The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

You all are scaring me!! I'm so afraid of doing my grad school thesis. I'm only in my second semester. I have no idea what I'd write about. I should know! I should start working on it! I only have two more years!!

I have never printed a copy of my thesis. I somehow was able to by-pass that requirement at the uni. Now it seems strange to do so. I don't really see the point. No one will ever read it. It is floating out there on ProQuest. Don't bother, unless you think bacterial communities from sulphur and natural-gas impacted environments are interesting.

Yeah, me neither.

/edit

Man, that sounds so negative. Time to go to bed. Stay in school kids!

god, mine, which was just over 50 pages, was the dumbest thing i ever wrote, considering it was based off 2 years worth of real research work i did on the pollution loading on the saint croix river.

fade

Staff member
I have never printed a copy of my thesis. I somehow was able to by-pass that requirement at the uni. Now it seems strange to do so. I don't really see the point. No one will ever read it. It is floating out there on ProQuest. Don't bother, unless you think bacterial communities from sulphur and natural-gas impacted environments are interesting.
We were required to print two hardbound copies: one for the main university library, and one for the department's library. I wanted to print a copy for myself out of vanity, but I couldn't afford it. But when I got hired by this company, I found a printed and bound copy of my thesis in their library. Yoink.[DOUBLEPOST=1453904008,1453903886][/DOUBLEPOST]
You all are scaring me!! I'm so afraid of doing my grad school thesis. I'm only in my second semester. I have no idea what I'd write about. I should know! I should start working on it! I only have two more years!!
Don't be afraid of it. It's probably the easiest thing you'll ever write, honestly. You've worked for several years on this stuff, and it'll flow out pretty easily once you get started.

Dave

Staff member
And this, folks, is why Dave is not Dr. Dave. After I got my Master's I was pressured to go all the way and get my PhD because I was really, really close. When you have a double Master's you tend to rack up some serious credit hours. I only had a few classes, a research project , and my dissertation left. The classes I wouldn't have minded, but the other two? Nope. I was fucking DONE with school by that point. Burned out.

it terrifies me how our forums are full of legit smart people, dont even look at me, I have the paper that says im really smart, im dumb as a sack of hammers.

Imposter syndrome, Ahoy!
but i dont even know anything! everyone tells me that but I cant remember anything from school, i only retained the information long enough to pass my classes and do my research then my mind purged it! I couldnt tell you the first thing about the ionic half-lifes of multi-chain bio-available pollutants anymore!

GasBandit

Staff member
but i dont even know anything! everyone tells me that but I cant remember anything from school, i only retained the information long enough to pass my classes and do my research then my mind purged it! I couldnt tell you the first thing about the ionic half-lifes of multi-chain bio-available pollutants anymore!
Well, at least you can still point your finger accusingly and say "Hey, I've forgotten more about the ionic half-lifes of multi-chain bio-available pollutants than you'll ever know!" and have it be the truth.

Dave

Staff member
We all have our areas of expertise. Mine is waving paper around so people think I'm smarter than I am.

Some grade school girls e-mailed me recently. Since I'm an author of two books, they want to use me as their person of interest in their heritage fair project.

I just...wow. I e-mailed them back and told them I'd be more than happy to help them. I even offered to send them a signed copy or two of The Dame was a Tad Polish (I'm fresh out of copies of CITY at the moment) to their school.

So yeah, this is a first for me and I'm kinda reeling from it. I don't know how to react to it. I politely asked them how they discovered me, too, because I'm still a mostly non-name writer.

Some grade school girls e-mailed me recently. Since I'm an author of two books, they want to use me as their person of interest in their heritage fair project.

I just...wow. I e-mailed them back and told them I'd be more than happy to help them. I even offered to send them a signed copy or two of The Dame was a Tad Polish (I'm fresh out of copies of CITY at the moment) to their school.

So yeah, this is a first for me and I'm kinda reeling from it. I don't know how to react to it. I politely asked them how they discovered me, too, because I'm still a mostly non-name writer.

That's really cool, Nick. Congrats!