[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

I've been using Gentoo on and off for nearly two decades. I was today years old when I learned to put -jX in the make command when compiling the kernel.

GasBandit

Staff member
My secondary monitor's backlight started flickering yesterday, getting worse rapidly. Ordered a replacement, but it won't be here until saturday. Until then, I feel like I'm having to wear an eyepatch with the second monitor off :/

Still, I've had this monitor (a 24 inch ASUS) for something like 12 years. It used to be my primary monitor when my secondary was a 22 inch, and when the 22 inch died, I got a 27 inch to be the new primary. So I guess I've gotten my money out of it.

My secondary monitor's backlight started flickering yesterday, getting worse rapidly. Ordered a replacement, but it won't be here until saturday. Until then, I feel like I'm having to wear an eyepatch with the second monitor off :/

Still, I've had this monitor (a 24 inch ASUS) for something like 12 years. It used to be my primary monitor when my secondary was a 22 inch, and when the 22 inch died, I got a 27 inch to be the new primary. So I guess I've gotten my money out of it.
If you know how to solder, you can probably repair it cheaply.

I did this with my current monitor maybe about 5 years ago, though I had to buy the capacitors online because Radio Shack (or at least my local one) doesn't have a bin of electronics any longer.

Looks like you can still get capacitors from the Shack online.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had to take down my KF2 server last night, because I finally identified it as the cause of some recent internet problems I've been having for the last week or so. It's been getting DOS'd. I had over 6000 attempts for a player to connect to the server per second.

Seems like such a niche thing to do... I can't imagine why someone would want to DOS my killing floor 2 server.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just as long as they don't start DDOSing the Loki and Black Widow and Raya and the Last Dragon server :whistling: :awesome:
Well, technically, it's the same server... but now that it isn't running KF2 any more, it shouldn't go offline any more :p

Also is this your way of telling me you want me to find Raya and the Last Dragon?

Well, technically, it's the same server... but now that it isn't running KF2 any more, it shouldn't go offline any more :p

Also is this your way of telling me you want me to find Raya and the Last Dragon?
in theory....one could get a dvd from netflix, redbox, etc. And then use MakeMKV to turn that dvd into an MKV file. And then use Handbrake to transcode that mkv file into something that is more suitable for your purpose (optional).

In theory ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
in theory....one could get a dvd from netflix, redbox, etc. And then use MakeMKV to turn that dvd into an MKV file. And then use Handbrake to transcode that mkv file into something that is more suitable for your purpose (optional).

In theory ;)
That sounds like a lot of unnecessary steps :p Somebody's already done all that FOR me, I just have to go get it. Or rather, I have to be ASKED to go get it because otherwise I'd have no idea it was even wanted.

Now whatever gave you that idea? :oops:
Wife 's a bit down right now (I should probably elaborate on that in one of the rant/whine threads) and I wanted to make her feel better with some modern Disney, but not much there :p Luca, Raya, Soul, Dory, you're not much of a modern Disney guy seemingly:eek:

GasBandit

Staff member
Now whatever gave you that idea? :oops:
Wife 's a bit down right now (I should probably elaborate on that in one of the rant/whine threads) and I wanted to make her feel better with some modern Disney, but not much there :p Luca, Raya, Soul, Dory, you're not much of a modern Disney guy seemingly:eek:
Really, apart from the MCU, I haven't been much of a modern ANYTHING guy as far as movies go, to be honest. So, my plex server might seem kind of dated now, I guess.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know what it means, we just don't have a rating for the Jackie Chan "WTFff..."

--Patrick
The only thing I can think of, and this is REALLY a stretch, is the default starting map on my server is a map that the map author pulled offline and no longer offers, because he did that for ALL his maps in protest of "the direction the devs were taking the game." But I can't fathom someone would actually go to those lengths for THAT.

And it was a shame because he was a really good map maker. But the more I deal with modder creative types, the more... eccentricities I find.

Really, apart from the MCU, I haven't been much of a modern ANYTHING guy as far as movies go, to be honest. So, my plex server might seem kind of dated now, I guess.
Ehh, it's your choices, and what's there is good :) Though I admit I was surprised in some ways - there's plenty of new stuff in the animated sections and such, just not the animated movies.
As for the MCU, I didn't think Black Widow and Loki were already on there, were they? I haven't checked lately, nor do you have to go in search of them if you don't want to watch them yourself, obviously ;-)

GasBandit

Staff member
Ehh, it's your choices, and what's there is good :) Though I admit I was surprised in some ways - there's plenty of new stuff in the animated sections and such, just not the animated movies.
As for the MCU, I didn't think Black Widow and Loki were already on there, were they? I haven't checked lately, nor do you have to go in search of them if you don't want to watch them yourself, obviously ;-)
Should be there now. They were on my seed box, had to download them to the home Plex server.

I have to install Windows three times today (8.1, 8.1, 10).
And then I have to install my Steam, Battle.net, GoG, etc stuff twice.
Good thing I have the day off.

--Patrick

Did you know there have been 143 updates released for Win8.1 since it was released?
Hang on, we're beginning the second round of checking for updates...

--Patrick

One of the five WD RE4 2TB drives in my 6TB NAS failed, or at least finally failed badly enough that it was dropped from the RAIDZ2 (it's been throwing errors for a while now). When I built it (during lockdown), I purchased 2 extra drives for just such an emergency. But when I went looking for them, I couldn't find 'em. I found lots of other drives I didn't know I (still) had, but I couldn't find the two spares. We're moving all our computer stuff around in the house right now, and I chalked it up to that. So I went ahead and bought a 4TB Ironwolf off Amazon for ~$100 and swapped that in over this past Sunday. It went pretty smoothly (once I remembered how to disassemble the drive bay), actually runs cooler than the RE4, and if I go ahead and replace the remaining four drives with 4TB over time, that will actually grow my NAS to 12TB total automatically.

Well I just found those two spares last night, one week after caving and ordering the 4TB. There's $100 I won't see again. They were exactly where I thought they would be, but one shelf lower and in a sealed box with no distinguishing markings that was not shaped in a way that made me think, "This box contains HDDs." Oh well. I wanted to see if the computer, an older (and incredibly heavy!) Dell Precision T3500, could handle drives bigger than 2TB, and it apparently can (when it's running FreeBSD, at least). Now I get to decide whether the future of my NAS needs is to go ahead with working towards building a 7x8TB monster like I originally planned, or whether expanding my "training wheels" NAS here to 12TB will be sufficient for my needs. Expanding the current one WOULD be hella cheaper, hmmm...

--Patrick

I put 4tb drives in my 4-drive NAS, thinking that I'd expand later.
I still haven't filled up half the available space. Now I'm thinking "later" may be quite a bit longer than I'd anticipated.
1628177270420.png

I, too, am only using about half of the 5.7TB or so I have available, but I have a large number of loose drives I need to finally consolidate, deduplicate, obliviate, and eliminate, and I want to have my contingency all decided upon if it happens I need to implement it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Work just bought me a really nice laptop to replace my aging work laptop.

But my thunderbolt dock can't give it enough wattage to power it. So I have to keep its own AC adapter plugged in. Like some kind of NEANDERTHAL.

Also it has this really annoying rainbow swirl RGB effect on its keyboard and all around its base. I can disable it by holding down Fn and tapping space a few times, but only on the LAPTOP keyboard (not the keyboard on my thunderbolt dock) and it only lasts until next reboot, then it goes back to being rainbow swirly again.

There is a hum coming from my PC. The sound stops when I touch the case. I tightened each screw and the sound doesn't stop.

GasBandit

Staff member
Could be there's a cable on the inside of the case vibrating against it (like the power cable to a fan or something), and touching the case moves the metal just enough to make the noise die down.

Does it matter where you touch the case for the noise to stop (only stops in certain areas)?

Things I can think of that can cause humming: spinning (non-flash) hard drive vibration and no longer being absorbed and they (absorption pads) need to be replaced, dust/junk on fan blades causing uneven spin, fan bearings starting to go.