The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

I have a variable 20-60x spotting scope that I've had since I was perhaps 13 or so, and I noticed it even with this. If you zoom in close enough to see the surface of the moon, you have to work to keep it in field or else it'll drift right off before you get a good look.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Cutting a watermelon with a scimitar.

ON A GLASS TABLE.

[DOUBLEPOST=1435608374,1435608014][/DOUBLEPOST]The "awesomeness" of this video is a little debatable, as the prank is so elaborate and mean that it even makes ME feel a little sorry for PARIS HILTON.

While flying over Dubai, an Egyptian show called “Ramez in Control (Ramez Wakel el-Gaw)” thought it would be a good idea to trick her into thinking that her plane was about to go down in flames.

Several minutes after takeoff, the aircraft starts emitting a strange smell and a warning sound that makes everyone really nervous.

“Is this normal?” Hilton asks in the video.

The pilot then lets the plane drop for a bit with the engines off and performs other various stunts while a few passengers actually grab parachutes and leap out the door.

While it was meant to be a joke, not everyone is laughing. Commenters online are calling it both “disturbing” and “mean.”

Because this is basically everyone’s worst nightmare.

Hilton has also been tweeting out links to various articles written about the prank, clarifying that her reactions are all very real.

On a TEMPERED glass table.
I hate tempered glass tables. I will never get one. One scratch and you're doomed.

Also, I hate pranks that try to scare people. Too much chance for things to go horribly wrong.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, I hate pranks that try to scare people. Too much chance for things to go horribly wrong.

--Patrick
Hey, I like a good scare prank, but only on stupid things like a fake chainsaw maniac in public, or a mutant spider costume put on a friendly dog, or anything paranormal staged anywhere in south america (apparently).

But making someone think, for a prolonged period of time, that they are imminently doomed from something as real and common as a plane crash, a situation in which they have no control and can only sit there and be terrified for what I assume to be dozens of minutes... thaaaaat's kinda beyond the pale in even my book.

Dave

Staff member
That's really, really fucked up. I'm not a Paris Hilton fan (or at least the way she used to be before she seemed to have grown up a bit), but this is just fucking wrong.

fade

Staff member
I know it's puerile, but toddlers swearing never fails to make me grin.
When my son was 3 or so, he was trying to build this impossible Lego structure. It failed, and he said, "Dammit!" in the same inflection and half-whisper that I do when I'm frustrated. My wife and I lost it for a long time. So of course he started chanting "Dammit!" That was the day I learned that you have to curb your language around your kids.

Here's a blast of Canadian nostalgia: YTV was the Canadian kids network for many decades. In between shows, they would have PJs (Program Jockeys) to talk about the shows, run contests, have guests, etc. One, PJ Katie, had an ongoing segment called PJ Katie's Farm, where she took Play-Doh farm animals and acted out stories with them. It weirdly became popular enough that she was given her own show. The whole thing was done ridiculously cheap and she improvised the entire thing.

Oddly enough, the show also ran late at night (like 1:00 AM) and was apparently a very popular "stoner" show.

Here's a blast of Canadian nostalgia: YTV was the Canadian kids network for many decades. In between shows, they would have PJs (Program Jockeys) to talk about the shows, run contests, have guests, etc. One, PJ Katie, had an ongoing segment called PJ Katie's Farm, where she took Play-Doh farm animals and acted out stories with them. It weirdly became popular enough that she was given her own show. The whole thing was done ridiculously cheap and she improvised the entire thing.

Oddly enough, the show also ran late at night (like 1:00 AM) and was apparently a very popular "stoner" show.

PJ Katie was annoying as hell and I was so happy when PJ Katie's Farm got moved to Treehouse and I no longer had to hear those voices on YTV.

You and I are no longer friends. PJ Katie was cute as hell. I had a big crush on her. And Ashna. And Sugar.
PJ Katie was fine as long as she wasn't doing PJ Katie's Farm. Those voices, man.

Sugar.... well she was just a real life anime character. I don't remember an Ashna.

I do feel like at one point there were two PJ Katies though? And one changed her name, then changed it back?

Also: http://www.narcity.com/toronto/ytv-hosts-from-the-90s-and-where-they-are-now/#
T
He article fails to mention that the reason Snit was ejected into space was because he was not Y2K compliant.

It's also lax on Phil Guerrero, who's been hosting shows on Canadian TV almost steadily since YTV.

I really miss Anti-Gravity Room.

PJ Katie = BIG YES.

Sugar = She sounds like a child. No.