[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Watching the new Nancy Drew. I have gotten past my stodgy harumph at the modernizing adulting and am now enjoying the mystery.

I have been watching A LOT of Halloween Baking Championship, Halloween Wars, and Haunted Gingerbread Showdown.

October is the one time of the year I will watch the Food Network.

Spooky desserts are clearly the best desserts.

Was grinding a bit of Magic Arena and watching Star Trek the Next Generation and it's fucking jarring how much better even the shitty Next Gen seasons are compared to Discovery.

I finished The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which was beautiful and worth the wait from the original movie (which I enjoyed quite a bit when I was young). Amazing cast, beautiful visuals, and an enjoyable story.

But one thing that kept bugging me, and I honestly didn't notice this as a kid, is how closely The Dark Crystals resemble the plot of Elfquest. The elves Gelflings split into different tribes, but able to Send dreamfast with each other, deeply connected to Abode the world of Two Moons Thra the world of Three Suns. The supposedly immortal High Ones Skeksis crashing from space, and controlling all the tribes with the magic Egg Crystal. Cutter Rian, and later, Jen, a male elf Gelfling from the woods tribe must unite the tribes and heal the Egg Crystal. Mother Savah Augra using her essence to guide the elves Gelflings. Even the visuals have a very similar look.

There's more little details that feel very similar, but it's not enough to say it's a straight-up copy. But with the new expanded episodes, it becomes really noticeable.

And both started about the same time (1981).
Now the question is: Did they influence each other, or did they both derive from some common source/trope?

--Patrick

And both started about the same time (1981).
Now the question is: Did they influence each other, or did they both derive from some common source/trope?

--Patrick
Well, close, but Elfquest started in '78 and the original Dark Crystal came out in '82.

Well, close, but Elfquest started in '78 and the original Dark Crystal came out in '82.
I admit that I thought EQ started in 1981 (and not 1978), but I was also assuming DC went through preproduction, filming, etc. in 1981. Wikipedia claims Henson was inspired by illustrations from a 1975 book, so what I'm taking from this is that the mid-70's must've been an exceptionally creative time.

--Patrick

Don't let anyone trick you into thinking that that new Watchmen show is good.

Laurie being broken and hung up on Dr. Manhattan 34 years later and needing a HUGE blue dildo is about the fucking stupidest God damn thing I've ever seen. Fuck this stupid show. HER GOD DAMN CHARACTER ARC IN WATCHMEN WAS FIGURING OUT HOW EMPTY HER RELATIONSHIP WITH MANHATTAN WAS YOU STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLES. Fuck you Damon Lindleof.

Christ, Zack Snyder got Moore's work more than Lindleof did and he fucking butchered so much of the Watchmen movie.

Damon Lindleof is part of the hack trio that only exist because of the hack king JJ Abrams likes them.

Last edited:
South Park

Here's hoping next season they burn that fucking pot farm to the GROUND, as I am fucking SICK of Randy plots. And I get it, they were trolling us, but much like when being trolled by someone online I didn't really enjoy this either. Guess we're in that "Post-funny age of satire" they alluded to 3 seasons ago.

Just got in on Disney+, so I'm doing what I'm pretty sure everyone is doing with Disney+

Untitled.png

That's right, I'm skipping the first episode of the 70's Spiderwoman cartoon because the second episode has Dormammu in it.

Last edited:
Watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian.

Here's my big take away. Dude needs to learn to park his ship better. Most of the series conflict so far comes from his poor parking decisions.

Dave

Staff member
I got into an argument with a guy this week. Star Wars writers are lazy as fuck. Why are Jawas on this planet? Aren't they native to Tatooine? Or if not, why are they ON Tatooine?

Reason? Because the writers are lazy. Hey, people know these things! Let's use them in this scene because who gives a shit? And yes, I know that humans are everywhere as well, but that's mostly because of casting.

Don't even get me started on
that is not a baby Yoda. Yoda is not a race. Yoda is a person. And you'd think a race that this innately force sensitive would be very, VERY powerful. And you'd think we'd know of more than just the one. Again, lazy writing.

I got into an argument with a guy this week. Star Wars writers are lazy as fuck. Why are Jawas on this planet? Aren't they native to Tatooine? Or if not, why are they ON Tatooine?

Reason? Because the writers are lazy. Hey, people know these things! Let's use them in this scene because who gives a shit? And yes, I know that humans are everywhere as well, but that's mostly because of casting.

that is not a baby Yoda. Yoda is not a race. Yoda is a person. And you'd think a race that this innately force sensitive would be very, VERY powerful. And you'd think we'd know of more than just the one. Again, lazy writing.
Lucas banned the old EU writers from revealing anything about Yoda's species their name, their planet of origin, even whether Yoda lived so long because that's how long his species lived or because of his strength in the force. And Disney is just cringing from the EU for anything outside the movies so they've got nothing to go on regarding his species.

Weren't they a Rakatan slave species? Or was that the Sand People?
The Jawas are the original inhabitants of Tatooine, reduce to this state after the Rakata turned Tatooine to glass through bombardment (which eventually turned it into a desert world). Also, Jawas routinely leave the planet. For example, Blizz is a Jawa that leads a Jawa salvage crew on Hoth in The Old Republic. They just usually don't own starships themselves and tend to barter for passage once a salvage spot goes dry.

Even if they were all force sensitive, based on what I've seen of onscreen of trained Jedi, yes, I am. Earth predators would have run roughshod on them.

Yoda's homeworld must be bereft of predators if they're still infants at 50 fucking years.
I mean, we know nothing about the....Yodeling?...planet, so it could be. It could, theoretically, be a planet of herbivores with low population and long life spans.

Compared to some animals that can run right after they're born, we take a very long time to mature too... but we seem to be doing fine.

And they take upwards of 25-50 times longer. That's what I mean. There's no haste to their existence, which I gather means there's not much threat to them. They're the apex predator.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yoda was 900-ish when he died of old age.... So, if we just divide everything by 10 to put it in human context, wouldn't that mean the Yodeling (I love that term Keltsy) should be approximately 5ish years old, development wise?

Yoda was 900-ish when he died of old age.... So, if we just divide everything by 10 to put it in human context, wouldn't that mean the Yodeling (I love that term Keltsy) should be approximately 5ish years old, development wise?
Apparently at 50 they're still unspeaking toddlers.

Behind the scenes, Lucas was very adamant that no information was ever to be developed on Yoda's species or homeworld, wanting it to always remain a mystery. Canonically, Yoda's species is incredibly rare among the Galaxy and the only handful that have ever been seen have all been high ranking and powerful Jedi. Yoda himself only ever kept I've secret, and that was any information about his homeworld or species, something that all of his predecessors did as well, stating that they were a peaceful people that did not want to be brought into the politics of the republic or council.

This is also why they've never even divulged what they're called, so that even that cannot be placed in galactic record.

And they take upwards of 25-50 times longer. That's what I mean. There's no haste to their existence, which I gather means there's not much threat to them. They're the apex predator.
We got preyed on by plenty of things, we where just good enough at avoiding them that it didn't stop us.

The adults being good enough at protecting the yodelings so enough make it would be enough, so there's no reason to assume a lack of predators.