[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Just watched the second episode of Picard. The show will make hardcore Trek fans angry. Less Star Trek and more a dark sci fi mystery thriller in the Star Trek universe. Like a noir detective story, fitting for Picard. And I like that.

Just watched the second episode of Picard. The show will make hardcore Trek fans angry. Less Star Trek and more a dark sci fi mystery thriller in the Star Trek universe. Like a noir detective story, fitting for Picard. And I like that.
Wait, will it make hardcore fans angry because it's a big departure of genre? Or because it shits all over established lore/personality/etc? I mean, A noir detective story with Picard in it, I'm all for it. Yet another "let's destroy lore and continuity for cheap AWSUM MOMENTS series in a universe I like, maybe not so much.

Finished up Daredevil Season 3 in catching up on the Marvel shows. GodDAMN that was great. Up until now, Jessica Jones S1 was my favourite season out of all the shows, but this one has it beat. They took one of the best Daredevil stores - Born Again - and rejiggered it to work with the show's format and it works to a tee. Matt's constant inner battles of faith and morality, Bullseye's slow turn to being a complete psychotic, and of course motherfucking Kingpin stealing the show again. I hope the actor and character can show up elsewhere in the MCU because they're great.

Now I've started season 2 of The Punisher. I'm VERY disappointed by the makeup for Jigsaw. The scars should much, much, MUCH more severe. Not just a couple of glorified cat scratches.

Wait, will it make hardcore fans angry because it's a big departure of genre? Or because it shits all over established lore/personality/etc? I mean, A noir detective story with Picard in it, I'm all for it. Yet another "let's destroy lore and continuity for cheap AWSUM MOMENTS series in a universe I like, maybe not so much.
I would've just liked your post, but I can't.

That entire interaction with the big CNC was hard to parse as someone who loves Star Trek.

figmentPez

Staff member
Does she give a reason why they don't study AI? Because "we don't study cybernetics" could be interpreted as not studying the subject with the intent to create it. Wanting to study Data because they fear AI and want to be able to counter it is a different thing than studying the subject with the intent to further it.

Also: Secret, unethtical, military experiments are different than mainstream scientific research.

So I'm at the last episode of Punisher S2. Unlike Daredevil, I'm glad I'll be done with it. It's been a plodding, uninteresting season, with characters I don't care about. Some sparks here and there, but they're few and far between. Bernthal is great as always, though.

But man, I think about Iron Fist S2 and how it was 10 rather than 13 episodes, which worked in its favor. That same trimming of time would've done a world of good here, too.

After this, it's on to Jessica Jones S3. Looking forward to that, since it's my second favourite overall show, just below Daredevil. And that'll finish off my Netflix Marvel show watching.

Last edited:
So I'm at the last episode of Punisher S2. Unlike Daredevil, I'm glad I'll be done with it. It's been a plodding, uninteresting season, with characters I don't care about. Some sparks here and there, but they're few and far between. Bernthal is great as always, though.

But man, I think about Iron Fist S2 and how it was 10 rather than 13 episodes, which worked in its favor. That same trimming of time would've done a world of good here, too.

After this, it's on to Jessica Jones S3. Looking forward to that, since it's my second favourite overall show, just below Daredevil. And that'll finish off my Netflix Marvel show watching.
Locke and Key tomorrow, baby. *not marvel but still*

Currently watching Star Trek Discovery, somewhere half way through season one.
It's...not bad? I'm a bit mixed, to be sure, but I like it much more than Enterprise, at least.
Some of the character decisions are...pretty stupid, really. And some of the science is headscratchingly bad.
So far it's closer to Voyager, quality-wise, than Enterprise, and I'm aware I'm only half a season in. It's unfair to compare to whole 7-season runs. It gets the benefit of the doubt so far.

Discovery is entertaining, and the performances are worth watching.
I just wouldn’t go into it expecting it to play like the other shows. ‘Cuz it doesn’t.

—Patrick

I was a defender of season one of Discovery. Season two on the other hand....

Well, hope you like it more than me.

I'm three episodes into Jessica Jones S3 and so far, it's just not doing it for me. Then again, I felt similar about the beginning of S2, and that got better along the way. But so far, the overall mystery is pretty pedestrian.

I'm three episodes into Jessica Jones S3 and so far, it's just not doing it for me. Then again, I felt similar about the beginning of S2, and that got better along the way. But so far, the overall mystery is pretty pedestrian.
I don't want to spoil anything, but it's mainly because it's not really the focus of the season.

fade

Staff member
I enjoyed The Good Place. I'm glad they ended it voluntarily, and were able to wrap up the story nicely. The first season "twist" was obvious from the moment you met Tahani and realized how irritatingly boastful she was. I predicted a similar twist at the end, but I was wrong about that one. I thought
Michael would be revealed as God, and the whole thing was his plan to reform the Soul Squad all along.
The best part, though, is that Schur managed to trick millions into liking a show about moral philosophy. Probably someone owes him $10 now.

About 4 episodes in, and so far the only thing I like about The Mandalorian is The Child. The plot is pretty obvious, and full of holes, which I guess I should expect from the current era of Star Wars. I think I would have given it a pass by now if I didn't squee every time I saw baby Yoda.

About 4 episodes in, and so far the only thing I like about The Mandalorian is The Child. The plot is pretty obvious, and full of holes, which I guess I should expect from the current era of Star Wars. I think I would have given it a pass by now if I didn't squee every time I saw baby Yoda.
Yeah, it's not some bold, new take on the franchise... it's very clearly a homage to it's genre inspirations and a nod to a lot Star Wars details you wouldn't be aware of if you hadn't been watching Clone Wars and Rebels. It does it well though and with genuine affection, which helps sell it.