The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm always afraid to post something, with the fear that Gasbandit has posted it first...

but what the hell. ;)
My posting has really gone downhill since my promotion. I just don't have the time to sift my RSS reader like I used to. So you guys are gonna have to step up and pick up my slack!

Kids vs Natto (Japanese fermented beans and rice)

I like natto, and it's heart healthy.

I asked about it at my local Japanese restaurant before I'd ever had a chance to try it. The counter girl looked at me like I was insane. It's like the Japanese version of Marmite. Definitely an acquired taste.

GasBandit

Staff member
Opening a shaken can of soda at 2½ atmospheres of pressure:

That's not fair, that guy gets to go to space AND the ocean floor?! He's hogging all the adventure!

Also, does that mean if he opens the soda WITHOUT shaking it up, air rushes INTO the can when he pops the top?

That's not fair, that guy gets to go to space AND the ocean floor?! He's hogging all the adventure!
Also, does that mean if he opens the soda WITHOUT shaking it up, air rushes INTO the can when he pops the top?
And he's wearing a local shirt, eh, @stienman?
In answer to your question, Gas, my guess is the answer is "not really." That's because a can is designed to be really good at containing pressure but not externally resisting it. Also I assume over time enough gas will escape from the liquid to bring internal pressure up until the delta between internal and external pressure is the same as it would be on the surface.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
And he's wearing a local shirt, eh, @stienman?
In answer to your question, Gas, my guess is the answer is "not really." That's because a can is designed to be really good at containing pressure but not externally resisting it. Also I assume over time enough gas will escape from the liquid to bring internal pressure up until the delta between internal and external pressure is the same as it would be on the surface.

--Patrick
So what you're saying is, if the atmospheric pressure around the can is higher than the pressure of the contents of the can, it will likely equalize by squashing the sides of the can a little bit like a plastic bottle does if you put it in the fridge.