The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

So Huey is the bookish one, Dewey is the headstrong one, and Louie is skittish?
And Webby will be the solid, rational one who behaves like a normal child because she's the only girl?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So Huey is the bookish one, Dewey is the headstrong one, and Louie is skittish?
And Webby will be the solid, rational one who behaves like a normal child because she's the only girl?

--Patrick
Ed, Edd and Eddy taught me the dangers of trying to assume personalities/roles from prepromotional material alone.

Ed, Edd and Eddy taught me the dangers of trying to assume personalities/roles from prepromotional material alone.
It was a different time, then.
A time when everything didn't have to be sorted into neatly-labeled boxes to facilitate consumption.

--Patrick

It was a different time, then.
A time when everything didn't have to be sorted into neatly-labeled boxes to facilitate consumption.

--Patrick
I'm not so sure... virtually all of the most successful animated shows right now are succeeding despite being completely fucking insane.

I'm not so sure... virtually all of the most successful animated shows right now are succeeding despite being completely fucking insane.
Yes. And I'm all for it.
But not Disney. Disney these days is all about being safe. Except for "Gravity Falls," I don't know of any recent series that didn't stick to some Formula.

--Patrick

Yes. And I'm all for it.
But not Disney. Disney these days is all about being safe. Except for "Gravity Falls," I don't know of any recent series that didn't stick to some Formula.

--Patrick
I don't know about that, "Wander Over Yonder" and "Star vs the forces of evil" can get pretty dark and crazy. Both shows I REALLY recommend.

Last edited:
Two series I didn't know about.

--Patrick
Both great shows, first season of Wander is mostly silly times with some AMAZING imagery but by season two they get a kick ass over-arching plot. Star Vs. the forces of Evil starts OUT like a basic magical girl cartoon at first, but builds the foundation to a REALLY deep story.

Disney has announced that there will be a live-action Little Mermaid movie, and both Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda are working on the songs for it.

Disney has announced that there will be a live-action Little Mermaid movie, and both Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda are working on the songs for it.
While I love the Little Mermaid, I wonder how that's going to turn out....And I'm also worried about the interpretation. Frankly, the message is....not all that modern. "Soit belle et tais-toi" is sort of an outdated view of femininity.

While I love the Little Mermaid, I wonder how that's going to turn out....And I'm also worried about the interpretation. Frankly, the message is....not all that modern. "Soit belle et tais-toi" is sort of an outdated view of femininity.
Well, I guess we'll see how Beauty and the Beast turns out.

Well, I guess we'll see how Beauty and the Beast turns out.
It's easier to re-interpret B&B in a modern way, because the message has more layers - some of which are old)fashioned, others still work. TLM has some parts that can still be used, but there's less meat to the story ,really.

(and more fish.)

I don't think it's fair to say that Ariel didn't communicate. Wall-E proved that speaking isn't necessary to carry a role, and I suspect that the story will still resonate with the target audience even if they follow the original.
As we've seen, though, the live action ones are very interesting in their own right, so I'm not too worried.

Still want a remake of The Rescuers.
I suppose they're deliberately avoiding this since today's movie climate would require it be too grimdark.

--Patrick

I could see this one really causing trouble because people will flip out over whoever replaces Robin Williams as the Genie (and yes, I know they've done it before).
Wish #1: I wish you were voiced by Robin Williams.

They could ask Robbie Williams to voice him? Stay as close as possible :p