[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

I'm gonna keep treating this as "general Marvel TV thread" because I don't know where to post about the other stuff. There seems to be a lot of stuff now.

New Warriors cast locked in, including Squirrel Girl

I was on the fence with her, but then watched a couple Youtube clips and I think she has the right demeanor. Now they just need to nail the writing.
Seriously, the bar has been set pretty high by Ryan North. Those books are a goddamned delight.

fade

Staff member
I know it's one of the quickest way to get people defensive on the internet (and to make them jump to conclusions about what you mean), but I don't care for the Squirrel Girl art. I mean, I could see it if it brought something new to the table, but it's just cartoony, and feels out of place.

I felt the same way at first, but it grew on me. The cartoony thing kind of blends well with the less serious vibe of the series and her weird optimism about everything. It's like the anti-grimdark.

I know it's one of the quickest way to get people defensive on the internet (and to make them jump to conclusions about what you mean), but I don't care for the Squirrel Girl art. I mean, I could see it if it brought something new to the table, but it's just cartoony, and feels out of place.
Might've noticed us praising the writing. There's a hint there. Kinda like when people praise Hush, but only talk about the art.

I feel there are points where Ryan writes things into the comic to push Erica outside her comfort zone. From that, she's gotten more consistent.

But I'm not sure what exactly it's out of place from when it's in its own comic.

fade

Staff member
You know, rule one of writing is show don't tell. Rule 2 is learn the rules so you know when to break them.

Punisher telling his past was really well done and a better choice than showing it.

fade

Staff member
Also half the negative plot twists in Daredevil are due to Karen inopportunely displaying some betraying emotion.

So I'm about half way through Iron Fist, and I have to say that as someone who spends a fair amount of time with kids, he basically acts like a naive, ten-year-old spoiled rich kid raised by monks. Completely confident in his knowledge and decisions because he doesn't know any better, he's just blundering through everything and taking way too long to learn from his mistakes. The pacing is off somehow (hallmark of the Netflix shows), but I'm not unhappy with the guy playing Danny at this point.

That said, I'm mostly looking forward to Jessica Jones telling him to shut up repeatedly.

Iron Fist was the weakest of the Netflix shows by far, but I think he'll be fine in The Defenders because people like Jessica Jones are there to remind Danny how much of a dipshit he is.

We just finished Iron Fist. I liked it just fine, for the reasons Fun Size said above. It probably also helps that I'm not a Marvel reader and knew almost nothing about him before Netflix announced the series, so I had nothing to compare him to. Looking forward to Defenders (and hopefully Danny will have 'grown up' some by then.)

I have no interest in Inhumans. That trailer gives me the vibe that it's For Marvel Fans Only, as in you already have to know who all those people are to be interested in watching the show. I have no idea who they are and nothing in the trailer makes me care about them or want to learn more about them (something that the Netflix trailers accomplished for Matt, Jessica, Luke, and Danny).

I have no interest in Inhumans.
You are not alone. Marvel has been trying to make them a thing for decades, and it's only gotten worse since the Disney purchase. At best fans like them as supporting characters, but outside of Lockjaw it's a whole lot of ambivalence.

Seriously, Lockjaw's great.

You are not alone. Marvel has been trying to make them a thing for decades, and it's only gotten worse since the Disney purchase. At best fans like them as supporting characters, but outside of Lockjaw it's a whole lot of ambivalence.

Seriously, Lockjaw's great.
Ah, I didn't realize he was a character (and not just a pet). So I guess there's one character in the trailer I find interesting. But besides the giant teleporting dog... meh.

fade

Staff member
I enjoyed Iron Fist well enough. It was the weakest of the Marvel Netflix shows (though Luke Cage is so far only marginally better) but that's like saying it's my least favorite cake.

I think originally the MCU had a pretty decent plan for Inhumans as mutant analogs -- giving them a convenient shortcut to explain someone with weird powers. It's a handy resource when your superhero universe is big and sprawling enough that even the general audience is outgrowing the need for origin stories for every little detail. (It's something you noitce if you've ever GMed Champions for any length of time -- sometimes you just need a minor villain who can shoot fire at the PCs without caring why he's able to do so.) The problem is that the plan got derailed in a couple of ways. First, it came with unwanted baggage. Someone in the inner circle of the MCU doesn't understand that having the Inhumans as a story concept is much more useful as a background element than trying to sell the general public on the first incarnation of the Inhuman characters as protagonists. If they had a talented creator with a passion for the characters, it could work, but I don't think they have that. (James Gunn could make it work if he were interested for example.) And, second, the feud between Ike Perlmutter and Kevin Feige and the resulting distance between the MCU movies and everything else can't have helped the original utility of Inhumans-as-mutants.

Unfortunately, I think the best scenario is that the Inhumans mini-series will come and go without damaging the MCU brand to a great degree, and hopefully diminish the power of the steering committee that used to advise Ike Perlmutter.

I have no interest in Inhumans.
I'm fine with the "Nu-humans" as characters, i.e. the humans recently turned inhuman through terrigenesis like you see on SHIELD. Those are the ones I enjoy reading in the comics.

The show Inhumans focuses on the royal family, and they're fine when they're doing what they were conceived as doing--being sometimes friends, sometimes foes to the Fantastic Four. But Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Fantastic Four, and the show seems to be doing the characters dirty anyhow, so there's nothing for fans or non-fans. It's just a wet sack of nothing in a bad wig and crap CGI.

Watched episode 1 of The Defenders. Manic editing in the opening scene, but after that it's better. Danny Rand continues to be the weakest link in Netflix Marvel stuff.

Probably will take the week to watch the whole show.

Each character's scenes ape their own show in camera angles, color grade, music. The Iron Fist stuff even managed to be disinteresting and choppily-edited.

It's super weird seeing Madame Gao be subservient to anyone. Sigourney Weaver's character must have some major pull.

It was nice seeing supporting cast from all the shows. This world feels so alive.

Cripes, I really need to catch up. I haven't even watched Iron Fist yet. And with all the negative reviews I heard about it, I'm not really feeling motivated to bother. And feeling kind of 'meh' about The Defenders.

Maybe it's just because I haven't had the time, patience, or drive to sit down and watch anything at home these days, TV shows or movies.

Cripes, I really need to catch up. I haven't even watched Iron Fist yet. And with all the negative reviews I heard about it, I'm not really feeling motivated to bother. And feeling kind of 'meh' about The Defenders.

Maybe it's just because I haven't had the time, patience, or drive to sit down and watch anything at home these days, TV shows or movies.
I know Iron Fist has its defenders :rimshot: but I really don't think it's good. If you can find a guide to its significant plot points, I'd read that instead. It really feels like a show where the showrunner had no plan, and they didn't know how to work with their lead ... or cameras.

The first episode of The Defenders is more just 10 minutes of each other show, plus 10 minutes of Sigourney Weaver plot, chopped evenly to ease people in. I think they did this in case there were people coming who'd only watched one or two of the shows. Not everything I'd hoped for having looked forward to this across the span of a shitty day at work, but I'm confident the second episode will be stronger. Hell, maybe they'll find a way to make Danny Rand work by the end of this.

Episode 2

Still kinda stringing things along, building different subplots, and then with only 10 minutes to go, we finally get to see the meetings from the first trailer ... 25% of the way through this mini-series. Definitely pulling bits and pieces from other shows into this, such as the big hole from Daredevil season 2 that we never got much follow-up on.

Watching Danny utterly fail to have any impact on Luke for most of their fight was joyous. :D That said, Luke unfortunately failed to keep the kid he was trying to help out of trouble, which is ... relevant.

Episode 3

:heart: HERE WE GO!

Damn, this was a well-structured episode. The various narrative bits of Hand-related conspiracy pull together bit by bit, Danny gets a verbal smackdown from Luke and actually starts to resemble a likeable character.

On Luke's end, he goes to the mother of the kid he was trying to help, at which point she finds out her last son is dead, the other kids having been killed in other Harlem stuff that's been going on (one being Candice, killed by Shades at the end of Luke Cage season 1). And fuuuuck, this scene is heartbreaking. And it's at the perfect point, because while the Hand has done awful shit, it's been in other seasons of other shows. This scene brings some immediacy, taking anger at them to the surface, and immediately follows it up with the heroes independently converging on the Hand's new HQ, joining up, and the resulting scene is glorious. It took until the last 15 minutes of episode 3, but the show finally flexes its muscles and gives what was promised.

Can't wait to watch episode 4. And since I haven't watched any trailers since the first one, I have now seen everything I've already seen, so the contents of the next five episodes will be a complete surprise.

How to tell if it's a Luke Cage scene: Hip hop immediately begins playing.

It's like the showrunners thought we'd forget he was black.

We burned through The Defenders really quickly. I don't remember the other series going by so fast. Were there less episodes?

I liked that they kind of acknowledge that Danny was acting like a whiny brat. JJ giving everyone attitude was great. LC was good, but the writers could be much more creative with him in fight scenes. DD was great, but Foggy and Karen were sort of a distraction. I kind of got tired of hearing the Night Nurse and Colleen cheering each other up. Enough of the pep talks. Alexandra was kind of a bore. Madame Gao still seems more powerful to me, even though they were implying that Gao was inferior to Alexandra.

I'll rank them b/c it's what we do here:
1. DD S1
2. JJ S1
3. TD S1
4. DD S2
5. IF S1
6. LC S1

IF and LC both need better villains for S2 of their shows. They better make Danny Rand into a competent hero. Killgrave was such an amazing villain, I don't know how they'll compete for JJ S2.

Not reading all that yet since I have three episodes to go, but most the other shows were 13 episodes, Defenders was only eight.

Episode 5 end

The Black Sky project was a complete failure. Matt's apartment was a new place for Elektra, not somewhere older and more rooted in her memories, yet she still wandered back to it.

fade

Staff member
How to tell if it's a Luke Cage scene: Hip hop immediately begins playing.

It's like the showrunners thought we'd forget he was black.
This is one of my main issues with Luke Cage. It's so jam packed full of stereotypes and black cultures (as in like every black cultural element in one) that in borders on blaxploitation.