[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

I remember hearing that Finn Jones got the part at the last minute and had almost no time to prepare. Maybe he just needed time to adjust?

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember hearing that Finn Jones got the part at the last minute and had almost no time to prepare. Maybe he just needed time to adjust?
I think it was a real difference in dialog/writing. He wasn't a whiny child in his appearance in LKs2, he was... well, the Iron Fist I'd seen in other media. In fact, he really reminded me of the Avengers:EMH incarnation.

I thought it was hilarious that Danny got more character development in his one episode of Luke Cage than he did in the full two seasons of his own show and Defenders.

We got a late start onto Luke Cage season 2 and are now most of the way through, just four episodes to go. Holy shit, this is great. The momentum hasn't quit up to where I am, and there are scenes that just have me entirely enthralled.

The episode 8 scene with Mariah and Shades in Mariah's burned-down house felt like the near-end of a movie, and that was all one continuing shot.

I kind of wish I hadn't figured out everything with Tilda from the moment in the police precinct. I immediately realized it all led back to Uncle Pete, but it would've felt like a bigger deal realizing it at the same time Mariah tells Tilda.

I though that was obvious once the police chief mentioned it, since we already knew about Pete since Cottonmouth got defenestrated.

I feel like Cottonmouth's death was a pretty big detail to miss...
People can remember a character was killed and not remember why. People can remember why but not its relevance. And on top of that it could've been a red herring since the police chief didn't specify. Neither of us were those people, but it happens and those people were probably pretty surprised during the scene in the Rand facility, which probably made it amore dramatic moment for them than for those of us who got it in the earlier episode.

Positive buzz coming from the Iron Fist season 2 trailer shown at SDCC.

For some reason I thought the next show would be Daredevil season 3.

Finished.

Wow. Wow. All the action second to last, and then a dramatic as hell final episode. This wasn't the direction I expected, but damn.

Excellent season, start to finish. This is in my top three seasons of Marvel Netflix. I'm so excited to see what comes next.

So, I’m running behind and I just finished Jessica Jones S2. I thought it was a letdown, mostly due to slow pacing, a weak “villain,” and needless fluff in the middle. I’m guessing other people’s reviews were lost in that accidental wipe... so is just me? Or did that season meander?

So, I’m running behind and I just finished Jessica Jones S2. I thought it was a letdown, mostly due to slow pacing, a weak “villain,” and needless fluff in the middle. I’m guessing other people’s reviews were lost in that accidental wipe... so is just me? Or did that season meander?
Julie and I kinda hated it. A constant torrent of misery is one thing, but we weren't invested in Jessica's relationships being torn apart, and Hogarth's subplot ended up being much more interesting. There was no way for S2 to outshine S1's tension and drama, but it didn't gave to be so dull.

I outright gave up on JJ in the middle of its lull. I don't like any of the characters nearly enough to sit through whatever it was trying to do.

GasBandit

Staff member
It wasn't very good. It wasn't as bad as Iron Fist, but the only time I was really enjoying it was the episode with all the Kilgrave hallucinations.

It wasn't very good. It wasn't as bad as Iron Fist, but the only time I was really enjoying it was the episode with all the Kilgrave hallucinations.
Once again, 13 episodes where too damn long for the story they where trying to tell... s1 had the same issue, The Doctor was just good enough to make you ignore it.

JJ season 2 was definitely several rungs below the first season in quality but it's not surprising when you have a weak villain that follows such a strong one from the first season. This is made even more evident when one of the best epidsodes saw Killgrave return albiet as a hallucination but still. Here's hoping they can re-focus for the next season and get a better villain as I really love the character and think Kristen Ritter nails her.

Just reached the Danny episode of LC season 2 and seriously hope this is how the character will be in IF season 2. Danny still didn't look as good as he should fighting but he was overall less whiny and more Zen. Plus it was awesome to see their friendship deepening, they are two of the most classic buddy superheros ever and seeing them bond was almost as good as seeing Misty and Colleen in that bar fight (more Daughters of the Dragon please!).

GasBandit

Staff member
So has anyone actually watched Iron Fist season 2 yet? Is it actually watchable, or dare we hope, worth watching?

figmentPez

Staff member
So has anyone actually watched Iron Fist season 2 yet? Is it actually watchable, or dare we hope, worth watching?
I'm five episodes in, and it's a big improvement over the first season. Danny is very likeable this time around. (Ward and Joy Meachum are still annoying little shits, and the less time the show spends on them the better.) The fight scenes are good, the plot seems overall solid, and I'm looking forward to finishing the season.

Boy it would have been nice to cast someone as Danny Rand with ANY martial arts experience, but nooooooo, we had to have someone with little charisma and nearly non-existent acting chops ON TOP of no martial arts experience.

They really had to nail that first episode. I enjoyed it!

But you know how Luke Cage s1 ended with sequel-baiting Diamondback, but then s2 just ignored that crap? Iron Fist s2 should've ditched Gary from Pallet Town and the Meachums in favor of a new villain. Hopefully that will happen later in the season.