[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

If I might chime in on the Superman business, while it did initially bug me that Superman killed someone in Man of Steel, I am ultimately not as infuriated with it because I could see such an instance potentially reinforcing his "no-kill" stance and serve as a stepping stone towards becoming the beacon of hope that he is. I wouldn't write him as killing, but I can see what they could have done with it. Now, that's the thing: this new line of DC films offers no inclination that Superman will become that. It seems that, instead of becoming the positive figure who fights for truth and justice, he'll be just another dark and gritty hero. That's what is the real problem: the core of Superman is in serving as THE positive force for good and what DC is planning looks to be missing the core of who Superman is.

It is true that you can change the trappings and elements, but you must capture the core of the character. Otherwise, what do you have?

If I might chime in on the Superman business, while it did initially bug me that Superman killed someone in Man of Steel, I am ultimately not as infuriated with it because I could see such an instance potentially reinforcing his "no-kill" stance and serve as a stepping stone towards becoming the beacon of hope that he is. I wouldn't write him as killing, but I can see what they could have done with it. Now, that's the thing: this new line of DC films offers no inclination that Superman will become that. It seems that, instead of becoming the positive figure who fights for truth and justice, he'll be just another dark and gritty hero. That's what is the real problem: the core of Superman is in serving as THE positive force for good and what DC is planning looks to be missing the core of who Superman is.

It is true that you can change the trappings and elements, but you must capture the core of the character. Otherwise, what do you have?
I was thinking the kill plus Smallville/Metropolis getting demolished might be what leads Batman to feeling like Supes needs to be taken down, so in that light I can see the way things went making more sense.

To be fair, it's perfectly possible that a good writer could take the introduction story we got in Man of Steel and use it as a way to strengthen the core values of the Superman we all know and love. The guilt of killing Zod could be what he needed to become the paragon he is in the comics. It could be a deep and emotional impact that solidifies his core values and makes him want to be the best person he could be.

None of that will happen, because the people making these movies are terrible, but one can dream.

That costume is pretty awesome. I really want this movie to be good, regardless of how I felt about MoS. I hope it manages to come out alright.

...Okay, for a lot of my complaints for how they have been planning and making this Batman v Superman film, that costume does look cool. I might have added a little more color to it, but it realistically makes more sense for what an Amazon warrior might wear.

Also, I've read a description from those who witnessed the teaser shown for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. According to reports:

"Batman is standing on a Gotham rooftop in the rain. His costume isn't what we've seen already. It's big and bulky, like his armor in The Dark Knight Returns. His eyes light up, solid white. He's moving a tarp, revealing the bat signal He turns it on and the camera tracks up to the sky. Superman is there, hovering in the light, and he doesn't look happy. His eyes light up with heat vision as he glares at Batman."

figmentPez

Staff member
So, Gal Gadot looks pretty fuckin' awesome.
Honestly, I'm not blown away. I want to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but right now it looks merely okay. And I'm not at all sold on Gal Gadot in the role. She looks more ballerina than Amazon. Don't get me wrong, ballet takes tremendous strength and ability to work through pain, but it's a different archetype than Amazon warrior. I was really hoping for someone that looked like a tall, almost beefy, warrior princess. Like a 6 foot tall version of Samantha Wright:

Honestly, I'm not blown away. I want to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but right now it looks merely okay. And I'm not at all sold on Gal Gadot in the role. She looks more ballerina than Amazon. Don't get me wrong, ballet takes tremendous strength and ability to work through pain, but it's a different archetype than Amazon warrior. I was really hoping for someone that looked like a tall, almost beefy, warrior princess. Like a 6 foot tall version of Samantha Wright:

So what you want is an actress that doesn't exist.

Dark dark dark, bleak bleak bleak, gloom gloom gloom. Not to mention colour washed. Where's the gold, blue, and red?

I like the design, but it's sorely lacking in any bright colours. Par for the course for what Warner Bros wants these days.

Dark dark dark, bleak bleak bleak, gloom gloom gloom. Not to mention colour washed. Where's the gold, blue, and red?

I like the design, but it's sorely lacking in any bright colours. Par for the course for what Warner Bros wants these days.
Part of that is the brown filter they used. I think they went with bronze over gold though.

In the grim darkness of the DC Movie Universe, the world is dirt.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't she like 5'9" or 10"

That's well above average.
According to google, 5'9". But I remember a promotional picture of her by a car sometime last year that seemed like she could have gotten inside it without ducking. Was like maybe a head, head and a half tops taller than it.

Not exactly "amazonian."

Hey everyone, just remember a person's height matters for shit in movies. Tom Cruise is 5'7" but they make him look 6'0 in everything he's in. The tallest member of the Fellowship of the Ring was not Gandalf, but Gimli, and Machete himself is only like 5'5, but he looks like a goddamn giant.

I don't like that they have given a "warrior" high-heels for footwear. A warrior would be wearing something a little more practical than that.

Are WW's powers still based off of blessings from the gods? If so, she doesn't have to be a brickhouse to be a warrior since the abilities are "magical" in nature rather than just hard work.

I don't like that they have given a "warrior" high-heels for footwear. A warrior would be wearing something a little more practical than that.

Are WW's powers still based off of blessings from the gods? If so, she doesn't have to be a brickhouse to be a warrior since the abilities are "magical" in nature rather than just hard work.
The same should go for Superman too, it is not their muscle fibers that are doing all the work...

File this under "until it gets taken down"...

Take 2! (This didn't even make it until I finished the post)
Take 3!

Last edited:
The look of it is cool; reminds me of the animated series. Probably still going to suck because it's Snyder, so onward slow-mo, but we'll see. That bat signal is silly as hell.

I'm guessing that while this is in the style of the Nolan Batman movies, they're ignoring those films.