The new Amazing Spider-Man trailer is out...

This is another thing that drives me nuts about superhero movies. "Hey, I got superpowers! Neat! Of course I can't go out until I've customized an outfit to represent those powers. I mean, it's not like I can go out and do crime/save people in jeans and a t-shirt."

What's funny is that I can suspend my disbelief long enough to accept "electricity guy", and then it falls apart at "electricity guy took the time/effort to customize a leather jacket to include lightning bolts, which is probably a huge pain in the ass".

Well the Heroes do the same thing. Just look at Spiderman, he takes the time to create super-highly textured leotards to fight crime in...

Exactly. What. The. Hell? It's actually a testament to the Marvel movies that I never had that moment.
Well, they did go out of their way to explain it for Captain America. As for Iron Man, The Hulk, Loki, Red Skull, Abomination and Thor, they aren't wearing costumes.

This is another thing that drives me nuts about superhero movies. "Hey, I got superpowers! Neat! Of course I can't go out until I've customized an outfit to represent those powers. I mean, it's not like I can go out and do crime/save people in jeans and a t-shirt."

What's funny is that I can suspend my disbelief long enough to accept "electricity guy", and then it falls apart at "electricity guy took the time/effort to customize a leather jacket to include lightning bolts, which is probably a huge pain in the ass".

Would you prefer this?

Dude, this is an adaptation of a Comic Book. A trope of Comic Book superheroes/supervillains is they hide their real identities by using costumes. If you have trouble suspending disbelief in this regard, why are you watching a comic book movie? Spider-Man in particular goes to great lengths to point out why Peter Parker has to hide his identity (to protect those you love).

Dude, this is an adaptation of a Comic Book. A trope of Comic Book superheroes/supervillains is they hide their real identities by using costumes. If you have trouble suspending disbelief in this regard, why are you watching a comic book movie? Spider-Man in particular goes to great lengths to point out why Peter Parker has to hide his identity (to protect those you love).

I get the secret identities, but the blue guy? What does the lightning bolt on the arm add to whatever he's got going on.

(Also, anyone taking me entirely seriously has never actually payed attention to my posts around here.)

I feel like it's a containment suit of some kind rather than something he has made himself. Like Oscorp, judging by the barcode, treats him like a battery and property they own, using him to power their stuff for a bit in the movie until he inevitably breaks out, or is broken out.

I get the secret identities, but the blue guy? What does the lightning bolt on the arm add to whatever he's got going on.

(Also, anyone taking me entirely seriously has never actually payed attention to my posts around here.)
It adds style man. Super-villains gotta look good when they are out arching. ;)

I'm struggling to think of ONE where the villain is wearing anything that remotely fits your description. In almost every case, its some type of uniform/ suit they had prior to even getting their powers, like the Green Goblin/ Hobgoblin (such things are indeed designed with aesthetics in mind), and I predict Electo's suit will be no different, or they are just not wearing a costume at all but civillian clothes, like Doc Ock, or Sand Man.

The only ones I can think of that do kind of fit your description are the X-Men movies, and then it's only Magneto, really.

I'm struggling to think of ONE where the villain is wearing anything that remotely fits your description. In almost every case, its some type of uniform/ suit they had prior to even getting their powers, like the Green Goblin/ Hobgoblin (such things are indeed designed with aesthetics in mind), and I predict Electo's suit will be no different, or they are just not wearing a costume at all but civillian clothes, like Doc Ock, or Sand Man.

The only ones I can think of that do kind of fit your description are the X-Men movies, and then it's only Magneto, really.
I suppose it's forgivable that you forgot this guy.

6881_512x288_manicured_LxX6Gt2fuEGaA0c8M7AemA.jpg

I guess the trailer at Comicon spoils that
Electro is created by genetically splicing Jamie Foxx with electric eels.

If true, Kurtzman and Orci are lazier hacks than I even believed possible.

I guess the trailer at Comicon spoils that
Electro is created by genetically splicing Jamie Foxx with electric eels.

If true, Kurtzman and Orci are lazier hacks than I even believed possible.
That's pretty much how they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man, and that was excellent.

That's pretty much how they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man, and that was excellent.

Welllllll....sort of. There were electric eels involved, but it was that along with the being electrocuted by machines, and the chemical formula Doc Conners was working on.

But you are right that eels have been involved before.