That Healthcare Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JONJONAUG

CSPAN stream has a bunch of guys talking again.

I've never seriously watched CSPAN before and wow some of these guys really do just spew bullshit.

Rep. Hensarling just spewed more lies in two minutes than I've heard on the bill on Fox News all day. His entire speech was made up of Republican stand-by lines, he made Sarah Palin look intelligent.

Quoting something relevant before I complain about an auto insurance analogy.

And all I can see is that I'm paying $800/mo for inexpensive health insurance because I can't afford the comprehensive insurance at $1,200, but after this passes, I'm going to be charged $1,200 for what I already have, and if I can only afford $800 I might as well quit my job and go on the public system because it'll be better than what I can afford. And while some of that money will be going to people with legitimate health problems, most of it will really be going to people who make poor lifestyle choices.

For one thing, auto insurance costs no where near $800 a month unless you are the worst driver ever or have a shit ton of cars. You can choose to not have a car and not have to pay auto insurance. You can choose to not have a plan with all the frills if you can't afford it or don't feel you need it.
What the...? When did we change from the health care bill to talking about auto insurance? Where in my discussion have I mentioned auto insurance? I'm talking about health insurance.

If that was my auto bill then I'd be asking some pretty interesting questions about myself too...

But that is my health insurance bill, and under this program it would *have* to go up. Everyone is pretending that the health insurance costs will only go up for a small percentage of people, but the reality is that it's going to go up for everyone, though the costs are hidden by saying that it's only costing durable equipment makers, or health insurance companies, or, or, or...

Rather than a direct hit, it's an indirect hit, and it's still going to raise everyone's costs, especialy since the bill moves 500 billion in unfunded medicare costs from the medicare tax to the insurance industry, while not reducing medicare taxes every worker pays.

Again - who here has actually read the bill, rather than rely on pundits and politicians to "interpret" it for you?

And of those that have read the actual bill, who believes it is a *reasonable* way to get healthcare to the currently uninsured, and that our barely recovering economy can take another 1+ trillion hit without blinking?

J

JONJONAUG

Final count: 219 in favor, 212 against.

34 Democrats voted against, no Republicans voted in favor. 2 Republicans did not vote on the bill.

J

JONJONAUG

So... what does this mean? Are there still like 6 months of deliberation left or something?
Nope.

This passes the version passed by the Senate last December.

Next vote is to vote to pass the Reconciliation Senate bill (I think), and will happen as soon as Stupak's little clique stops ranting about abortion. Again.

My guy's up now. :(

EDIT: Shit never mind. There's still a bunch of anti-abortion dudes but Pelosi must've done SOMETHING to woe Stupak within the last couple of days.

...yeah, that doesn't really answer my question. What I mean to ask is... does this mean Healthcare Reform is now official, or does it have to pass another round of voting from, like, a joint taskforce or something?

US politics are so convoluted to me.

The bill is now (technically) eligible to be signed into law. But the Republicans have now raised a motion to basically start from scratch citing the executive order on abortion funding as a reason. If this motion is defeated, then the bill can be signed.

..at least I think I have that right.

A

Andromache

desperate attempts, and the procedural vote goes forward, I thiiink....

J

JONJONAUG

...yeah, that doesn't really answer my question. What I mean to ask is... does this mean Healthcare Reform is now official, or does it have to pass another round of voting from, like, a joint taskforce or something?

US politics are so convoluted to me.
No, it doesn't.

HR4872 is Senate amendments made since December.

If that isn't passed (it will be), then the current HR3970 bill will be the version signed into law.

A

Andromache

So, what are the betting odds on repeals focused election victories?

Motion defeated. The final vote is the amendments. Those still have to be voted on by the Senate before they become law.

Basically healthcare has passed, with some changes possibly coming.

J

JONJONAUG

Possible, but unlikely that there would be enough to pass a repeal.

Which would get vetoed anyway. While Dems could lose a good deal of seats there wouldn't be enough to give Republicans the majority needed to override a veto.

A

Andromache

Possible, but unlikely that there would be enough to pass a repeal.

Which would get vetoed anyway. While Dems could lose a good deal of seats there wouldn't be enough to give Republicans the majority needed to override a veto.[/QUOTE]

oh, I wasnt setting odds on the permanance of the repeal, just how many dems would lose their jobs based on the platform. i have a feeling 34 might be a minimum.

J

JONJONAUG

Reconciliation bill passes.

Just waiting on Senate now.

Harry Reid you better not screw this up.

This just in: Obama made an eloquent speech. Admits that there is much more to go for reforming health care, but says that the events of today are a major step in the right direction.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/ROLL_100.asp - Find out which Rep voted Yes/No (as soon as their server is done being bombarded)

Dave

Staff member
I'm going to start a religion where setting broken bones is a major anathema. This way I can boycott a LEGAL MEDICAL PROCEDURE. I know people get in a tizzy over abortion but the fact is it is a legal medical procedure and I can't see how they can prohibit this.

They're being pretty vague about what this executive order will say on abortion language. Stupak keeps saying it will maintain the current language, but there wasn't anything in the bill to change abortion language.

I get a feeling it went like this
"Bart, stop being an ass. There is nothing in the bill that expands on abortion."
"Yeah, but I've been saying it so long, if I get nothing I'll get slaughtered int he next election."
"Tell ya what, go out and make a vague statement about how I'll make an executive order that keeps abortion at the limits they are already at. Then you'll have your "win" and we'll get your vote. Win-win."
"Sweet."

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Apparently there is already 6 states that say they won't follow the healthcare bill.

EDIT: http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/17/health.care.states.challenge/
Yeah, good luck with that. We'll see how exciting this idea is when hospitals and clinics are unable to get payments from Medicare.

Status
Not open for further replies.