The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

Hah... They are soooooo bad at it! And contra wasn't even that hard. I used to beat it with no cheat code by myself back in the day.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
It's both sad and hilarious how many of them shot ONCE at the turrets and thought, "Oh, can't kill those..."

Every time I see one of these, I want to make sure there's some sort of "where are they now?" follow-up ten years later.
Mostly because Madison. I worry about her.
[DOUBLEPOST=1433733319,1433733027][/DOUBLEPOST]
Please do not point at aircraft, police cars, or moths.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, I'm sure Madison will be just fine. Her husband will make partner by 30, and they will have three kids whose names alone cannot communicate their gender.

Dave

Staff member
Holy shit that was awesome from start to finish. An actual bad guy doing bad guy things. Most shows (cartoons) don't really show how depraved the bad guys get. Yes, I know there are some so you don't need to name them, but you have to admit they are the exception.

fade

Staff member
I like that it doesn't pull the punches they had to on TV - IE, cutting away from the impact of punches, actual death/dismemberment/blood, etc.
I sat for 30 seconds trying to puzzle out what show TV-IE was before facepalming.

Ugh. Really? I don't know which was worse: the cut up bodies in the refrigerator (because THAT'S something the superhero genre needs more of) or Harley flaunting her panties with the torn up pants. What would have been so wrong with just giving her pants? It's all the extreme (no, wait, excuse me: EXTREEEEEEME!) crap that's all over comics these days and why I barely read DC or Marvel anymore.

Suddenly, my interest in this movie has lowered considerably.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Ugh. Really? I don't know which was worse: the cut up bodies in the refrigerator (because THAT'S something the superhero genre needs more of) or Harley flaunting her panties with the torn up pants. What would have been so wrong with just giving her pants? It's all the extreme (no, wait, excuse me: EXTREEEEEEME!) crap that's all over comics these days and why I barely read DC or Marvel anymore.

But that's just it, it's a movie, not a comic (albeit a movie based on comics). Maybe people who've been up to their eyeballs in comics the last 20 years are drenched in it, but there are plenty of guys like me who never really had time for comics but still grew up watching Batman TAS and still liked JL/JLU as young adults - and to us, heads in refrigerators, on screen maggoty corpses and chainsaw bloodspray (not to mention the use of non-G rated epithets like "bitch") are unfamiliar and jarring to us (like when the Dean said the word "fuck" in the Community finale). It made me sit up and take notice that maybe the kid gloves were coming off of the DCAU a little bit, for once.

But that's just it, it's a movie, not a comic (albeit a movie based on comics). Maybe people who've been up to their eyeballs in comics the last 20 years are drenched in it, but there are plenty of guys like me who never really had time for comics but still grew up watching Batman TAS and still liked JL/JLU as young adults - and to us, heads in refrigerators, on screen maggoty corpses and chainsaw bloodspray (not to mention the use of non-G rated epithets like "bitch") are unfamiliar and jarring to us (like when the Dean said the word "fuck" in the Community finale). It made me sit up and take notice that maybe the kid gloves were coming off of the DCAU a little bit, for once.
I guess I'm just tired of not being able to enjoy anything from DC anymore. It used to be my favourite superhero universe.

On the other hand, I want to approach it from the point of view that this isn't meant to be that universe, and more of an Elseworld. Even then, I'm just tired of the superhero genre trying to be EXTREEEEEME. You can be mature and grown up without relying on such cheap tactics.

figmentPez

Staff member

The bodies in the fridge thing was bland and stupid. Using dead bodies to create a horrific diorama has been done so many times before. It's still gross, but now it's gross and cliche. Bioshock wants it's schtick back. I realize that this is an Elsewords type tale, but it's a really bad choice for Harley Quinn in this short, because it has no motivation. If she has some backstory in this universe that explains why she's doing this, it's not even hinted at. It's just being sick and twisted for it's own sake, and that doesn't fit Harley Quinn, so it needs an explanation why she's different in this universe.

It's easy for me to know that I find the lingerie Harley was wearing was worse than the bodies, though. Those aren't torn up pants, Nick. Those are stockings and a garter belt. She's wearing outright lingerie, and the frilly white panties are there to make it blatantly clear. Because if the macabre diorama wasn't cliche enough, we've got to have the female villain wearing a sexy outfit for absolutely no reason! The lingerie doesn't fit in at all with the either the circus clown theme, or with the wholesome family diorama. This is not well thought out character design, this is just pointless sexualization simply because she's a female villain. If they'd wanted her to fit in the theme of the crime she's committing, she'd be dressed as a twisted version of a stereotypical '50s mailman, or a beatnik... Hell, yes. Beatnik Harley Quinn, that would have actually fit the theme!

If they absolutely felt they needed to go with lingerie, they could have at least gone with '50s style pinup wear.[DOUBLEPOST=1433870838,1433870549][/DOUBLEPOST]Almost forgot this little bit, from an article about Gods and Monsters:

"We’re going to be adding Mary Marvel, and I think we’ve got a take on her that no one in the comics has ever done."

I don't want to know. After the pointless design of Harley, I don't want to know what they've done to Mary Marvel.

Dave

Staff member
Good assessment of the Harley Quinn costume. I was more talking about the evil acts and hadn't really noticed the outfit because most comic artists draw outrageous female characters.

The bodies in the fridge thing was bland and stupid. Using dead bodies to create a horrific diorama has been done so many times before. It's still gross, but now it's gross and cliche. Bioshock wants it's schtick back. I realize that this is an Elsewords type tale, but it's a really bad choice for Harley Quinn in this short, because it has no motivation. If she has some backstory in this universe that explains why she's doing this, it's not even hinted at. It's just being sick and twisted for it's own sake, and that doesn't fit Harley Quinn, so it needs an explanation why she's different in this universe.

It's easy for me to know that I find the lingerie Harley was wearing was worse than the bodies, though. Those aren't torn up pants, Nick. Those are stockings and a garter belt. She's wearing outright lingerie, and the frilly white panties are there to make it blatantly clear. Because if the macabre diorama wasn't cliche enough, we've got to have the female villain wearing a sexy outfit for absolutely no reason! The lingerie doesn't fit in at all with the either the circus clown theme, or with the wholesome family diorama. This is not well thought out character design, this is just pointless sexualization simply because she's a female villain. If they'd wanted her to fit in the theme of the crime she's committing, she'd be dressed as a twisted version of a stereotypical '50s mailman, or a beatnik... Hell, yes. Beatnik Harley Quinn, that would have actually fit the theme!

If they absolutely felt they needed to go with lingerie, they could have at least gone with '50s style pinup wear.[DOUBLEPOST=1433870838,1433870549][/DOUBLEPOST]Almost forgot this little bit, from an article about Gods and Monsters:

"We’re going to be adding Mary Marvel, and I think we’ve got a take on her that no one in the comics has ever done."

I don't want to know. After the pointless design of Harley, I don't want to know what they've done to Mary Marvel.
The heads in the fridge was mostly there for the sight gag of having a goofy 'grape soder' included along with them. And you do learn why she has the bodies there. She's making them into dolls and toys. "They were boring, but now they'll be fun forever!"

GasBandit

Staff member
The heads in the fridge was mostly there for the sight gag of having a goofy 'grape soder' included along with them. And you do learn why she has the bodies there. She's making them into dolls and toys. "They were boring, but now they'll be fun forever!"
Yeah, the fridge was for the comedic effect of storing actual food she intended to consume (presumably), the grape drink, next to all the heads.[DOUBLEPOST=1433871832,1433871609][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the lingerie doesn't really stand out to me, because every version of Harley in costume has been thinly veiled fetish bait. Even her first appearance in her neck-to-toe red and black "might as well be painted on" bodysuit.

Plus, the stitches around her neckline made me think that maybe this might have been Harley's head stuck on someone else's body and reanimated... at least until Batman fed off her, as I don't think... well, heck, I have no idea if a vampire would find a frankenbeing nutritious.

figmentPez

Staff member
If she has some backstory in this universe that explains why she's doing this, it's not even hinted at.
Oh, haha, it's not even hinted at because it doesn't exist! "[this Harley Quinn is] not radically different than the Harley from the comics or from our animated stuff. She’s kind of an extreme version of Harley, but she’s not a ground up reboot." source

EXTREME! Yeah, because the Harley Quinn who rescues women from abusers, calls out Dr. Fate for not doing enough to help a sick child, and who puts her degree in psychotherapy to use for a kid in need, is obviously just going to just kill for fun when she's turned up to 11! That's totally in line with her most prominent character traits!

Fucking bullshit. This shows zero understanding of the character, or what it means to exaggerate a character's personality traits.

Oh, haha, it's not even hinted at because it doesn't exist! "[this Harley Quinn is] not radically different than the Harley from the comics or from our animated stuff. She’s kind of an extreme version of Harley, but she’s not a ground up reboot." source

EXTREME! Yeah, because the Harley Quinn who rescues women from abusers, calls out Dr. Fate for not doing enough to help a sick child, and who puts her degree in psychotherapy to use for a kid in need, is obviously just going to just kill for fun when she's turned up to 11! That's totally in line with her most prominent character traits!

Fucking bullshit. This shows zero understanding of the character, or what it means to exaggerate a character's personality traits.
X
Which is odd, since didn't Timm basically invent the character? Source: my own shaky memory and flights of fancy.

Edit: invert - > invent

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Which is odd, since didn't Timm basically invert the character? Source: my own shaky memory and flights of fancy.
I believe you are correct. She was originally supposed to be a one-off hench for the joker in a single episode of Batman TAS that resonated so much they brought her back.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Joker isn't present. He's the reason that Harley Kills, in my opinion. When she's not with the Joker, Harley isn't known for killing innocents. In fact, she's got a soft spot for children. Turning her into someone who kills people to turn them into toys isn't fitting with her character in the comics, or the animated series.

Which is odd, since didn't Timm basically invert the character? Source: my own shaky memory and flights of fancy.
I believe Paul Dini had a much larger hand in it. He wrote her debut episode and it was his idea to give this Joker a sidekick. I believe he wrote most episodes where she appeared, but don't quote me on that.

He also wrote her DC Universe debut in a No Man's Land one-shot during that time.

Unfortunately, Harley from the cartoon doesn't really work because Joker is even more of a psychopath - to say nothing of a mass murderer - in the DCU compared to the animated universe.

figmentPez

Staff member
Which is odd, since didn't Timm basically invent the character? Source: my own shaky memory and flights of fancy.

Edit: invert - > invent
Eh, I get the impression that Bruce Timm invented Harley Quinn the way that Rob Liefeld created Deadpool. (Who, interestingly enough, has a lot in common with Harley Quinn when it comes to caring for children and not being an inhuman monster, despite being flakier than the before shot in a dandruff commercial.)

Dave

Staff member
Plus, the stitches around her neckline made me think that maybe this might have been Harley's head stuck on someone else's body and reanimated... at least until Batman fed off her, as I don't think... well, heck, I have no idea if a vampire would find a frankenbeing nutritious.
So Count Chocula wouldn't eat Frankenberry?[DOUBLEPOST=1433872703,1433872658][/DOUBLEPOST]
Eh, I get the impression that Bruce Timm invented Harley Quinn the way that Rob Liefeld created Deadpool. (Who, interestingly enough, has a lot in common with Harley Quinn when it comes to caring for children and not being an inhuman monster, despite being flakier than the before shot in a dandruff commercial.)
Hell, in Injustice: Gods Among Us she becomes a super hero, basically.