The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

You know that episode of 30 Rock where Jack tells Liz that a present will reveal how well you know a person, so you can't ask for something, you have to make them work to give you something meaningful about your relationship with that person? At the end, the girl Jack likes is about to leave town and Jack hasn't told her how he feels, but luckily a bomb threat is called into a train station so she can't leave. It turns out Liz called in the threat, as her gift.

That, my friends, is how gift giving should be. I respect this philosophy immensely because even if you get a crappy a gift, you're just as much culpable for it, because you also could've worked harder to foster communication between yourself and that person. Or at the very least you've found out they're an asshole and you can cut them out of your circle of friends.

The fundraiser went off incredibly well last night. I was really surprised, honestly. We had all kinds of donations to auction off but no RSVPs. We were behind schedule with lots to do and only an hour left before out silent auction officially kickstarted, and that was just the most stressful 3 hours ever, but once everything finally got started, the atmosphere completely changed and it was actually not just successful but really fun. I thought we'd get stuffy old people and have to try and have boring conversations but it turned out to be almost nothing but animation student friends so there was lots of joking around, bidding wars and it was tonnes of fun. We wound up raising a lot of money, and I finally got to relax afterwards.

My character design teacher was also there doing caricatures, and that brought in a good sum as well:
The Cartoon Cave: Fundraiser For Dexter

Dave

Staff member
I won tickets to an advanced screen of Harry Potter. It's tonight at 6 pm. I'm starting the line at noon. I'll tell you all how it is later. You can go see it when it comes out on Friday, bitches!

There are five episodes of Castle which I haven't seen yet, but I will see them. It's taking several days per episode to download them from iTunes over here, which means I've been spending a lot of time in Cafes with free WiFi ...

Five minutes left in this download. I can't believe how excited I am, suddenly.

Cajungal

Staff member
Wow, Dave, that's great! :D

---------- Post added 11-16-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-15-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

]Seein my friends from the UK in about a week! WEEEEEE! It's been almost 2 years!

Ok, just returned from Vegas to find that I've been selected as a finalist in the Smooth Talk Your Way to Vegas Contest!!! Hahaha.

http://smoothtalktovegas.ca/ (Contest is closed right now, voting starts on the 28th)

More details here: Expedia seeks smooth talkers for Vegas contest | Marketer News

Basically if I'm in the top 7 of 20 for the public voting, I get a free trip to Vegas. If I win the contest while I'm down there, 3 more friends get to join me for a 3 night VIP stay at Planet Hollywood. WOOOT!

I'm taking 3 vacation days, which will end up getting me a week's worth of vacation.

To me, this is epic because this is the first vacation time I've been "allowed" to take in over 3 years.

Saw Roger Waters The Wall Live last night. MAN THAT WAS THE BEST CONCERT THAT I'VE EVER SEEN. I also did not have to be the designated driver.

Cajungal

Staff member
I just had one of the best weeks every with Lizzie and Arun, my friends from Britain. They're so much fun, and every time we see each other, it's not hard to pick up where we left off. I'm so sad they have to leave tomorrow... no idea how I'm going to go back to school after fitting so much fun into 6 short days. Man... it's an epic win because of just how great it was, but now I'm so bummed, because I won't see them for a long time. We're trying to plan a summer trip for next year. Hopefully it'll be doable, because we've really been trying to make plans.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Last day of work today. That's not the epic win, in case you were wondering ;) I held my last classes (watched The Nightmare Before Christmas with two sixth-grade classes :D ), returned my books, folders and keys and picked up my paperwork. I still have to finish giving my final assessment of the children, but that's well under work.

The two wins are here:

I have a job interview tomorrow in my home town, and I'm really hopeful and positive about my prospects :)

And when I was packing my things today, three of the sixth-grade girls came to me and thanked me for the past three months, saying they really enjoyed having me as a substitute teacher. One of them even gave me a hug :) I just can't help but smile thinking about that. They'll likely forget me in a while, but I'm glad I could make such a good impression on them.

K

Kiff

Last day of work today. That's not the epic win, in case you were wondering ;) I held my last classes (watched The Nightmare Before Christmas with two sixth-grade classes :D ), returned my books, folders and keys and picked up my paperwork. I still have to finish giving my final assessment of the children, but that's well under work.

The two wins are here:

I have a job interview tomorrow in my home town, and I'm really hopeful and positive about my prospects :)

And when I was packing my things today, three of the sixth-grade girls came to me and thanked me for the past three months, saying they really enjoyed having me as a substitute teacher. One of them even gave me a hug :) I just can't help but smile thinking about that. They'll likely forget me in a while, but I'm glad I could make such a good impression on them.
:thumbsup:

Man, I wish the U.S. wasn't so retarded about student-teacher relationships. I used to give all my awesome teachers in high school high-fives and hugs. Now if they let you do that, they get slapped with a sexual harassment suit.

North_Ranger

Staff member

The two wins are here:

:thumbsup:

Man, I wish the U.S. wasn't so retarded about student-teacher relationships. I used to give all my awesome teachers in high school high-fives and hugs. Now if they let you do that, they get slapped with a sexual harassment suit.[/QUOTE]

I still have to be careful, though. I'm a tactile person, so when I give a hug, it's this big, warm, fuzzy, teddy bear-like hug. And seeing how things like that can end up causing the so-called Iaculus effect aka "the blushing Elvis" situation, I have to keep an acceptable distance. The girl who hugged me, though... she was fun. A Twilight fan. I started talking to her about it once, and kept telling how much it sucks, in a joking way. And she answered in kind, defending her fandom. Fun one, she was ;)

Also, haven't seen you before, but judging by the message, your signature pic and your avatar, I think you and I are gonna be just fine...

Be careful that you don't end up with a Gaijinsmash Snuzzlebunnies situation (if you're unfamiliar, Gaijin Smash was/is the blog of a man who was teaching English in Japan and had a student who was rather... fond of him, but in a totally sweet way. One that made him nervous as hell...)

I have finally been approved for a Bursary I applied for in September!

It's a big chunk of cash, but unfortunately I can't go and spend it on whatever I want. BUT, I can finally pay off my ticket to China from the summer! Thank Jeebus!

M

makare

Epicest of Epic wins!

I conquered that damn virus (so far >.>) and I can now access my notes AND use my laptop to take my finals. SQUEEE.

I'd like to thank both Baerdog and Null who put up with me while I was frrrreaking out. :D

I'll have another epic win to post when I take the stereotypical "no longer very fat picture" pulling my old trousers' waist away from my current one. At least, I watched myself do that yesterday and It felt pretty epic to me.

Our Apocalypse game ended after the end of Turn 2. Yeah, in 13 hours of play we finished 2 full rounds. I consider this an epic win since...
1. All 4 of my Gargantuan Creatures not only survived the game, but didn't take more than half their wounds in damage.
2. In one round of shooting and assaulting, the Imperial Guards barrage units were reduce from 18 to 6 and 5 of the 6 Baneblades were destroyed.
3. Everyone had fun, despite not much getting done. We had a blast shooting and assaulting each other, and look forward to doing it again in 6 months or so, with a point limit for each person instead of by teams (6K a person, 18K total, instead of the 66K total like this time).

All in all, lots of destruction and merriment was had.

Yeah, it was absolutely ridiculous in scope. The first round the Guard player took Camouflage as his Strategic Asset, denying our shooting of taking a single heavy choice in the first turn. I'll try to get a report on the first turn up by tomorrow evening. It was spectacular to behold!