[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Someone from work has been recommending TQG to me.
They recommended it with, "You're a nerd, you should love it because it's about chess."

--Patrick

Well, it's more about the *mostly addiction but a lot of other crap* about a real life female chess prodigy in the late 50's 60's from my neck of the woods that I never heard of.

Season 2 ep1 was great. I was excited to see Timothy Olyphant there and loved his performance. Apparently John Leguizamo was there too but he was harder to place.

That episode's plot seriously brought back memories of playing Star Wars Galaxies.

It was like two players headed out to Tatooine, met up in a cantina then joined a big Krayt Dragon raid and took the beast down. They even got a pearl for their trouble!

Love this show.

Timothy gets better looking with age. I always thought he was awkward when he was young. Like everything he did before Raylon Givins.
I think I'll always have a soft spot for Go. My best friend and watched it so many times in college. It still is my go-to association for Timothy.

I saw someone complaining that Disney airs a new episode of The Mandalorian weekly rather than drop it all at once like Netflix does with, say, Stranger Things.

Thing is, spreading it out helps encourage longer engagement and interest in the series. Instead of sites doing articles or reviews on an entire season of Stranger Things all at once, they do each episode of The Mandalorian. And further articles on speculation of future episodes in the season. People talk about the latest Stranger Things season for maybe a month and then it's forgotten about. The first season of The Mandalorian was talked about for months.

It also allows people to consume each episode at a slower pace so everyone basically enjoys the content at the same rate, unlike dropping a whole season at once, where binge watchers plow through it and spoil it for others who don't have the time to watch it all in one sitting.

From a marketing perspective, it makes sense to spread it out. Dropping it all at once might be good in the short term, but it makes each episode more special by letting people stew on them for a week.

I saw someone complaining that Disney airs a new episode of The Mandalorian weekly rather than drop it all at once like Netflix does with, say, Stranger Things.

Thing is, spreading it out helps encourage longer engagement and interest in the series. Instead of sites doing articles or reviews on an entire season of Stranger Things all at once, they do each episode of The Mandalorian. And further articles on speculation of future episodes in the season. People talk about the latest Stranger Things season for maybe a month and then it's forgotten about. The first season of The Mandalorian was talked about for months.

It also allows people to consume each episode at a slower pace so everyone basically enjoys the content at the same rate, unlike dropping a whole season at once, where binge watchers plow through it and spoil it for others who don't have the time to watch it all in one sitting.

From a marketing perspective, it makes sense to spread it out. Dropping it all at once might be good in the short term, but it makes each episode more special by letting people stew on them for a week.
I haven't started this show, but I don't hate the model. It's nice to have a new episode episode event to watch with my lovely wife.

Is anyone else a little put off by Amy Sedaris' character whenever she's in The Mandalorian?
She's like the normal person who know's she's in a Star Wars feature and likes to emphasize all the SW world words and references. I am waiting for her to say "I just drank me a gallon of Blue Milk while fixing up my trusty YT-1000 with my best spanner and my Ewok apprentice...while in the middle of Hyperspace."

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm more grouchy that a cargo of eggs was left unsecured in a spacecraft hold doing high G maneuvers, a 10 second freefall, and a crash landing, and we're to believe they survived intact.

Did we watch the same video?

Because that's clearly just a plastic bag thingy.

Also, maybe the jar was made of the same type of "glass" the cockpit's window is made out of that allowed it to resist an attack by a space spider that had no issue putting one of it's legs through the metal body of the ship earlier...

GasBandit

Staff member
It was also right side up in the same exact spot on the floor, completely unsecured, until the final crash. Didn't bounce around or anything - which would have either broken the glass, or whatever it hit if it was magical cockpit glass.

It's made of transparisteel, the same stuff they make starship windows out of. It could have probably taken a blaster shoot and been fine. Simple electro magnets on the bottom would have kept it in place too until the final crash. The real problem is that it only had a simply catch latch on the top and there was an air pocket in the container. The latch probably should have ripped off during the crash landing, spilling the contents... and if not that, the air bubble in the container should have made shaking the eggs up easy (assuming it's not some extremely viscous gel or something).