The new Amazing Spider-Man trailer is out...

This movie is going to be a glorious trainwreck of terrible. Too many villains spoil super hero movies. Rhino, Green Goblin, Electro.... too much.

figmentPez

Staff member
I get that they're going for over-the-top unbelievable as the joke for the scenes with Peter lying to Aunt May, but it just comes across as so stupid. If Peter really told lies that badly, then Aunt May would be searching his room for drugs.

So, does Sony retain the movie rights to Spider-Man as long as they keep pumping out movies, or does it have a definite expiration date where the rights revert back to Marvel? Same with Fox and the X-Men.

So, does Sony retain the movie rights to Spider-Man as long as they keep pumping out movies, or does it have a definite expiration date where the rights revert back to Marvel? Same with Fox and the X-Men.
Same as Fox: as long as they keep cranking them out, they get to keep the rights. It's why they lost Daredevil and Punisher and why they're rushing to get Fantastic Four out.

It's a little ironic, given that Marvel keeps cranking out Captain Marvel comics for a similar reason: so DC can't publish their own Captain Marvel (aka: Shazam) comics.

Did everyone dislike The Amazing Spider-Man except me?
Nope, I liked it. And I didn't mind the trailer. While I can't think of any examples off hand, I'm sure there have been PLENTY of stupid excuses Peter has used to keep his identity a secret in the comics.

Liked the extended look and am still pumped for the movie. I'm glad Peter is witty again, if fumbling.

I particularly love the scene where Peter heroically steals a minority potential intern's badge and just watches as security hauls him out of the building, possibly to be arrested.

I particularly love the scene where Peter heroically steals a minority potential intern's badge and just watches as security hauls him out of the building, possibly to be arrested.
Yeah, that's up there with the time he let's a robber go free out of spite and gets Uncle Ben killed. :p

Did everyone dislike The Amazing Spider-Man except me?
No, I liked it, though I went in not really wanting to. The cast upgrade did wonders though.

Last edited:
Seeing the new trailer, I'm kind of annoyed they're cramming so much in. They really could've had a movie with just Elektro as the villain going the route they're showing. It doesn't need this stupid Oscorp conspiracy bullshit.

My decision to see this is wavering. There are plenty of other movies I'm really excited about for this year and as glorious a trainwreck as this will likely be, I don't think I want to waste the money on it.

Yep, both are mistakes made in his pre-spider-man days before he was the heroic guy he's more commonly known to be.
My problem with ASM is that aside from that one scene where he saves the kid in the car, he remains the same person. The power and responsibility thing doesn't come through at all. He just comes off as a mean spirited dick. One is the catalyst for him becoming the hero in the end. The other is just him being a jerk. Along those lines, Peter wasn't an irrisponsible douche before becoming Spider-Man. He was a stand up person who makes one mistake in the heat of passion that ends up costing him his father figure. That's why he vows to shoulder the burden of becoming Spider-Man.

But, to be honest, my relationship to Spider-Man is similar to Nick's relationship to Superman, so grains of salt and all that.

However, all that aside, the movie was just plain a bad movie from a technical and storytelling standpoint. The editing was incosistant and jumpy. The story wasn't coherent or compelling and the Lizard looked like the de-evolved Toad from the Super Mario Brother's Movie.

figmentPez

Staff member
So we didn't like it because we're perfectionists? I think my Netflix que disagrees with you.
That was not my intention. My point was that you can't infer that I didn't like the movie just because I criticized some of the dialog. I make no comment on those who didn't like the movie or their reasons.

ASM was, sadly, a perfectly mediocre and forgettable film. I didn't "hate" it but it was kind of like going on a roller coaster named "The Awesome Thrill Ride RIDE!" and then it just has a couple hills to go over and one medium sized loopy-loop. So yeah, it all worked right, no one died, and it was technically a "roller coaster" but wouldn't I go out of my way to watch it again.

This is normally the part where I tell you guys to lighten up and let him have his opinions.

But then Charlie had to go on a tangent and bash the Marvel movies just to piss people off, and finish it off by calling US nerds. So fire away, he brought this one on himself.

This is normally the part where I tell you guys to lighten up and let him have his opinions.

But then Charlie had to go on a tangent and bash the Marvel movies just to piss people off, and finish it off by calling US nerds. So fire away, he brought this one on himself.
I use nerds lovingly like Liz Lemon. I'm the one literally talking about how Spider-Man is the best, c'mon. And it wasn't a tangent, people were talking about the whole universe intersectionality / movie rights mess. AND I like most of the Marvel movies not made by Joss Whedon.

I loved ASM because I was constantly comparing it to its immediate predecessor, SM3. Which was horrible. Tried to cram way too much into one movie.

But hey, I'm glad they learned from their mistakes, definitely won't try that again in the new movie, right? Right?

fade

Staff member
I still never saw it because having Peter be a dick is like having batman shoot the bad guys.

Cajungal

Staff member
I never really landed anywhere with the last movie, and it's the same with this one. I liked Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, but the guy who played Spiderman barely made a blip on my radar. I just found him whiny and forgettable. I don't know... maybe Spiderman's just not my favorite. The only one that I really really liked was the one with Doc Ock... even though that scene at the bank makes me want to jump off a bridge.