The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

So he's getting a 40x bigger bonus this year?

Now that would just flare up my paranoia.

Also, do you guys always include pre-tax earning when talking about how much you make? Over here that would just be weird.

So he's getting a 40x bigger bonus this year?

Now that would just flare up my paranoia.

Also, do you guys always include pre-tax earning when talking about how much you make? Over here that would just be weird.
It just means that they did the math to figure out how much to give us so after all taxes, we were left with $1000. Rather than giving us $1000 which then has taxes taken out as it works with our normal salaries.

Look, I got a nice bonus and I'm happy about it.

fade

Staff member
Movies led me to believe Christmas bonuses would be a thing everyone got....

I have never gotten any kind of bonus. Not even a Jelly of the Month Club.

Actually, age has made me far less sympathetic toward Clark. He's whining about his boss living in splendor, while himself living in a giant mansion of a house.

We never get bonuses. Just doesn’t happen with unions etc. We did however, just sign a new union agreement and we got our retro payment this week. It’s nice to have a holiday bonus for once :) Although it’s already been spoken for...thanks dryer fire and car whatever.

Now, if I could just get my retro for the last agreement lol...

It just means that they did the math to figure out how much to give us so after all taxes, we were left with $1000. Rather than giving us $1000 which then has taxes taken out as it works with our normal salaries.
I meant that over here we tend to default to always mentioning the net salary we make, so we wouldn't feel the need to mention it's after taxes.

I'm happy about it.
We don't tolerate that sort of thing here... you monster!

Sounds like someone may have bonus envy.

—Patrick
How do those feel anyway?

Dave

Staff member
Movies led me to believe Christmas bonuses would be a thing everyone got....

I have never gotten any kind of bonus. Not even a Jelly of the Month Club.

Actually, age has made me far less sympathetic toward Clark. He's whining about his boss living in splendor, while himself living in a giant mansion of a house.
I get one every year and use it for big purchases. Like my bed, my computer, our washer/dryer, fridge, etc.

I got the only one I've ever received last year that was around 3.5k and I knew, and was prepared, that I wouldn't get it this year but am still a little disappointed.

:(

This is why I don't do Secret Santa. We got $25 Walmart gift cards. Haven't had holiday pay or vacation time in years.

But leaving without something else major lined up is not an option. The moment I quit, I'm homeless.

Comparing wages before taxes would be horribly depressing here. Comparing after taxes is almost useless given the different tax levels. Eh.
I mean, I make about €1900 per month after taxes - my employer pays about €3600. My colleague who's 20 years older and has 3 school-age kids probably makes about €2500 and the employer pays €4500 or so. He earns more because of age, he has a higher deduction because of the children, but gets a higher nominal tax rate because of the higher gross, and...
:aaah:

Comparing wages before taxes would be horribly depressing here. Comparing after taxes is almost useless given the different tax levels. Eh.
I mean, I make about €1900 per month after taxes - my employer pays about €3600. My colleague who's 20 years older and has 3 school-age kids probably makes about €2500 and the employer pays €4500 or so. He earns more because of age, he has a higher deduction because of the children, but gets a higher nominal tax rate because of the higher gross, and...
:aaah:
Same in the US...A lot of folks in the US actually get more money back at tax time than they paid in, if their income is low enough and they have kids and stuff, with the Earned Income Tax Credit...this is a refundable credit, which means that if you get more on the EITC than you paid in taxes, you actually get the difference on your refund check.

On the other hand, between state and income taxes, I'm paying half my income in taxes.

Comparing after taxes is almost useless given the different tax levels. Eh.
That's only true if you're talking about taxes (or the services / social security benefits they provide / pay for).

But when you're talking about how much money you actually make / live on, actual net income is pretty relevant.

Important to note that this is an average. Since I pay 49.5% of my income in income taxes, plus have sales, property and other taxes on top of it, my personal tax freedom day is probably sometime mid-July. That's a depressing thought.
July 17th is Belgian average, for young people without kids and with property, like me, it's somewhere in September. At a certain point, actual communism might be preferable. (It's not, but, you know).

That's only true if you're talking about taxes (or the services / social security benefits they provide / pay for).

But when you're talking about how much money you actually make / live on, actual net income is pretty relevant.
Yes, bit it doesn't allow comparison between colleagues. Tax breaks for kids and such mean I simply can't meaningfully compare what I make with what a colleague with kids makes.

Yes, bit it doesn't allow comparison between colleagues. Tax breaks for kids and such mean I simply can't meaningfully compare what I make with what a colleague with kids makes.
Obviously different details require you to make different calculations, but it makes more sense to me to start off with your net salary, since that's what you're willing to work for.

Doublepost because I don't give a shit; it's 1am, we left because we were the only ones left in the bar and they asked for last call. She has to walk half an hour to the station because the trams already stopped their service and she didn't seem to mind in the least.

I want to make a conservative estimate and say this date went pretty well.

A 2 year old child gave me the finger! She made an excellent choice, out of all the people in the world to be the first one chosen to flip the bird to, I am deeply humble.

Got a job offer today for a new job, so I can quit waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Same pay, and within an hour's drive, so I don't gotta re-budget or sell the house.
So, the company that bought my company (and caused me to fear losing my job in the first place) made me an offer today that's more money, more vacation, and more paid holidays.

Good news and all, but too much stress for this time of year hah

Wife was making noises about wanting a new car...but after we looked everything, she was still too upside down on her car.

But it gets me thinking, and I look at KBB, and discover that I'm just about even on trade in vs what I owe. Do some looking around online, and find a dealership with some pretty big incentives. So, I get pre-approved at my credit union (which is really the only way to buy a car, if you ask me), hit the dealership at 4:15, and have keys in hand by 6:15.

She's a little bitter ;)

Joke's on him. It's a Chrysler 300.
;)
Why, yes..it is :D
1577798357310.png

https://jalopnik.com/so-you-want-to-buy-a-2018-chrysler-300-1823115703
If you asked me to describe the cliché Chrysler 300 driver a few things come to mind: Middle-agedness. Middle-managementness. The fact that no hip young person will ever see this car and say “I bet that gets great gas mileage” or “does it let me Snapchat while driving?” They want muscle, or at least the perception of it, and refinement, or the perception of that too. The car is classically stately looking, which will translate to bland stuffiness or timelessness depending on who you ask.
Sounds about right...:rofl:

Been mulling whether to put this here or in one of the 2020/NY threads, but figure it belongs here.

In September of 2017, my wife and I were approximately $187k in debt (I think). Student loans, mortgage, auto loans, credit cards, etc. Around the middle of September, we decided to Do Something about that.
As of December 31st, 2019, our family is now only ~$20k in debt, and we are looking at the very real possibility that 2021 may see us able to bring that down to zero.
This triumph is even sweeter because it was accomplished while keeping loss of human life to its barest minimum. @Emrys would be proud.

--Patrick

EDIT: The above is significant for us because previously, we could only ever service the debt, but never actually make any headway until at least one of them was satisfied. The main reason we finally decided to Do Something is because I sat down that Sept of ‘17 and calculated our remaining debt lifetime as of that moment, and it showed that if we continued our existing spending unchanged, we would be making our final debt payment and starting our retirement planning riiiiight about the time I would turn 63.

NOPE.

It was a sobering moment, to say the least.

—Patrick