The new Amazing Spider-Man trailer is out...

I enjoyed ASM a lot, but I agree that it was eminently forgettable. There were very few stand-out awesome moments, the plot was kind of meh, and the lack of good villain definitely hurt. I had fun watching it, but I won't watch it again, unlike the first two Maguire films.

That said, I thought Andrew Garfield did great. Admittedly, that's also because he made the part feel like a kid from modern-day blue-collar Queens, as opposed to Tobey Maguire's excellent-but-mired-in-the-80s-version of the character. There was an edge to Garfield's portrayal that felt "right" for a modernized version of the character.

It also benefits from being far, far superior to SM3, for what its' worth. If we can't get the rights back to Marvel, I'll take eminently forgettable over giant train-wrecked turd of a film.

While I like the Sinister Six, will they have enough time to establish all the villains? It's starting to sound like it's just going to be a shoehorned-in mess.

While I like the Sinister Six, will they have enough time to establish all the villains? It's starting to sound like it's just going to be a shoehorned-in mess.
Especially considering they're apparently planning spin-off films for the Sinister Six and Venom.

I never understand casting comedic actors as villains. I mean, Smythe is fucking nuts. In the last arc of Parker Spider-Man, he killed JJJ's wife. Why would you get the dude from the fucking Office to play someone like that? I mean, at least at this point Foxx has established himself as more than just someone off In Living Color.

How do you guys feel about Rhino Mecha?
I like that they're going with that approach.

I never understand casting comedic actors as villains. I mean, Smythe is fucking nuts. In the last arc of Parker Spider-Man, he killed JJJ's wife. Why would you get the dude from the fucking Office to play someone like that? I mean, at least at this point Foxx has established himself as more than just someone off In Living Color.
It's unsettling when someone who normally makes you laugh is being intimidating. Though I've found this isn't always the way they want ... Robin Williams in one Hour Photo. Ugh.

Robo-Rhino looks pretty cool from what little they've shown.

Yeah, and honestly 1HP Williams was freaky as hell. I just don't get where along the casting line the dink from The Office was the perfect fit, I guess.

I can't even imagine a non-roborhino on film. I think it would be a hard sell to not look super stupid.

fade

Staff member
To be fair he looks kind of super stupid on paper. The art for the grafting process in Gauntlet was a good sell though. Good rhino tale in general.

So, apparently Sony Pictures wants to have a Spider-Man film come out every year...

http://collider.com/amazing-spider-man-3-marc-webb/

Guys, please stop. Just, please stop. If you're so desperate to keep milking the Spider-Man cash cow, then just stick to doing a batch of Spider-Man films for a while, stop, then reboot. Don't try to cram out not just Spider-Man movies, but also films centered around Venom and the Sinister Six. You're trying to create your own universe and get a cut of that Marvel money, I get it. Here is the problem with your plan: while there may be a good number of characters connected to Spider-Man, Spider-Man is still just a small slice of the Marvel Universe. Attempting to make your own universe when you legally are just stuck to a small slice is going to backfire horribly.

Everything you said is logical and correct.

They will keep doing it anyway, because they are stupid and greedy.

I don't even mind them trying to make their own little Spider-man universe; the problem is that trying to do a movie a year is going to churn out some really shitty movies. Good scripts and effects need time, and actors need breathing room. This is just going to make people sick of Spider-man, which the character doesn't deserve.