Texas may have banned *all* marriages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

... Oops

http://www.miamiherald.com/692/story/1340136.html

The amendment, approved by the Legislature and overwhelmingly ratified by voters, declares that \"marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.\" But the troublemaking phrase, as Radnofsky sees it, is Subsection B, which declares:

\"This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.\"

S

Soliloquy

Since they define marriage with the whole man-woman thing, and then say it's not allowed to be recognized, could this possibly be interpreted as saying that the only unions that the state is allowed to recognize are homosexual ones?

Texas Taxes don't matter anywho, we only pay property and sales tax.

I think that will get interpreted as being nothing new that would be like marriage.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*breaths
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

M

makare

I see what they are saying but it says "identical to marriage" which would mean that marriage is a separate thing being used as a comparison. It wouldn't endanger marriage as defined as man or woman only institutions that are identical or similar to it.

It is funny though.

That's basically what I told Callistarya when we talked about it. When judging these things, judges also often take the will of judiciary into account when adjudicating ambiguous wording. I don't think that marriage, as in institution, has anything to worry about unless a case comes before a real hard-ass pro-gay-marriage judge.

Even then, I imagine any ruling that actually invalidates marriage would be overturned on appeal.

M

makare

That's basically what I told Callistarya when we talked about it. When judging these things, judges also often take the will of judiciary into account when adjudicating ambiguous wording. I don't think that marriage, as in institution, has anything to worry about unless a case comes before a real hard-ass pro-gay-marriage judge.

Even then, I imagine any ruling that actually invalidates marriage would be overturned on appeal.

I figure you meant legislature not the judiciary but I didnt want to confuse other people.

I'd like to see that happen, some place that bans marriage, just to see the reactions of the world. Is that my inner science fiction fan hoping to see interesting "what if"s or my inner /b/tard hoping for Lulz?

I figure you meant legislature not the judiciary but I didnt want to confuse other people.[/QUOTE]

Whoops..yeah, that's what i meant. Usually I can get in an correct that kind of stuff before someone calls me on it :)

GasBandit

Staff member
given the subject of discussion is hard to tell if you are agreeing or not ;)
Any time Texas is mentioned, he goes off the deep end begging that they secede.

I could have sworn this came up in another thread, but I'll repeat it here: I, for one, enthusiastically endorse this interpretation of Texas marriage law, and I can't wait to bring it up with the missus.

C

Chibibar

lol. While any other time I might want to agree, but right now I'm in the middle of refinancing my home, this can cause some problem ;)

lol. While any other time I might want to agree, but right now I'm in the middle of refinancing my home, this can cause some problem ;)
So, Bar, does this legal snafu mean you're temporarily single? Are you going to take advantage of that opportunity? *laugh*

given the subject of discussion is hard to tell if you are agreeing or not ;)
Any time Texas is mentioned, he goes off the deep end begging that they secede.

I could have sworn this came up in another thread, but I'll repeat it here: I, for one, enthusiastically endorse this interpretation of Texas marriage law, and I can't wait to bring it up with the missus.[/QUOTE]

It did. I posted it in your thread. :D

C

Chibibar

So, Bar, does this legal snafu mean you're temporarily single? Are you going to take advantage of that opportunity? *laugh*[/QUOTE]

lol. Well, I always flirt with other women while my wife is around. She is pretty cool about it.

Wait... does this mean your wife is technically single now too?

(KIDDING, kidding, please don't kill me, I know you Texans have guns...)

Status
Not open for further replies.