Export thread

The new Amazing Spider-Man trailer is out...

Calleja

Calleja

... and I still can't get over the new suit. There's just something... off about it.

It looks better than I thought it would be from the first teaser thing, though. I'm still pissed they're seemingly going to make the origin such a big part of the story. Again.

We all know it, dammit, move on!

phil

phil

I can dig it. While it seems like they will address his origins I can't imagine they'll spend that long on it. Looks like a bit will be about his early childhood and whatnot. Looks like it'll be good in a typical marvel superhero movie kind of way.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Unlike the other Spider Man film, I think this origin story is more complicated, with conspiracy elements to it. Maybe that's why it'll take up more of the movie.

Plus, there will definitely be sequels, so it's more ok for the first movie to be mostly origin.

He also seems to be more super-powered in this movie, compared to the other one. Reflexes are faster, better agility, etc. That's cool.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is gonna be fucking awesome. Can't wait.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, now I'm excited. This trailer is almost like night and day compared to the last one.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Hate to be smug but that still looks pretty rad.

Covar

Covar

was that...a quip?

This movie already looks better than the Sam Rami films.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Interest rising

Jay

Jay

Indeed..

And this..

OQ8hp.jpg

:awesome:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The new suit is growing on me. I think it's the hands that still weird me out, but I am really starting to like the mask itself. It feels a lot more slick.

Most of all I am glad he actually looks like he will be more of a wisecracker. I always felt the Raimi movies never conveyed the fact he pretty much jokes with those he fights a lot of the time.

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, the one thing that Raimi's Spidey was sorely lacking in was wise cracking. He made a few quips here and there, but no where near the "I make jokes even while being pummeled to the ground" Spidey we all know and love. This seems, SEEMS mind you since we might be seeing all the quips in the entire movie for all we know, that they took care of that.

But that SUIT! WHYYYY

Also.. I'm really really NOT looking forward to having the origin up again. Again.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You notice how they are pretty much completely ignoring the Uncle Ben part of the story in the trailers? They are focusing pretty much entirely on his parents and his lack of relationship with them. I might laugh more then be shocked if the movie comes out and the whole Uncle Ben scene becomes nothing more then a throw away before moving back to the main plot.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It would be cool if the Lizard killed Uncle Ben

figmentPez

figmentPez

What is it with the Spider-Man movies having gorgeous redheads play blondes?

Also, I heard a rumor about the plot:
At a key moment, Peter runs out of web fluid.

Jay

Jay

I wouldn't call Dunst gorgeous....

figmentPez

figmentPez

I wouldn't call Dunst gorgeous....
Dunst was a blonde playing a redhead. I was talking about Bryce Dallas Howard playing Gwen Stacey.

Jay

Jay

I'll admit, she came off well as a blonde... better than expected.... but definitely not gorgeous neither.

gwen-stacy-comparison-6-12-10-kc.jpg

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone both look better in red (I think).

ElJuski

ElJuski

man Kirsten Dunst is hot what more do you basement-cretins want? Also movie looks cool; Lizard is nice; really hope they know what they're doing with a reboot on the origins.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This looks much, much better.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

man Kirsten Dunst is hot what more do you basement-cretins want?
Bryce Dallas Howard, Emma Stone and not sucking ass for 3 movies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

sucking ass for 3 movies? Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie ever made.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I liked Spider-Man 2 as well, but Kirsten Dunst was still as terrible in the role as she was in the first and third movies. Spider-Man 2 being good had way more to do with Alfred Molina than anyone else.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And #3 just did not match up to the first two.

Also Bryce is one of the prettiest women in Hollywood.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Oh, I totally misread your post. I still think Dunst was passable in 2

ElJuski

ElJuski

Dunst being passable as an actress is a much different, better argument than OMG FINALLY A HOT BITCH GOD FINALLY.

As far as the movies go, I don't know if the Spidey series have really aged well in my mind. But it's been a while since I visited.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My opinion has been pretty high for Spider-man 2 (not as high as Charlie's, but close); I'm actually afraid to go watch it again, because yeah, they've aged unkindly, a la Adam West Batman.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

^This. It's surprising how quickly those movies aged, honestly. And I loved Spider-Man 2 at the time, but that hasn't aged well, either.

Steve

Steve

sucking ass for 3 movies? Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie ever made.
I agree 100%.

This one does look pretty good though. How great would it be if, after seeing this movie, we can say "The Amazing Spiderman" is the best comic book movie ever made. High hopes for this one.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It'll be good but nowhere NEAR Marvel Productions "good". So "best comic book movie"? Can't see it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Besides, we all know that the best comic book movie ever was Mystery Men.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't care what anyone thinks, I still loved the hell out of Spider-man 2 and would put it in the top 5 best super hero movies. The only thing about Spider-man 1 that really kicks it in the nuts is the look of the Green Goblin and the rapidly aging CGI.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I don't care what anyone thinks, I still loved the hell out of Spider-man 2 and would put it in the top 5 best super hero movies. The only thing about Spider-man 1 that really kicks it in the nuts is the look of the Green Goblin and the rapidly aging CGI.
I think most of us are on board with the Spider-Man 2 love. I would watch it again over Thor or New Hulk (or Old Hulk) or X-Mans (except maybe X-Mans 2 and X-Mans First X-Mans) or the Fantastic Fours or Ghost Rider or Blades or Daredevil or Iron Mans.

Bowielee

Bowielee

My top 5 are:

5) X men 2 - I LOVED Alan Cummings as Nightcrawler

4) Iron Man

3) The Dark Knight

2) Spider-Man 2

1) Superman 2 - I'm sorry, but Terrance Stamp as Zod is still the best comic book movie villain of all time(sorry, Heath Ledger fans). For me, villains are 80% of the reason I love a movie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think most of us are on board with the Spider-Man 2 love. I would watch it again over Thor or New Hulk (or Old Hulk) or X-Mans (except maybe X-Mans 2 and X-Mans First X-Mans) or the Fantastic Fours or Ghost Rider or Blades or Daredevil or Iron Mans.
Yeah I put Spiderman 2 much further down the list than that and alot of the ones you mentioned alot higher. But opinions are awesome like that.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah I put Spiderman 2 much further down the list than that and alot of the ones you mentioned alot higher. But opinions are awesome like that.
They are, but I think we can all agree that Emma Stone > Kirsten Dunst.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly don't get all the Kirsten Dunst hate. Is it because I don't have a stake in which one I want to bone?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I honestly don't get all the Kirsten Dunst hate. Is it because I don't have a stake in which one I want to bone?
I'm not sure yet, but I think Andrew Garfield might be > than Tobey Maguire too. However, just watching him in trailers I don't think British guy who was in that fucking awful Peter Pan miniseries who is playing Doc Conners will be anywhere near as good as Alfred Molina. Plus the Lizard looks fucking silly.

Covar

Covar

I'm not sure yet, but I think Andrew Garfield might be > than Tobey Maguire too.
Considering the horse in Seabiscuit is a better actor than Tobey Maguire that's not much of a stretch.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Considering the horse in Seabiscuit is a better actor than Tobey Maguire that's not much of a stretch.
Wha? He's not that bad. I thought he was excellent in Brothers.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I really don't get the Tobey Hate. He has been as good as or better than the material that he has worked with his entire career.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They are, but I think we can all agree that Emma Stone > Kirsten Dunst.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Emma Stone looks like she's 12. I don't need no Chris Hansen moment.

Covar

Covar

I really don't get the Tobey Hate. He has been as good as or better than the material that he has worked with his entire career.
Then they need to stop getting their material from the Home Depot. Because he is as stiff as a board.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Emma Stone looks like she's 12. I don't need no Chris Hansen moment.
Emma Stone looks like my ex of 7yrs. I don't need a Chris Hansen moment either. I need to get over it.

Tress

Tress

I look forward to the discussion we have in a few years where you people talk about how much you hate Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

figmentPez

figmentPez

In a few years my position will remain exactly as it is now: The world needs more redheads.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just want to know how Garfield is going to get that mask over that hair.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Hairnets, obviously.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Basketball mask > Girly man hair

Piotyr

Piotyr

One scene from the movie and I am already excited about the ways this'll be different.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can definitely get onboard with that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That cop drew his gun without ever getting off of his motorcycle, and shot at an unarmed suspect with a restrained person directly behind him.

I mean, I know this is the NYPD, but come on.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That cop drew his gun without ever getting off of his motorcycle, and shot at an unarmed suspect with a restrained person directly behind him.

My guess is that this is not Spidey's first altercation with the cops.
I mean, for starters, if they stick at all to the origin story, they think he killed that guy that killed Uncle Ben.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well actually...

(I wish I was joking.)

Bowielee

Bowielee

My guess is that this is not Spidey's first altercation with the cops.
I mean, for starters, if they stick at all to the origin story, they think he killed that guy that killed Uncle Ben.
If they're going by the movie origin, which I don't think they are, what with him now having mechanical web shooters and all. I've heard that they may be going the Ang Lee Hulk route for the origin of his powers. That it was his parents dicking around with his DNA that gave him his powers. I will be considerably peeved if that turns out to be true.

As for the new footage. It does give me hope to see a Spider-Man cracking wise.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Posted that in the upcoming movies thread and yeah, I still think the acting comes off kind of shitty and Spidey seems a bit too mean-spirited and ass-hatty. I'm not going to condemn the whole movie off of one clip, but it has soured my anticipation a little.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Agreed. I like that he's crackin' wise, but it does seem a little too mean spirited. I'm not surehow much of that is Garfield's delivery and how much of that is the cinematography and the music. That shot from around 1:40-1:50 particular, it's like they're TRYING to make him the villain in that scene. Just weird.

I don't want to judge a whole movie off one 2minute clip, but I didn't really start out with much anticipation for this one to begin with.

tegid

tegid

Maybe he's like this due to some context. Anyway, I wasn't expectig anything from this movie and this clip has raised my hopes a lot (because of the wise cracking).
Added at: 09:23
Or maybe he's still learning the superheroing, and some attitude from before uncle Ben is killed remains. I could get behind it if there was some evolution in this aspect, preferrably linked to the plot.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought they weren't really doing the origin, like in the newer Hulk.

ElJuski

ElJuski

He did seem like kind of a dick, didn't he.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought they weren't really doing the origin, like in the newer Hulk.
That'd be much preferable, I think. It's like "We know the story now. You can stop telling us about it."
And that would explain why the police are already so hostile towards him, if they've been after him for a while already.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Again, I have to point out that he's not using organic web shooters, and the trailers have shown an emphasis on his parents. Though they may breeze through it somewhat, they're going to have to re-do the origin at least in apart to explain the differences. From all I've seen it looks like a complete reboot.

As to the Incredible Hulk, that was produced by Marvel Studios, so they have more reign over what is done with the character and what they can decide to forego, however, because this new film is produced by Sony with a whole new team, I can totally see everyone from producers to directors saying "Screw what Remi did, this is MY Spider-Man story." It's one of the main reasons I want Marvel Studios to get the rights to Spider-Man and the X-men back.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Marvel will never get the rights to Spider-Man and this makes me happy all day since Spider-Man is the best superhero and all the Marvel Films basically suck and suffer from being part of an even more soul-less, crappy money gobbling machine than Hollywood usually is

I hope this movie makes more than The Avengers, even though it 99% won't. It'll probably be in the top 3 movies this summer though, and that's pretty ding dang dong good. :)

Also this movie is going to rule :)

ElJuski

ElJuski

you just fucking love 500 Days of Summer, is all.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't think it'll break top 3. Maybe top 5. Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, Expendables 2 and Brave I think will all be ahead of it.
And whatever this summer's women's literature adaptation of choice is. I'm just assuming there is one.

ElJuski

ElJuski

besides the 20 different fairy tale adaptations

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm not talking about that though. Those might do pretty well too though. The one with Kristin Stweart especially, since it will attract all the Twilight fans.
I'm talking about whatever Oprah's book club book about a modern day woman living in the city (Either New York or LA, since those are the two American cities that exist in movies) who "discovers" herself and is empowered by inheriting a peach orchard or travelling to England or something is getting an adaptation this year.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I saw the Amazing Spider-Man preview last week before The Avengers. It did make it sound like his powers come from his parents experiments (wtf is that about), he is a cocky little shit who needs to get taken down a notch rather than a nerd with a sarcastic streak, and I think Tobey >Andrew for this role from what I have seen so far.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I, for one, enjoy and welcome the return of smart-ass Spiderman. It's what made the character fun.

Plus, if I just recently acquired superpowers when I was in high school, I'd sure as hell be a cocky prick about it for a while.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

you just fucking love 500 Days of Summer, is all.
HIS NAME IS MARC WEBB AND NOW HE'S DIRECTING SPIDER-MAN THAT'S ALL I'M SAYIN

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

HIS NAME IS MARC WEBB AND NOW HE'S DIRECTING SPIDER-MAN THAT'S ALL I'M SAYIN
I pointed that out to my sister and she didn't get it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

everyone should basically not listen to anything I've said about Spider-Man ever since I pretty much cannot rationally or soberly assess anything about Spider-Man since it's my favorite superhero ever

I'm going to like this movie pretty much no matter what transpires during the 2 hours it shows on a flickering screen in front of me

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

everyone should basically not listen to anything I've said about Spider-Man ever since I pretty much cannot rationally or soberly assess anything about Spider-Man since it's my favorite superhero ever

I'm going to like this movie pretty much no matter what transpires during the 2 hours it shows on a flickering screen in front of me
like if a hobo bursts in and stabs me in the foot with a knife I will be like "okay that's probably in my top 3 experiences ever, right behind the part where he fought the Lizard and when he kissed Gwen Stacy"

BananaHands

BananaHands

like if a hobo bursts in and stabs me in the foot with a knife I will be like "okay that's probably in my top 3 experiences ever, right behind the part where he fought the Lizard and when he kissed Gwen Stacy"
Agreed. Unless they pull that Spiderman 3 bullshit.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Agreed. Unless they pull that Spiderman 3 bullshit.
Spider-Man 3 was the funniest movie ever made

also we're friends, but um, it's Spider-Man. There's a hyphen, and both are capitalized. Thanks.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Spider-Man 3 was the funniest movie ever made

also we're friends, but um, it's Spider-Man. There's a hyphen, and both are capitalized. Thanks.
I'm so ashamed... there's even a goddamn advertisement below this and I still didn't spell it right.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm so ashamed... there's even a goddamn advertisement below this and I still didn't spell it right.
I'm being a pedantic jerk

but more importantly

I forgive you :)

ElJuski

ElJuski

I think 500 Days of Summer blew. NOBODY MAKES THE PIXIES SEEM LIKE A CUTE HIPSTER THING TO KARAOKE BUT ME, GODDAMNIT.

Also, to borrow an AVC phrase, cautiously optimistic. If anything, its an excuse to go see a movie with my niece. She lovers her some Spydermange

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In this moment in time, it's like you and I are one. Charlie Don't Poe.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think 500 Days of Summer blew.
you're dead to me

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I liked 500 Days of Summer. Which is why I'm holding out hope that this movie will be better than the last.

ElJuski

ElJuski

you're dead to me
Let me get back into your graces with a Morrisey reference, a quirky dance montage, and helpful advice from my precocious little sister!

BananaHands

BananaHands

I think 500 Days of Summer blew. NOBODY MAKES THE PIXIES SEEM LIKE A CUTE HIPSTER THING TO KARAOKE BUT ME, GODDAMNIT.

Also, to borrow an AVC phrase, cautiously optimistic. If anything, its an excuse to go see a movie with my niece. She lovers her some Spydermange
Are you referring to yourself as a hipster?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Loved the scene, though he does seem a bit overly mean spirited to the car thief, I mean the guy didn't even want to fight and spidey spent a minute pelting him with webbing. I want him to wise crack a lot in the movie, but not in a mean way unless it's the main villain.

Also, and this is going to sound silly, but he sounds almost TOO New Yorker.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Loved the scene, though he does seem a bit overly mean spirited to the car thief, I mean the guy didn't even want to fight and spidey spent a minute pelting him with webbing. I want him to wise crack a lot in the movie, but not in a mean way unless it's the main villain.

Also, and this is going to sound silly, but he sounds almost TOO New Yorker.
I think Spider-Man would be a little more of a dick to car thieves considering Uncle Ben's fate.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Assuming they went with the car jacking. I think in at least one of the iterations, it was a home invasion, if I recall correctly.

But that's a fair point I hadn't considered.
There could very well be some context in the movie that justifies him having that little bit of venom to his wise cracks. It does appear he's looking for someone in particular, after all, checking the guy's wrist for tattoos and then saying it could could have gone a lot worse for him.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Assuming they went with the car jacking. I think in at least one of the iterations, it was a home invasion, if I recall correctly.

But that's a fair point I hadn't considered.
There could very well be some context in the movie that justifies him having that little bit of venom to his wise cracks. It does appear he's looking for someone in particular, after all, checking the guy's wrist for tattoos and then saying it could could have gone a lot worse for him.
Yeah, I figure the guy who killed Uncle Ben was wearing a mask and had a wrist tattoo.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think Spider-Man would be a little more of a dick to car thieves considering Uncle Ben's fate.
Good point, though we will have to see what they even do with Uncle Ben. Every trailer I watch kind of glosses over the tragedy of Uncle Ben, and instead seem to focus on his character drive being based on finding his parents that left him long ago. I am kind of worried they are going to gloss over the Uncle Ben stuff to separate it further from the last trilogy, but what you say about him checking the wrist gives me hope.

I guess I just didn't like the whole part where he covered his nose and mouth with webbing, which is pretty sadistic as it could suffocate him. Like when he killed the guy in the first movie of the last trilogy, it was mostly on accident after beating up the guy, as he tripped out a window. That seems more in line with him, but putting the webbing over his air-holes just felt like attempted murder.

Vrii

Vrii

The mouth and nose shot he undid, didn't want to kill the guy. The perfectly-aimed ball shot, on the other hand, is pure sadism.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The mouth and nose shot he undid, didn't want to kill the guy. The perfectly-aimed ball shot, on the other hand, is pure sadism.
He only did it after he realized it was not the person he was looking for. Who knows what he would have done if that guy had the tattoo. That is not even counting the fact he did it before even checking, it's like someone putting a pillow over my face while checking my wallet, you can't just take the pillow off and say "My bad..."

bhamv3

bhamv3

A high school aged kid who suddenly gets super powers, and has recently suffered a major trauma? I think I'd be a dick in that situation. But that's just me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, that must've made the car thief a little teste.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, that must've made the car thief a little teste.

ElJuski

ElJuski

also, its a super-hero movie, so I'll forgive the contextually detached five-minute clip a pass.

Tress

Tress

Here's a review:
Didn’t We Just Do This? The Amazing Spider-Man, Reviewed.

by Will Leitch

1. The Amazing Spider-Man is less a reboot than a recital. It's professionally made and competent and sincere and well-acted, but it never quite overcomes the nagging sense that there's no reason for it to exist. Well, actually, there is a reason: Sony, to keep the rights to the character, needed to rush a movie into production before those rights expired. (It's an odd copyright issue; they basically have to make a movie so the rights renew. Rights law is strange. This is also the reason there's a Superman movie coming out next year.) The movie can't shake that ultimate pointlessness, that sense that we've not only seen all this before, we've seen it all recently. Honestly, how many times can we watch Uncle Ben die and still feel something?

2. The movie has a big heart, though, so you keep trying to cut it every break. The primary reason for this is the casting of Andrew Garfield, best-known as Zuckerberg Prey in The Social Network, as Peter Parker. Garfield is a terrific actor—he was nominated for a Tony in the recent Philip Seymour Hoffman-led Death of a Salesman—and he keeps finding new ways to approach a nearly ancient character. Garfield attacks Parker at odd, jutting little angles, making him less brooding and more intellectually curious, a teenager in number only, basically an endlessly optimistic nerd scientist who can't figure out girls but who happens also to have super spider powers. He's fascinating to watch; it's rare you see an actor of this quality in this sort of role. It's sort of the flip side of Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. Whereas that high-level actor blew up the part with his charisma, Garfield turns it inward. You keep getting sad when he puts the mask on.

3. Other than Garfield, though: This is pretty much the same shit. It's a bit exhausting to realize, very early on, that this isn't going to be a continuation of the previous Spider-Man movies (the last of which, after all, came out only five years ago) but in fact a complete restart. This means we have to sit through the whole damn story again, with the spider bite and the discovery of powers and the making of the costume and Uncle Ben dying and all of it. This takes up the first hour of the film, and it's extremely difficult not to lose one's patience: Yes, yes, we know he becomes Spider-Man, so just start spidering already. To give us yet another origin story, you need to blow up the whole enterprise and do something dramatic, like what Christopher Nolan did with Batman Begins—recreate a whole world from the ground up. Director Marc Webb—he made (500) Days of Summer—either lacks the chops or the inclination to do that; he seems either too reverent of the enterprise or too scared that he might kill the golden goose to try anything all that new or daring, so we end up with just another Spider-Man movie it feels like we've already seen.

4. It also doesn't help this movie's fortunes that the first two Spider-Man movies are actually pretty great. (Let's ignore the third one and its campy, we've-lost-the-thread-here-haven't-we dance sequences.) You can't help but compare scenes in this movie to their counterparts in those, and the comparison does this film no favors. The memory of Spider-Man kissing Kirsten Dunst while upside down was so instantly iconic that it's still being parodied more than a decade later; here, you just get Parker shooting Gwen Stacy (a mostly wasted Emma Stone) with a web and spinning her toward him. There's nothing close to the surprisingly moving scene in Spider-Man 2 when Parker stops the runaway subway train and, unconscious and unmasked, is carried by grateful commuters to safety. The primary effect of this movie to keep conjuring up better movies.

5. Listen, this isn't a bad movie. Garfield and Stone have real chemistry, Denis Leary has some nice moments in a Commissioner Gordon-type role and the climactic action sequence has some real kick, as does a rescue scene on the Williamsburg Bridge. (Even if that just reminds you how good the rescue from the Roosevelt Island Tram was in the first Spider-Man.) The villain, The Lizard, a scientist-gone-wrong genetic mutation played by Rhys Ifans, is kind of lame, though, with extremely murky motivations. (I never quite understand what he was always going on about.) It's probably not fair, really, to The Amazing Spider-Man to find it so meandering and redundant; it is only its own movie, not anybody else's, and a bunch of people worked very hard with very good intentions to make it, and to make it well. It's not necessarily Marc Webb's or Andrew Garfield's fault that this movie mostly just feels like a rerun. But it does. It feels like we just did this.

Grade: C+.

@Li3n

@Li3n

(It's an odd copyright issue; they basically have to make a movie so the rights renew. Rights law is strange. This is also the reason there's a Superman movie coming out next year.)
Pretty sure that's not a copyright issue, just a clause in a contract they have with Marvel...

Bowielee

Bowielee

It would be their lisencing contract more than actual copywrite law itself. Most movie property contracts have a set period of time that they can maintain the rights before it reverts back to the orgiginal copywrite holder. It's funny what's happening with all these studios that bought comic book properties years ago and never did anything with them. I think they started snatching them up after the original Superman movie.

Most movie studios just sat on them for decades because super-hero movies weren't very popular, but with the titanically huge numbers coming from the Marvel movies and the Sony "Marvel" movies, along with the Dark Knight series, now the studios have had the lisencing for so long that they need to pretty much crank out movies every other year to retain the rights to them or they revert back to marvel/DC.

Steve

Steve

Off to a good start. Beating Avenger international box office openings. And with Spider-Man getting the 4th pulled into the US opening week it may just beat The Avengers.
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/07/0...e-avengers-international-box-office-openings/

Tress

Tress

It's starting to look more and more like that review I posted (the first one I saw) is more of an outlier; many other critics seemed to really like it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's starting to look more and more like that review I posted (the first one I saw) is more of an outlier; many other critics seemed to really like it.
I haven't seen the movie yet, so this is me talking out of my ass, but even if the movie is really good (and it looks good, I want to see it) the review you posted would still be accurate. That reviewer seemed to think the movie had a lot of heart, and some great acting by Garfield, but overall suffered from the fact that we've already seen spider-man's origin, which is true.

Won't stop me from seeing it, though.

evilmike

evilmike

Also, if you are a fan of Spider-Man and hate your cardiovascular system, Hardees has a deal for you:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, if you are a fan of Spider-Man and hate your cardiovascular system, Hardees has a deal for you:
No masks? Fuck public safety, I'm spider-man

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think that review has those two terms flipped.

fade

fade

Really? That's the way I see it, too. A nerd is a smart guy who is socially awkward, often physically inept. A geek is just a social outcast. A geek doesn't have to be smart or lacking in physical prowess.

EDIT: The title does seem to be backward from the point she makes in the review, though.

Norris

Norris

My sister, my friends Mrs. M and Claire, and I all loved it. Personally, I think what it did best was the characterization - Uncle Ben, Aunt May, Peter Parker, and even Flash Thompson all felt like "real" people instead of character types.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Thiiiiiis moooooovie fuuuuuuckin oooooowned

Bowielee

Bowielee

Marking this thread so I can point back to it in 2 months when people turn around and say how much it sucked after the 5th viewing. :p

Tress

Tress

Marking this thread so I can point back to it in 2 months when people turn around and say how much it sucked after the 5th viewing. :p
... or how much they've always hated Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, I'll jump on the Emma Stone thing now... I think she's alright, but by no means a great actress. Just so it's out there.

I'm totally willing to give her a shot, it could just be the teenybopper movie background that bugs me.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Emma Stone is probably the best actress under 30 by a huge margin

KCWM

KCWM

I enjoyed it, even if it hasn't been long enough to justify a reboot. My biggest wish would be that they'd not spent the time on the origin. We would have had more screen time for spidey.

klew

klew

... or how much they've always hated Emma Stone and Richard Garfield.
The guy from the Facebook movie also created Magic: The Gathering?

Tress

Tress

The guy from the Facebook movie also created Magic: The Gathering?
I never said that... :whistling:

Frank

Frank

Emma Stone might as well been sculpted from clay and given divine life to play Gwen Stacy. She looks exactly like the comic iteration from the 60's.

Soliloquy

I don't understand why reboots focus so much on the origin story. We know the origin story. He's Spider-Man. He got bitten by a spider and became the guy who's like a spider.

Unless your reboot adds an awesome now exploration of the origin, just pay it lip service then move on to the new awesome ideas that you have.

Norris

Norris

Unless your reboot adds an awesome now exploration of the origin, just pay it lip service then move on to the new awesome ideas that you have.
Considering that:
His origin story in this case was tied into his father's research, which in turn was tied in to Dr. Connors' research/The Lizard's origin, which in turn ties directly into Norman Osborn (who will likely be the villain of at least one future film), and is therefore one piece of the myth-arc that this new trilogy is building, I think it was pretty important.

On that note, I loved that Norman Osborn was said to be dying and needed Connors' genetic research to yield a cure. It gives him a solid motivation to test the Goblin formula on himself.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm 98% certain what's under that spoiler tag, but I'm still going to resist the urge to look under it until after I see the movie tonight.

fade

fade

I kind of prefer Peter and Norman both just doing it because it's freakin' awesome. You don't get that too much in the comic world, but in real life, that'd probably be the #1 motivation for super heroics/villainy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I just got back from the movie and, well, I thought it was fucking terrible.

For non-spoilered reasons:

I will say the good first of all. The Staceys were great. I loved both Captain Stacey and Gwen's characterizations. Also, Best Stan Lee appearance since Mallrats.

For everyone else, they were wildly mis-characterized or under-utilized. Expanding on that in the spoiler section.

The lizard looked like complete ass.

Garfield's version of Peter Parker just came off as a self absorbed dickhole.

I hated that they did the kid saving bit as being his realization that he should be a hero rather than the death of Uncle Ben being his realization that he should be a hero. After Ben's death, he doesn't care about helping anyone, just getting Ben's killer.

He was just snarky and douchy through the entire film. I'll take Toby McGuire's whiny Peter Parker over this snarky douchebag any day.

Curt Connors was portrayed as a spineless coward who may have even been complicit in Peter's parent's death. Curt Connors is a good man in the comics, he doesn't seem like one in the movie (his last minute catch of Spider-Man even seemed like a complete 180 for the character).

Aunt May may as well have not even been in the movie. The under-utilization of an oscar-winning actress in that role is nothing short of horrible.

The lizard being able to survive a hail of semi-automatic gunfire was just plain idiotic, as was him spraying his "lizard toxin" all over the place.

They missed the boat on the whole Jekyl and Hyde aspect of the Lizard character.

Steve

Steve

Bowielee can't say I disagree with you. Spider-Man was the first comic book I bought when I was 6 and have loved the character ever since. Raimi's Spider-Man movies (1 and 2 only) were fantastic. He did such a great job fleshing out the characters especially the villains. I knew I'd go into this comparing it to Spider-Man 2. Doc Ock was a much better villain. You understood his motives and felt sympathy for him. He even had a chance to redeem himself. Comparing that to The Lizard/Connors, he fell short. I liked the Raimi suit better than the revised suit in this movie.
I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man but I wasn't blown away. I think it being so close to the Raimi films it's hard to just forget those (like we were able to do with the Batman reboot).

Even now I can watch the old trailers for Spider-Man 2 and it makes me want to watch the film again. Can't say the same for The Amazing Spider-Man. I do see a lot of potential with the reboot, though.

Kovac

Kovac

Raimi's Spider-Man movies (1 and 2 only) were fantastic. He did such a great job fleshing out the characters especially the villains. I knew I'd go into this comparing it to Spider-Man 2. Doc Ock was a much better villain. You understood his motives and felt sympathy for him. He even had a chance to redeem himself. Comparing that to The Lizard/Connors, he fell short. I liked the Raimi suit better than the revised suit in this movie.
I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man but I wasn't blown away. I think it being so close to the Raimi films it's hard to just forget those (like we were able to do with the Batman reboot).

Even now I can watch the old trailers for Spider-Man 2 and it makes me want to watch the film again. Can't say the same for The Amazing Spider-Man. I do see a lot of potential with the reboot, though
Very similar to my own feelings on the movie.
I left The Amazing Spider-Man feeling that it was a good movie but also with a craving to watch the original movies because it reminded me how much I enjoyed them the first time around.

The scale and the stakes felt a lot larger in the original two movies (And i'm going to try my best to forget about the third film).

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great casting choices but I thought that all of the side characters from Spider-man were better done and more interesting.
However, The Amazing Spider-Man had the better Stan Lee cameo.

It's a shame that it was a Sony rather than a purely Marvel movie as it would have been nice for some kind of integration with the greater Marvel Universe.

Covar

Covar

Saw it last night, thought it was better than the Rami films. For one Andrew Garfield had personality and emotion, having an actor who's not just reprising his role as a 2x4 really works well. As a whole the movie is nothing Amazing/Spectacular/Sensational, but it's solid enough entertainment.

Steve

Steve

My biggest complaint with the film was the biological weapon that instantly turned people into lizard men. The next step in evolution. Not only did that seem silly but was completely unnecessary. I understand why it was put in the movie. To force Spider-Man to continue to fight an opponent who kept besting him. I would have preferred a more fleshed out Dr. Connors. Someone you felt sympathy for. That would have given Spider-Man's fight with the Lizard more meaning. Instead Dr. Connors is at best a one dimensional villain. And this may be a little petty but I didn't care for the Uncle Ben killer angle. The original origin was far superior. Spider-Man gets screwed out of a payday and lets a crook run right by him. That is pretty solid. In this version Peter wants to buy milk and fights with the store clerk over 2 cents which seemed idiotic. The robber doesn't pull out a gun or threaten anyone. He just grabs some cash, Peter sees it and gets a free milk. Oh, goodie. Then the criminal runs into Uncle Ben and decides to kill him. The first scenario is direct cause and effect. The second is more being at the wrong place at the wrong time. For Peter to stop the thief in this movie he would have had to run him down from across the street as by the time the clerk ran out the criminal had a pretty good head start. But they want it to be different from the original? Fine, then don't throw that line in by Peter when the clerk asks why he didn't help. That exchange brought you right back to the original. And why we're at it Peter had an edgy look to him. I don't think he'd be an outcast. I think he'd be knee deep in poon. Now Tobey, that's a nerd I can stand behind. Also spend a little time fleshing out Captain Stacy. He was another one dimensional character that most could give two shits that he dies. They did a good job at fleshing Uncle Ben out. But an extra 10 minutes on Connors and Stacy could have done wonders.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I just got back from it. I liked it, didn't think it's horrible, but to be honest I agree with a lot of what Bowie said. It felt like there was a lot of wasted potential, a lot of characters and plot elements could've done with more fleshing out. I dunno if they were leaving things unsaid for future sequels, but if they were then they're idiots. Don't sacrifice the quality of one movie just because you plan on making more.

Also, calling it now:

The big bad for the second film will be Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, and the film will end with the famous bridge encounter involving Gwen Stacy. Also, they're going to introduce MJ, and I desperately hope they do it with the "face it tiger" line.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was way better than the Sam Raimi one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the amount of passes this movie is getting...

Everything I hate about it, everyone else seems to hate too, but they still love the movie.

People saying that it's better than the Rami movies is just crazytown to me. The only thing I can guess at is that 3 left such a bad taste in their mouth that that is all they remember about the series.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I prefer a balance of humor and seriousness over camp and melodrama.

The criticisms you posted sounded like crazytown to me. Cast was great, lizard looked great, I thought the Uncle Ben death was handled in a more striking way, Andrew Garfield blew Tobey McGuire out of the water.

My only problem was really the credits "dun dun DUN" scene. That was just bizarre and I wish I'd just left when the credits started.

To me it sounds like some people are unhappy that it was different, while others are unhappy that it wasn't more different.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Tired and don't have a proper keyboard . I'll Get back to this later .

Kovac

Kovac

Looking back on the original movie I think that there was a lot which was better about it.

The pacing in the original seems less rushed with better timing and better cinematography.

Tobey McGuire was was more understated than Andrew Garfield but I think gives a better performance and is the more relatable Peter Parker.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Tired and don't have a proper keyboard . I'll Get back to this later .
You don't have to. I've accepted that I'm the odd man out for this movie on Halforums, but it's not like John Carter where I'm gonna run around defending it. Liked it, didn't love it, and I don't want to put anyone through a hassle tearing at it when I don't care about it enough to type a decent counter-argument. See above post of mine as evidence--that's pretty lazy of me.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I think one's enjoyment of the movie hinges on whether you liked Garfield's version of Parker/Spider-man better than Maguire's.

From what I've seen, I think I'll like this one much better.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I unabashedly loved this movie.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I unabashedly loved this movie.
Dear Charlie,

My gf was a big fan of Iron Man, and the other marvel movies, but not so much a fan of Batman Begins and Dark Knight.

Will she enjoy it if I take her to this movie?

- Stumped in Sacramento

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just got back from seeing it. Now, before I start, I want to give some context: I've never been a big fan of the original Raimi films. Were they good (except for 3)? Yes. I didn't see what the big hullabaloo was about with the first one. I thought it was good, but nothing jaw-dropping amazing. The second one was fantastic. But none of them have aged well. Raimi's tendency for camp, along with Maguire's whiny act are both grating in retrospect.

This, however? This knocked everything right out of the ballpark and I loved it.

Things I liked:
-Peter Parker, especially Garfield's portrayal of him. He's nowhere near as whiny and they really amp up the fact that he's got the mind of a scientist. People were saying he doesn't invent the web-shooters, which is a bold-faced lie. He was inspired by similar technology done by OsCorp, but he still built them himself. Big kudos all around for that.
-Gwen. Again, perfect casting and amazing chemistry between her and Pete.
-Uncle Ben. This guy felt more like the loveable Ben than the previous film by far.
-The fight scenes. Honestly, the fact that they utilized the web-shooters into the fight scenes a lot more than the previous films was great. The way he used them to emphasize his fighting was fantastic.
-The Lizard was very close to his original portray in the comics, both in his look, character, and motivation. The Jekyll and Hyde comparison could have been explained better, though.

Honestly, the thing that this movie really hits better than the originals? Heart. This felt much warmer and less campy than the previous films. It felt more grounded and character-based. The humour felt more natural (oh my stars and garters, he quips!). Just everything felt much less forced.

So yeah, I really, really dug it. Maybe because I went into it with a little lower expectations because MovieBob completely tore it apart. I don't know what movie he saw, because I thought it was great.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Dear Charlie,

My gf was a big fan of Iron Man, and the other marvel movies, but not so much a fan of Batman Begins and Dark Knight.

Will she enjoy it if I take her to this movie?

- Stumped in Sacramento
I dunno. This is kind of in between.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I know I'm rather late, but I just saw it, so there.

I think one's enjoyment of the movie hinges on whether you liked Garfield's version of Parker/Spider-man better than Maguire's.
I think that does play a major part. I really didn't want to like this movie as much as I did, I didn't want to justify the reboot. But Spider-man's portrayal is, obviously, so important to the film as a whole that the improvement I saw in Garfield (and I didn't hate Maguire) made me like it. Garfield's version just fits Spidey better, his awkwardness felt very real as opposed to Maguire's weird awkwardness. Replacing Kirsten Dunst also did not hurt at all.

@Li3n

@Li3n

All i got to say is this: Smart Lizard, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, hats off to the writer/s for the fighting ring scene and Peter's final quip to Gwen about promises... i loved those.

Jamesdawn

The Amazing Spider man movie is awesome. I love this movie. I missed Tobey Maguire in this movie. I love him as the role of spider man. He is good actor. But this movie is better movie.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You are new guy, yes?

Dave

Dave

You are new guy, yes?
He is. And he says he's from Canada even though his IP screams India. Probably spammer but I'll allow it until he does something.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Isn't it kind of late for reviewbots?

Also, still hate this movie. I particularly love the heroic way that Peter Parker gets a young minority student possibly arrested for trespassing by stealing his ID.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Killing off Gwen without the Green Goblin involved. Ugh, it just gets worse.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Killing off Gwen without the Green Goblin involved. Ugh, it just gets worse.
You mean like they did it in Ultimate Spider-Man? If it's done well, it's not that big a deal.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You mean like they did it in Ultimate Spider-Man? If it's done well, it's not that big a deal.
Didn't like it there either. Then again, there are huge chunks of the Ultimate universe that I don't care for.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I agree with Bowie. Gwen's death by the hands of the Green Goblin is such an iconic scene it seems almost criminal to mess with it. Sort of like having Lord of the Rings end with Frodo voluntarily tossing the ring into the fires of Mount Doom, instead of how it actually turned out. You lose a lot of the intent and significance of the scene.

Also, please please please introduce MJ with the classic line.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also, please please please introduce MJ with the classic line.
Who are you and why is there a big red devil in the bathroom?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Who are you and why is there a big red devil in the bathroom?
... You and I must be reading different comic books. Did MJ say that?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It was a joking reference to One More Day. Thanks for ruining it.

evilmike

evilmike

The Daily Mail has some pictures of Jamie Foxx as Electro.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Someone must have Smurfed in his Smurfflakes.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I didn't know Electro was the illegitimate son of Mr. Freeze, now I expect dozens of electrical puns. I admit this is a pretty shocking development.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I kind of like it.

I mean, you guys wanted this?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Elecrto looks like Jaime Foxx in the comics, sort of. He was imbued with more power or something and is basically living lightning. It's why Thor can stomp all over him now. Though recently he was made into some kind of negative charge or something, so Thor couldn't win as easily. Electro showed up in an Avenging Spider-Man recently.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Daily Mail has some pictures of Jamie Foxx as Electro.

He Blue Himself.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Currently, I have considerable resistance to the Electro design. I was pretty amped up for this movie, and Jamie Foxx is a dynamic enough actor to give the character the jolt it needs, but the design doesn't provide enough wattage, it's just not memorable enough. He looks like an AC/DC groupie wannabe. There's a whole battery full of potentially better designs, to make the character look like he could put the hertz on Spider-man. Right now he doesn't look like he has the capacitance to plug Spidey with anything worse than some blue sparks.

Shocking.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Currently, I have considerable resistance to the Electro design. I was pretty amped up for this movie, and Jamie Foxx is a dynamic enough actor to give the character the jolt it needs, but the design doesn't provide enough wattage, it's just not memorable enough. He looks like an AC/DC groupie wannabe. There's a whole battery full of potentially better designs, to make the character look like he could put the hertz on Spider-man. Right now he doesn't look like he has the capacitance to plug Spidey with anything worse than some blue sparks.

Shocking.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Such lethal cynicism. :D

Telephius

Telephius

Such lethal cynicism. :D
Don't worry he just blew a fuse, that is all.

drifter

drifter

Do you know what show that's from?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't, I was trying to figure that out myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1366244904][/DOUBLEPOST]Just GIS'd it, Plastic Nee-san is the show.

evilmike

evilmike

First picture of Paul Giamatti

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Amazing!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If Rhino is just some dude driving a giant truck, I'm gonna be pissed. I doubt it, but yeah.

Tress

Tress

If Rhino is just some dude driving a giant truck, I'm gonna be pissed. I doubt it, but yeah.
If this were part of the Nolan Batman trilogy, I could totally see that. Given how over-the-top the Lizard was, though, I'm sure the Rhino will be at least somewhat faithful to the comics.

Espy

Espy

Paul Giamatti is playing the Rhino?

Really?

fade

fade

wat.

BananaHands

BananaHands

wat. (new spider-man footage)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

WHY DID RHINO'S PANTS FALL DOWN

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Peter is a perv.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Rhino boxers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Movie magic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They didn't. Spidey webbed and pulled them down. They just need to add the CG.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The "Rhino" is in his pants...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

(The horn is his penis . . .)

Tress

Tress

(The horn is his penis . . .)

Awkward...

Shawn

Shawn

I'm really... really... disappointed.
Rhino = Lobotomized Angry Guy

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm really... really... disappointed.
Rhino = Lobotomized Angry Guy
Where has it said he's been lobotomized? I haven't read anything on the plot, so that could very well be, but that's a barbed wire tattoo on his forehead, not a scar.

Shawn

Shawn

Where has it said he's been lobotomized? I haven't read anything on the plot, so that could very well be, but that's a barbed wire tattoo on his forehead, not a scar.
Either way he looks like a throw-away character who's probably going to have less screen time than the Scarecrow in Dark Knight. I hope that MAYBE there is a chance it's just a quick scene that establishes the man who eventually becomes Rhino. I mean yeah, Rhino's always been a thug. But he's still supposed to be a guy who has super powers granted by science and technology. I guess my impression was that the first photo we'd see of him would be in his Rhino costume. So I was a little thrown-off.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Shawn

Shawn

I totally want to be as bad-ass as that goldfish.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Every time I wonder if someone has been miscast as a character in a comic book movie, I think to myself "Heath Ledger as Joker." Everyone thought he'd be terrible, but... well...

However, my scumbag brain tends to follow it up with "Halle Berry as Storm and Catwoman." And then it goes on a roll, "January Jones as Emma Frost, Julian McMahon as Victor von Doom, and every single person in Batman and Robin..."

Shawn

Shawn

When I first saw X-Men I asked myself "Why did they make Storm Chinese?"
True Story.
Don't ask me why I thought that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

This movie is gonna suck so hard.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

DID YOU SEE THE PICTURE WITH RHINOS ON HIS UNDERWEAR

Telephius

Telephius

DID YOU SEE THE PICTURE WITH RHINOS ON HIS UNDERWEAR
The is a horn joke somewhere here....:whistling:

Frank

Frank

Oh fuck, I just found out the movie's been written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. This movie is fucking doomed to be stupid as fuck.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Oh fuck, I just found out the movie's been written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. This movie is fucking doomed to be stupid as fuck.
Here's hoping it bombs! With rumors like this, we may get MCU reboot.

evilmike

evilmike

(via Yahoo)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's going to be the worst kept secret "surprise" since Star Trek Into Darkness.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think what we're all learning here is that readers of Game of Thrones are better at keeping secrets that readers of Spider Man. One more thing to add to the list of questions when considering someone to help you hide a body.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think what we're all learning here is that readers of Game of Thrones are better at keeping secrets that readers of Spider Man. One more thing to add to the list of questions when considering someone to help you hide a body.

Or it could just be that this is something so intertwined with Spider-Man's mythos since the 70s that most everyone knows about it by now?

Fun Size

Fun Size

You'd be suprised by the number of people who are unfamiliar with any Spider Man mythos that predates Toby Maguire.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Or it could just be that this is something so intertwined with Spider-Man's mythos since the 70s that most everyone knows about it by now?
Gwen Stacy wasn't in a popular movie or TV show yet, it'll be a shock to a lot of people.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I guess it's been so ingrained in my nerdhood for decades that I assume it was like a "Luke, I am your father" kind of deal.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's going to be the worst kept secret "surprise" since Star Trek Into Darkness.

JJ Abrams: You guys, there's going to be someone from Trek canon in ST:ID, but you'll never be able to guess who!
Entire Internet: Is it Khan?
JJ Abrams: ....................... no.. :ninja:

Enresshou

Enresshou

I guess it's been so ingrained in my nerdhood for decades that I assume it was like a "Luke, I am your father" kind of deal.

Unfortunately, no. I can't recall any non-comics fan (minus my dad, but he liked Spider-Man when he was young) that wasn't surprised when I told them there was a love interest pre-Mary Jane and why she's no longer around.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also, calling it now:

The big bad for the second film will be Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, and the film will end with the famous bridge encounter involving Gwen Stacy. Also, they're going to introduce MJ, and I desperately hope they do it with the "face it tiger" line.
Called it a year ago!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This film's going to have as many complications and problems behind the scenes as the first one.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Pity, but understandable.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe they'll save her for an after-the-credits thing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

MAN THIS MOVIES SCRIPT MUST BE PRETTY SOLID IF THEY CAN JUST REMOVE A CHARACTER IN PRODUCTION

fade

fade

MAN THIS MOVIES SCRIPT MUST BE PRETTY SOLID IF THEY CAN JUST REMOVE A CHARACTER IN PRODUCTION

El Juski is using BananaHands's account again.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys, guys, guys. It's cool though. They added a part where Spider-Man modifies his suit so he can use an MP3 player with it.

How about Spidey's new costume? Well, our favorite wall crawler will be rocking out, as his new costume has a built in MP3 player. One scene in particular that will take advantage of this addition, will be the Rochester chase scene featuring Paul Giamatti's Rhino.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

that is awesome and I don't care

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

First official image of Electro has been released.

bhamv3

bhamv3

... electrode nipples?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

... electrode nipples?

Only if his nipples are on his abdomen.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Only if his nipples are on his abdomen.
Oh I see it now. Still though, the first thing that came to mind was electrode nipples.

Fun Size

Fun Size

This is another thing that drives me nuts about superhero movies. "Hey, I got superpowers! Neat! Of course I can't go out until I've customized an outfit to represent those powers. I mean, it's not like I can go out and do crime/save people in jeans and a t-shirt."

What's funny is that I can suspend my disbelief long enough to accept "electricity guy", and then it falls apart at "electricity guy took the time/effort to customize a leather jacket to include lightning bolts, which is probably a huge pain in the ass".

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well the Heroes do the same thing. Just look at Spiderman, he takes the time to create super-highly textured leotards to fight crime in...

Fun Size

Fun Size

Exactly. What. The. Hell? It's actually a testament to the Marvel movies that I never had that moment.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Exactly. What. The. Hell? It's actually a testament to the Marvel movies that I never had that moment.
Well, they did go out of their way to explain it for Captain America. As for Iron Man, The Hulk, Loki, Red Skull, Abomination and Thor, they aren't wearing costumes.

Fun Size

Fun Size

That's my point.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is another thing that drives me nuts about superhero movies. "Hey, I got superpowers! Neat! Of course I can't go out until I've customized an outfit to represent those powers. I mean, it's not like I can go out and do crime/save people in jeans and a t-shirt."

What's funny is that I can suspend my disbelief long enough to accept "electricity guy", and then it falls apart at "electricity guy took the time/effort to customize a leather jacket to include lightning bolts, which is probably a huge pain in the ass".

Would you prefer this?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I always imagine they did it for intimidation. They just have a sense for the theatrical.

Covar

Covar

I always imagine they did it for intimidation. They just have a sense for the theatrical.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Dude, this is an adaptation of a Comic Book. A trope of Comic Book superheroes/supervillains is they hide their real identities by using costumes. If you have trouble suspending disbelief in this regard, why are you watching a comic book movie? Spider-Man in particular goes to great lengths to point out why Peter Parker has to hide his identity (to protect those you love).

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't care what anyone says, I think Foxx looks rad as hell.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's another new picture of Electro.

Covar

Covar

"everybody chill!"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Are the bolts on the suit there so he can jump stalled cars?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Dude, this is an adaptation of a Comic Book. A trope of Comic Book superheroes/supervillains is they hide their real identities by using costumes. If you have trouble suspending disbelief in this regard, why are you watching a comic book movie? Spider-Man in particular goes to great lengths to point out why Peter Parker has to hide his identity (to protect those you love).

I get the secret identities, but the blue guy? What does the lightning bolt on the arm add to whatever he's got going on.

(Also, anyone taking me entirely seriously has never actually payed attention to my posts around here.)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Lol, he has a pager stuck in the side of his head.

Far

Far

I feel like it's a containment suit of some kind rather than something he has made himself. Like Oscorp, judging by the barcode, treats him like a battery and property they own, using him to power their stuff for a bit in the movie until he inevitably breaks out, or is broken out.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I get the secret identities, but the blue guy? What does the lightning bolt on the arm add to whatever he's got going on.

(Also, anyone taking me entirely seriously has never actually payed attention to my posts around here.)
It adds style man. Super-villains gotta look good when they are out arching. ;)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It adds style man. Super-villains gotta look good when they are out arching. ;)
Hench Life

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm struggling to think of ONE where the villain is wearing anything that remotely fits your description. In almost every case, its some type of uniform/ suit they had prior to even getting their powers, like the Green Goblin/ Hobgoblin (such things are indeed designed with aesthetics in mind), and I predict Electo's suit will be no different, or they are just not wearing a costume at all but civillian clothes, like Doc Ock, or Sand Man.

The only ones I can think of that do kind of fit your description are the X-Men movies, and then it's only Magneto, really.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm struggling to think of ONE where the villain is wearing anything that remotely fits your description. In almost every case, its some type of uniform/ suit they had prior to even getting their powers, like the Green Goblin/ Hobgoblin (such things are indeed designed with aesthetics in mind), and I predict Electo's suit will be no different, or they are just not wearing a costume at all but civillian clothes, like Doc Ock, or Sand Man.

The only ones I can think of that do kind of fit your description are the X-Men movies, and then it's only Magneto, really.
I suppose it's forgivable that you forgot this guy.

6881_512x288_manicured_LxX6Gt2fuEGaA0c8M7AemA.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

Lol, he has a pager stuck in the side of his head.
Pagers are last century.

It's an electronic price tag.

hacking_electronic_price_tags.png

Shawn

Shawn

Now they just have to justify why anyone in this century with half-a-mind would call himself "Electro"

Frank

Frank

Electric Guy, you blue son of a bitch!

The name's Electro hillbilly.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Now they just have to justify why anyone in this century with half-a-mind would call himself "Electro"
Wouldn't be half as hard as explaining a villain named "The Shocker".

evilmike

evilmike

Frank

Frank

I guess the trailer at Comicon spoils that
Electro is created by genetically splicing Jamie Foxx with electric eels.

If true, Kurtzman and Orci are lazier hacks than I even believed possible.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I guess the trailer at Comicon spoils that
Electro is created by genetically splicing Jamie Foxx with electric eels.

If true, Kurtzman and Orci are lazier hacks than I even believed possible.
That's pretty much how they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man, and that was excellent.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's pretty much how they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man, and that was excellent.

Welllllll....sort of. There were electric eels involved, but it was that along with the being electrocuted by machines, and the chemical formula Doc Conners was working on.

But you are right that eels have been involved before.

evilmike

evilmike

Frank

Frank

Fuckin' awful Orci Kurtzman dialog.

Bowielee

Bowielee

This movie is going to be a glorious trainwreck of terrible. Too many villains spoil super hero movies. Rhino, Green Goblin, Electro.... too much.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I get that they're going for over-the-top unbelievable as the joke for the scenes with Peter lying to Aunt May, but it just comes across as so stupid. If Peter really told lies that badly, then Aunt May would be searching his room for drugs.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Here's hoping this one flops and Marvel Productions can start buying back their movie properties.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, does Sony retain the movie rights to Spider-Man as long as they keep pumping out movies, or does it have a definite expiration date where the rights revert back to Marvel? Same with Fox and the X-Men.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, does Sony retain the movie rights to Spider-Man as long as they keep pumping out movies, or does it have a definite expiration date where the rights revert back to Marvel? Same with Fox and the X-Men.
Same as Fox: as long as they keep cranking them out, they get to keep the rights. It's why they lost Daredevil and Punisher and why they're rushing to get Fantastic Four out.

It's a little ironic, given that Marvel keeps cranking out Captain Marvel comics for a similar reason: so DC can't publish their own Captain Marvel (aka: Shazam) comics.

Shawn

Shawn

Did everyone dislike The Amazing Spider-Man except me?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nope, I liked it. And I didn't mind the trailer. While I can't think of any examples off hand, I'm sure there have been PLENTY of stupid excuses Peter has used to keep his identity a secret in the comics.

Far

Far

Liked the extended look and am still pumped for the movie. I'm glad Peter is witty again, if fumbling.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Apparently, I'm in the minority of people who absolutely hated it.

Tress

Tress

Not the only one. I was right there with you.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Hated it.

Frank

Frank

metoo

Bowielee

Bowielee

I particularly love the scene where Peter heroically steals a minority potential intern's badge and just watches as security hauls him out of the building, possibly to be arrested.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I enjoyed it a lot. I'm fully capable of enjoying something despite flaws.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I particularly love the scene where Peter heroically steals a minority potential intern's badge and just watches as security hauls him out of the building, possibly to be arrested.
Yeah, that's up there with the time he let's a robber go free out of spite and gets Uncle Ben killed. :p

No, I liked it, though I went in not really wanting to. The cast upgrade did wonders though.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I enjoyed it a lot. I'm fully capable of enjoying something despite flaws.
So we didn't like it because we're perfectionists? I think my Netflix que disagrees with you.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think it looks fun as fuck.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, that's up there with the time he let's a robber go free out of spite and gets Uncle Ben killed. :p
Yes, those two situations are completely equatable :p

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Yes, those two situations are completely equatable :p
Yep, both are mistakes made in his pre-spider-man days before he was the heroic guy he's more commonly known to be.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seeing the new trailer, I'm kind of annoyed they're cramming so much in. They really could've had a movie with just Elektro as the villain going the route they're showing. It doesn't need this stupid Oscorp conspiracy bullshit.

My decision to see this is wavering. There are plenty of other movies I'm really excited about for this year and as glorious a trainwreck as this will likely be, I don't think I want to waste the money on it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yep, both are mistakes made in his pre-spider-man days before he was the heroic guy he's more commonly known to be.
My problem with ASM is that aside from that one scene where he saves the kid in the car, he remains the same person. The power and responsibility thing doesn't come through at all. He just comes off as a mean spirited dick. One is the catalyst for him becoming the hero in the end. The other is just him being a jerk. Along those lines, Peter wasn't an irrisponsible douche before becoming Spider-Man. He was a stand up person who makes one mistake in the heat of passion that ends up costing him his father figure. That's why he vows to shoulder the burden of becoming Spider-Man.

But, to be honest, my relationship to Spider-Man is similar to Nick's relationship to Superman, so grains of salt and all that.

However, all that aside, the movie was just plain a bad movie from a technical and storytelling standpoint. The editing was incosistant and jumpy. The story wasn't coherent or compelling and the Lizard looked like the de-evolved Toad from the Super Mario Brother's Movie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

To illustrate my final point.

terrible lizzard.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

So we didn't like it because we're perfectionists? I think my Netflix que disagrees with you.
That was not my intention. My point was that you can't infer that I didn't like the movie just because I criticized some of the dialog. I make no comment on those who didn't like the movie or their reasons.

Espy

Espy

ASM was, sadly, a perfectly mediocre and forgettable film. I didn't "hate" it but it was kind of like going on a roller coaster named "The Awesome Thrill Ride RIDE!" and then it just has a couple hills to go over and one medium sized loopy-loop. So yeah, it all worked right, no one died, and it was technically a "roller coaster" but wouldn't I go out of my way to watch it again.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I loved it, this looks amazing [pun intended], Spider-Man owns and I'm glad he'll never have to play second fiddle in Whedon's fucking terrible sandbox ever because this is going to make a fuckload of money, nerds

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I loved it, this looks amazing [pun intended], Spider-Man owns and I'm glad he'll never have to play second fiddle in Whedon's fucking terrible sandbox ever because this is going to make a fuckload of money, nerds
Ok you were just trying to hard on this one. No Funny.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ok you were just trying to hard on this one. No Funny.
Ouch. You know it's bad when even Gilgamesh won't tag Charlie with a funny.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The above is one hundred percent my actual opinions???

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The above is one hundred percent me being a tactless douchenozel???
Fixed that for ya.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

The above is one hundred percent my actual opinions???

Tress

Tress

This is normally the part where I tell you guys to lighten up and let him have his opinions.

But then Charlie had to go on a tangent and bash the Marvel movies just to piss people off, and finish it off by calling US nerds. So fire away, he brought this one on himself.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is normally the part where I tell you guys to lighten up and let him have his opinions.

But then Charlie had to go on a tangent and bash the Marvel movies just to piss people off, and finish it off by calling US nerds. So fire away, he brought this one on himself.
I use nerds lovingly like Liz Lemon. I'm the one literally talking about how Spider-Man is the best, c'mon. And it wasn't a tangent, people were talking about the whole universe intersectionality / movie rights mess. AND I like most of the Marvel movies not made by Joss Whedon.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I loved ASM because I was constantly comparing it to its immediate predecessor, SM3. Which was horrible. Tried to cram way too much into one movie.

But hey, I'm glad they learned from their mistakes, definitely won't try that again in the new movie, right? Right?

fade

fade

I still never saw it because having Peter be a dick is like having batman shoot the bad guys.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I never really landed anywhere with the last movie, and it's the same with this one. I liked Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, but the guy who played Spiderman barely made a blip on my radar. I just found him whiny and forgettable. I don't know... maybe Spiderman's just not my favorite. The only one that I really really liked was the one with Doc Ock... even though that scene at the bank makes me want to jump off a bridge.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I enjoyed ASM a lot, but I agree that it was eminently forgettable. There were very few stand-out awesome moments, the plot was kind of meh, and the lack of good villain definitely hurt. I had fun watching it, but I won't watch it again, unlike the first two Maguire films.

That said, I thought Andrew Garfield did great. Admittedly, that's also because he made the part feel like a kid from modern-day blue-collar Queens, as opposed to Tobey Maguire's excellent-but-mired-in-the-80s-version of the character. There was an edge to Garfield's portrayal that felt "right" for a modernized version of the character.

It also benefits from being far, far superior to SM3, for what its' worth. If we can't get the rights back to Marvel, I'll take eminently forgettable over giant train-wrecked turd of a film.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Another villain has been added: B. J. Novak as Alistair Smythe.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50687

Tress

Tress

I'm glad. There weren't enough villains. If we could add 5-6 more, that would be super.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How do you guys feel about Rhino Mecha?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

While I like the Sinister Six, will they have enough time to establish all the villains? It's starting to sound like it's just going to be a shoehorned-in mess.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

While I like the Sinister Six, will they have enough time to establish all the villains? It's starting to sound like it's just going to be a shoehorned-in mess.
Especially considering they're apparently planning spin-off films for the Sinister Six and Venom.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*cue picture of the leader of the Neutral planet*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I never understand casting comedic actors as villains. I mean, Smythe is fucking nuts. In the last arc of Parker Spider-Man, he killed JJJ's wife. Why would you get the dude from the fucking Office to play someone like that? I mean, at least at this point Foxx has established himself as more than just someone off In Living Color.

Steve

Steve

I like it. The original suit looks great in comics but I don't know how well a man wearing a rhino suit would look on screen. It could be perceived as campy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like that they're going with that approach.

I never understand casting comedic actors as villains. I mean, Smythe is fucking nuts. In the last arc of Parker Spider-Man, he killed JJJ's wife. Why would you get the dude from the fucking Office to play someone like that? I mean, at least at this point Foxx has established himself as more than just someone off In Living Color.
It's unsettling when someone who normally makes you laugh is being intimidating. Though I've found this isn't always the way they want ... Robin Williams in one Hour Photo. Ugh.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Robo-Rhino looks pretty cool from what little they've shown.

Yeah, and honestly 1HP Williams was freaky as hell. I just don't get where along the casting line the dink from The Office was the perfect fit, I guess.

fade

fade

Steve Martin in The Spanish Prisoner.

Espy

Espy

I can't even imagine a non-roborhino on film. I think it would be a hard sell to not look super stupid.

fade

fade

To be fair he looks kind of super stupid on paper. The art for the grafting process in Gauntlet was a good sell though. Good rhino tale in general.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, apparently Sony Pictures wants to have a Spider-Man film come out every year...

http://collider.com/amazing-spider-man-3-marc-webb/

Guys, please stop. Just, please stop. If you're so desperate to keep milking the Spider-Man cash cow, then just stick to doing a batch of Spider-Man films for a while, stop, then reboot. Don't try to cram out not just Spider-Man movies, but also films centered around Venom and the Sinister Six. You're trying to create your own universe and get a cut of that Marvel money, I get it. Here is the problem with your plan: while there may be a good number of characters connected to Spider-Man, Spider-Man is still just a small slice of the Marvel Universe. Attempting to make your own universe when you legally are just stuck to a small slice is going to backfire horribly.

Tress

Tress

Everything you said is logical and correct.

They will keep doing it anyway, because they are stupid and greedy.

Frank

Frank

All will be forgiven if somehow it leads to a Superior Spider-Man movie.

ALL.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is awesome, you're wrong, I want two Spider-Man movies a year, hail Sony

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't even mind them trying to make their own little Spider-man universe; the problem is that trying to do a movie a year is going to churn out some really shitty movies. Good scripts and effects need time, and actors need breathing room. This is just going to make people sick of Spider-man, which the character doesn't deserve.