. Pedophilia in church
2. Child abuse and sexual tourism in Thailand
3. War in Syria
4. Black market organ harvesting and sales
5. US weapon culture
6. Child obesity caused by the agro-allimentation industry

fade

Staff member
11933423_10153310663373381_1076777941738189304_n.jpg

From Atlanta airport yesterday. To quote the local new station's facebook:
Delta flight landing in Atlanta this afternoon...The lightning passed through the metal exterior and exited from the right landing gear (clearly visible). No one injured...new pants likely required for most of the passengers

fade

Staff member
Right on one of the scariest parts of a flight, too. I always found it very interesting the way the cabin gets eerily quiet on landing. Like we're all kind of expecting to die, and then we make it through, and we all do that thing where we act we were tough all along.

I read somewhere that an airplane is actually quite safe when it's struck by lightning, because the metal exterior conducts the current down into the ground, and keeps it away from the passengers inside. Dunno if that's right though.

I read somewhere that an airplane is actually quite safe when it's struck by lightning, because the metal exterior conducts the current down into the ground, and keeps it away from the passengers inside. Dunno if that's right though.
Well, yes and no. Mostly it'll work like a car - Faraday cage. Not entirely, though, certainly not as close to the ground as that one was. It's more that it's pretty safe to fly through a thunder storm.

Oh sure, the lightning won't hurt you at all. It's the crash after from the plane's fried equipment that you have to worry about :p

Oh sure, the lightning won't hurt you at all. It's the crash after from the plane's fried equipment that you have to worry about :p
"We just lost the platform here, gang." - Pete Conrad, Apollo XII astronaut, after the spacecraft was struck by lightning during launch.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's more that it's pretty safe to fly through a thunder storm.
Errrr, well, no, not really. But not because of lightning. More because of the crazy shit wind and air does inside and under thunderclouds. Wind shear, microbursts, downdrafts, etc.. They've slammed planes into the ground or flipped them upside down in midair. Nope nope nope. Planes still fly around thunderstorms.

Errrr, well, no, not really. But not because of lightning. More because of the crazy shit wind and air does inside and under thunderclouds. Wind shear, microbursts, downdrafts, etc.. They've slammed planes into the ground or flipped them upside down in midair. Nope nope nope. Planes still fly around thunderstorms.
Yes, but the well-known and often bandied about quote about being safe from lightning in a thunderstorm is about hwo flying through a cloud isn't dangerous. Storm winds are dangerous, sure, but clouds and lightning alone normally won't affect a plane overmuch.

Right on one of the scariest parts of a flight, too. I always found it very interesting the way the cabin gets eerily quiet on landing. Like we're all kind of expecting to die, and then we make it through, and we all do that thing where we act we were tough all along.
I think it's more because we can't watch anything on tv, use our cell phones, recline back, use the table, etc. etc. Basically during take-off and landing, its like class: Sit up straight and pay attention!

GasBandit

Staff member
That pilot's drunk.
"Captain has turned on the 'Fasten Seatbelt' sign. Please return to your seat while we attempt a loop-de-loop."
Here's captain killjoy again with another boring aviation fact - flying in circles is a standard "I don't want to go anywhere but I can't land" maneuver :p

What happens when there's a thunderstorm over ATL (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport):

They fly in circles over northeast Alabama.

Conspiracy theorist tells me that pilot got orders to help keep up the facade that there are "planets" out there beyond the Outer Veil that "spin" around the sun which causes retrograde movement occasionally.