The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I absolutely flustered my wife this morning with her Christmas gift (shooting lesson), she just kept repeating "Oh, my goodness!" while reading the card. One of the few times in our life together that I've been able to completely surprise her with a gift, because we usually do something for us together instead of individual gifts. I should be able to post some pics of the lesson Saturday.

She said yes! :D

She was so surprised she was completely speechless. She kept telling me there was no way I'd be able to surprise her, but not anymore. She was finally able to spit out a yes.

I don't think the full weight of being engaged has sunk in yet. Strange to be able to say I am.
You must really, really love that car.

--Patrick

Since money was tight this year (for various reasons, see the rant thread going back several months), we weren't sure we'd be able to get presents for our 6yo son. Thanks to a very recent windfall, we had the money for a couple gifts, and I snagged him a blue Nintendo 3DS XL for Christmas last Saturday. Well, come Tuesday, he was upset, because he never got to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas (We hadn't really asked what he wanted specifically, since we weren't sure what we'd be able to get). So, he decided to write Santa a letter telling him what one thing he wanted most for Christmas.

What did he write that he wanted most? A blue Nintendo 3DS XL.

BAM.

I got my wife The Hunger Games trilogy for her Kindle, but just telling her it's on her Kindle is kind of boring.

So, I cut out 50 little strips of paper, wrote her name on each, folded them, and put them in a wide glass vase. Then I folded a piece of wrapping paper that told her to check her Kindle and put that inside. Put "May the odds be ever in your favor" on the vase. Wrapped it, put it in a box, wrapped that. It was dorky, but she loved it.

And I have FINALLY gotten an Epic Win of my own.

The HHR is now MINE. (Yeah, yeah, the bank has the lien on it for the loan, but still.)

I'm seeing a lot of this girl lately. I really, really like her. And she actually likes me too!

I'm freaking out, I feel super-giddy, and I don't have the slightest fucking clue what I'm doing. It's fantastic. I haven't felt like this in about 7 years. I've dated other girls over that span, but it's all been blah. Kinda shitty. But this new girl (who I've actually known for a few years, but whatever)? For some reason she's got me flying high.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm seeing a lot of this girl lately. I really, really like her. And she actually likes me too!

I'm freaking out, I feel super-giddy, and I don't have the slightest fucking clue what I'm doing. It's fantastic. I haven't felt like this in about 7 years. I've dated other girls over that span, but it's all been blah. Kinda shitty. But this new girl (who I've actually known for a few years, but whatever)? For some reason she's got me flying high.
Yaaaaaaaay :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

The one's you've known for a while tend to be the best.

My finger started moving today! On its own and I can't really control it but it's moving. I hope this is a good sign that after three surgeries my nerve damage is starting to heal.

Minutes now before I am off to airport to meet my girlfriend in her hometown... Meeting the parents/family for the first time.

Slight nervousness - though she seems more nervous than I am. Here's hoping I don't do anything TOO embarrassing.

I got fed up last night with never fully recovering from my self-surgery in April (it's never been below "low-level annoyance" since then), dropped everything, and took matters into my own hands again.
I discovered that April's session had actually missed the mark. This time I managed to locate and extract the spike that was buried a full 12mm deep and has been cramping my style for most of the last year. I did not listen to U2 while I was working. I did clean up to avoid infection.

I realize this is a ... sensitive topic, but in about a week, I'm going to be back to what passes for normal since probably the end of 2012. I might even go for a jog.

--Patrick

Last edited:

Zappit

Staff member
Supposed to go back to work tomorrow, but Thursday and Friday, the schools are closed due to the snowstorm!

Hooray for peace of mind and not waking up at 5:30 to see if it's closed!

fade

Staff member
I spent a week in SC with my parents and siblings. There are six of us kids, and all of us made it but my little sister. She was broke due to her illness I mentioned in the rant thread a while back. Anyway, second day, my brother calls everyone out to his car to see the Christmas gift he got for our parents. Out steps my little sister with a bow on her head. He'd flown her in. Very cool.

Cajungal

Staff member
I spent a week in SC with my parents and siblings. There are six of us kids, and all of us made it but my little sister. She was broke due to her illness I mentioned in the rant thread a while back. Anyway, second day, my brother calls everyone out to his car to see the Christmas gift he got for our parents. Out steps my little sister with a bow on her head. He'd flown her in. Very cool.
GAHH that's adorable! :) I'm glad all the siblings could get together.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Sat down and started working on a Dill sequel today.

2,000 words later and I'm already into the next chapter!

Bender, if you would please?

Sat down and started working on a Dill sequel today.

2,000 words later and I'm already into the next chapter!

Bender, if you would please?
You know, if you want to team him up with a wisecracking Raven named Poe...

No, no, you're right... I'll go sit in the corner.

Posting here because, despite all the shit life dumped on me the last week, I'm still happier than I have been I years. :D

We got our new apartment. $1650, proof of $100k liability renters' insurance, and it's ours on Friday. This is a huge upgrade in standard of living for us. If I weren't so exhausted, I'd be bouncing off the walls.

Baby girl arrived a couple of weeks ago. Mom and baby are great (pictures later).
Trying to get to a good stopping point in the lab.
Arranging movers for the stuff and the car.
Got a condo rental 2 miles from campus.
Leaving my home state for the East coast for the foreseeable future in about a week and a half.
Haven't freaked out or lost my mind...yet.