The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Eh, no one is going to be able to match Robin Williams' irrepressible energy, might as well be Will Smith...

Last edited:
You want to know who I would have wanted as Genie for this live-action film?

Jeff Goldblum. You can't just copy what Robin Williams did, so why not go in a different direction?

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm confused about Tim Burton directing a live action Dumbo... :confused:

Pro: The Pink Elephants on Parade scene will be great.
Con: that scene will also be half the movie.

Official name for the Star Wars lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World is

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Disneyland version will open first in 2019.

First ever ride through Mickey Mouse ride, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. They talked about new theme song for ride, that is apparently written. New short to open ride, Mickey and Minnie on way to picnic and encounter Goofy driving a train and you "merge" with the shirt at that time to go through the ride.

Disney Hollywood Studios is the location, probably taking place of The Great Movie Ride.

EPCOT

Ratatouille ride in France confirmed

New 360 degree film for China

Guardians of the Galaxy ride confirmed for future world portion

New table service restaurant with space station theme

New ride experience for Mission Space Green side, low earth orbit theme

Magic Kingdom confirmed bringing Tron roller coaster to Tomorrowland next to Space Mountain. Tomorrowland Speedway is going away.

Disney Skyliner gondola system confirmed between Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, Caribbean Beach resort and Pop Century/Art of Animation resorts.

Edited to correct Caribbean Beach from Coronado Springs, my abbreviation confused myself on the notes I was jotting.

Last edited:
I'm confused about Tim Burton directing a live action Dumbo... :confused:

Pro: The Pink Elephants on Parade scene will be great.
Con: that scene will also be half the movie.
This seems like the right fit for him.

But so did Alice in Wonderland and look how that turned out.[DOUBLEPOST=1500161429,1500161384][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, we all know who should really play the genie. Someone who's played a genie before.

Shaq.

If you listen to the broadway version soundtrack they removed most (if not all?) of Robin Williams' unscripted work. Almost to the point where I wonder if there's a contractual obligation there. Regardless, the broadway genie is distinctly different, but still enjoyable, so I expect the live action will still be good even with will smith. He's not an incompetent actor, and makes an ok goof or straight man when called for.

Note that I've only listened to the soundtrack of the broadway Aladdin, and so perhaps there's a lot of RW stuff in the remainder of the play I simply haven't seen.

Disney Cruise Lines adding 3 ships by 2023, bringing fleet to 7 ships.

Pixar Fest event for Disneyland/California Adventure starting next year, new fireworks for the event.

Paint the Night parade moving over to California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier is being renamed Pixar Pier next year.

Cars Land getting a halloween overlay, Cars characters will be in costume.

Marvel Land featuring Spider-Man and Avengers to be built at California Adventure.

I think Will Smith is fine casting; my issue is in the making of the movie at all. But that's how I feel about all of these Disney live-action remakes, so they're really not for me.

I'd just like to see Disney instead do live-action remakes of some of their worse animated films, instead of only remaking the successful, beloved ones.[DOUBLEPOST=1500162121,1500162090][/DOUBLEPOST]
Disney Cruise Lines adding 3 ships by 2023, bringing fleet to 7 ships.

Pixar Fest event for Disneyland/California Adventure starting next year, new fireworks for the event.

Paint the Night parade moving over to California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier is being renamed Pixar Pier next year.

Cars Land getting a halloween overlay, Cars characters will be in costume.

Marvel Land featuring Spider-Man and Avengers to be built at California Adventure.
In case you think your posts are merging ... they're not. :p

In case you think your posts are merging ... they're not. :p
Knew they weren't, was typing between segments of the Parks & Resorts presentation at D23 (watching online).

Otherwise, disappointed that there was not an announcement for a new nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom, no announcement for new country at EPCOT.

If this was Will Smith from Fresh Prince era, I would be kinda all over the casting. I'm sure he still has that buried in there somewhere. As it is, current Will Smith is not someone I'd have chosen.

I didn't seen it mentioned either but I guess Hugh Jackman is gonna be Scar in The Lion King. I know Jeremy Irons voice isn't quite up to the task any more and this feels like a reasonable enough choice.

Also, I want Andy Serkis mocapping either Abu or Carpet or I riot.

And Rafiki.

Last edited:
I didn't seen it mentioned either but I guess Hugh Jackman is gonna be Scar in The Lion King. I know Jeremy Irons voice isn't quite up to the task any more and this feels like a reasonable enough choice.
Maybe, but apparently Jackman's reps are denying it. Last I heard, they were reportedly looking at Michael Fassbender for Scar.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss him, but I know what you mean.

How about Idris Elba? Deep voice and all that. @Dirona, what's your opinion on that one? ;)

I still don't see why we need a "live action" lion king when there are 0 human characters.

Yes, I know it'll print money which is all that matters, but this one just bothers me.

I still don't see why we need a "live action" lion king when there are 0 human characters.

Yes, I know it'll print money which is all that matters, but this one just bothers me.
Is there a special effects house employing someone's relative that is short on work, perhaps?

Is there a special effects house employing someone's relative that is short on work, perhaps?
As long as it's all private money, go nuts. It's apparently what people will pay money for, and thus, go for it. Once it stops making money, it will stop.

If you want to cry out in despair for the fact that people will keep going to see crap (See: transformers movie franchise), then that's another argument.

Honestly, of all the news coming out from d23, I was just happy to finally hear what the plot is supposed to be for that live-action Dumbo film.

Disney’s new live-action feature film “Dumbo” introduces Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell), a former circus star who finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. Circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) enlists Holt to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when Holt’s children discover that Dumbo can fly, persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandemere (Michael Keaton) and an aerial artist named Colette Marchant (Eva Green) swoop in to make the peculiar pachyderm a star.

What are you talking about? There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of humans at 1:30 in the trailer:

In all seriousness, have you seen the new jungle book remake? Have you enjoyed any of the so-called "live action" remakes?

The Jungle Book shows they can do "live action" animals with character very well. I was wondering how they were going to apply the humor and silliness of cartoon characters to live animals (humans are silly anyway, so not as big a stretch) and they did a wonderful job, changing the basic character of the humor so it fits without changing the humorous situations themselves.

That remake and the others show they can explore aspects of the stories that weren't explored in animation - and in fact because people expect/allow animated films to be more fanciful, the live action remakes force them to re-evaluate aspects of the film and change them to be more realistic. Take Beauty and the Beast - why is the entire bar jumping in to sing the praises of Gaston when it's obvious that most don't really respect him the way he thinks they should/do? That change/adaptation/explanation forced by the "live action" nature of the film was hilarious and completely in character.

The exploration of Belle's background, the relationship of the townspeople to the castle/prince, etc all added color and commentary to an already good story. They didn't detract from it.

While the original stories captured themes and ideas that were great, the live action films haven't tarnished them, and in my eyes have only expanded on them, in some ways with improvements.

I don't doubt the new Lion King will be enjoyable. They've shown a reasonable ability at turning out a film that is fun and engaging.

But yes, the bottom line is money:

160 million investment: 2.3 BILLION box office. (Beauty and the Beast 2017)

:eek:

That's a 14x return on investment over two years (with some advance capital for the pre-filming work).

Most investors feel ok with a 2x return on investment over 7 years.

14x.

2 years.

If you had a printer that could print $100 bills, it would have to print 21 of them every minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year for two years to produce the same income.

Granted, that particular film is a bit of an outlier, but even if they only get a 8x or 10x return on investment it'll still be worth it, and they're releasing a new one nearly every year. On top of the other films which are new (star wars, marvel, star trek) from other properties. And they're still releasing blockbuster animated movies (Moana, Frozen, etc). It's not as if these new films are replacing other new film concept development.

So of course they're doing it for the money. Specifically for the 7 billion dollars they grossed in film in 2016, and their continual trek to improve that bottom line each year.

But they're still good movies, and given what I've seen of them so far, I have no doubt the Lion King remake will be very enjoyable.

I haven't seen them as I'm not too interested. Honestly, I've never really been a big Disney fan (in terms of their animated canon, not other studios they own). It might just be because Lion King is probably the only one I really love and Im just defensive about them remaking a movie I care about.

I've seen the new Jungle Book and the new B&tB and liked both...But I'm still apprehensive of Lion King. It's probably my most treasured Disney, and I'm not sure they'll be able ot do it justice in live action. The new Jungle Book and B&B worked but they're very different; in some ways less humorous/funny. Making things more "realistic" isn't necessarily a good thing. And I really have a bit of a WTF over those bones in the trailer.