The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

I am completely guilty of this. Once I looked at my YouTube history and I was completely embarrassed by the number of boob-based thumbnails.
Don't be embarrassed. Your viewing history is ENHANCED by boob-based thumbnails.[DOUBLEPOST=1406122138,1406122000][/DOUBLEPOST]I swear, if I had a nipple for every time I clicked on a boob thumbnail'd video...

fade

Staff member
The best part was when she started beating on his chest and yelling, "DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!"

fade

Staff member

Home built gas turbine motorcycle. By home built, I mean, he actually machined the engine himself. There are numerous test videos on YouTube showing the various stages over 2 years. He plans to take it to Bonneville to break the motorcycle land speed record.

So, apparently Mike Tyson is getting an animated show on Adult Swim. It involves him solving mysteries with the help of an Asian girl, the ghost of the Marquess of Queensbury, and a drunk pigeon voiced by Norm MacDonald.

Really? Not "Scooby-Doo?" 'cuz that's the vibe I'm getting.
Also, I wonder how long it'll be before they do a Balrog (or other SFII) joke.

--Patrick
It's clearly trying to evoke Scooby-Doo, but maybe Gas was simply referring to mimic old cartoon styles, since Venture Bros is clearly inspired by Johnny Quest.

I'll admit, the dialog and varied character choices are closer to VB (or some sort of Seth McFarlane production), but the van is what cinched it for me (as to which one they were trying to emulate, that is). I see a lot of that older Hanna-Barbera-inspired animation styling in there (Herculoids/Johnny Quest/Thundarr/etc). They're obviously trying to push lotsa nostalgia buttons while they simultaneously try to overwhelm you with absurdity.

--Patrick

It's clearly trying to evoke Scooby-Doo, but maybe Gas was simply referring to mimic old cartoon styles, since Venture Bros is clearly inspired by Johnny Quest.
It feels like a parody of not just Scooby-Doo, but a riff on that whole wave of "odd crusaders of mysteries". Don't forget folks like Speed Buggy, the Funky Phantom, Captain Caveman, etc. Hanna-Barbera recycled the concept a lot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas' Texan Tile and Pork Sausage Distillery
You know, it only just now occurs to me how "problematic" the early section of the video is where the guy smashes his way into the woman's apartment and proceeds to demolish her belongings with his thrusting dick, rendering all her attempts at self defense ineffective, until at last she comes around to enthusiastically join/identify with him.

I mean, I'm usually not the guy to go all Charlie on a music video... but that seems like a pretty uncomfortable (and not very subtle) metaphor to me.

You know, it only just now occurs to me how "problematic" the early section of the video is where the guy smashes his way into the woman's apartment and proceeds to demolish her belongings with his thrusting dick, rendering all her attempts at self defense ineffective, until at last she comes around to enthusiastically join/identify with him.

I mean, I'm usually not the guy to go all Charlie on a music video... but that seems like a pretty uncomfortable (and not very subtle) metaphor to me.
Yeah, that thought hadn't occurred to me watching the original video, but it's REALLY clear without the music.

I've never seen the original, but that video appears to have very few redeeming qualities.
I'm sure there's some sort of science experiment that could be done (does having a thumping bassline allow people to get away with higher-than-normal risqué behavior?), but who'd fund the study?

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
The original video is pretty terrible, as is the "song". This is uncomfortably hilarious.[DOUBLEPOST=1406648220,1406648022][/DOUBLEPOST]At about 2:40 the daughter is playing with her mom's boob. I guess I never got that far into the video before.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas' Texan Tile and Pork Sausage Distillery
The original video is pretty terrible, as is the "song". This is uncomfortably hilarious.
Oh, I completely agree that "Turn down for what" is creatively bankrupt hooligan gobbledygook. It just didn't actually click with me until this viewing how rapey the video was, what with the "Here's a lady, this guy breaks into her apartment and destroys her shit with his dick. She struggles to stop him, but can't stop his runaway dicksmashing until eventually she comes to love it and starts responding enthusiastically and positively."

fade

Staff member
And like I said in another thread, the only benefit to the video is seeing what Elijah Wood would look like as a woman.