[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

The Flash...UGH!

I'm gonna be...SO pissed off if Cisco gets rid of his Vibe powers. Its bad enough the show barely uses him, or even uses his powers in new and creative ways due to budget restraints.
The show has a bad habit of wanting certain characters or plot points and then not being sure what to do with them when they actually get to use them.

That being said, this feels more like a rejection of the call trope than anything that will end up in a permanent change.

Is Once Upon a Time dumb? I'm only 4 minutes in and it seems kinda dumb, especially with that pointless narrating in the first episode that revealed plot info I could've easily gotten through con-text throughout the story. I'm willing to accept the first ep just suffers from "Pilot's disease", but when the main lady's date says "Everybody has family" after she says she didn't have any made me want to scream-"MAYBE SHE WAS RAISED IN FOSTER CARE YOU MOOK!" Just saying, I can believe in the Evil Queen trapping all of fairy tale land in monotonous time loop, but a line THAT stupid makes no sense to me.
I know there are a few smart bits, especially in the first season, but on a whole I don't remember it as being notably clever.

The show has a bad habit of wanting certain characters or plot points and then not being sure what to do with them when they actually get to use them.

That being said, this feels more like a rejection of the call trope than anything that will end up in a permanent change.
Definitely agree on the first point, ESPECIALLY with their use of several of the Flash's rogues(STILL mad about Roy G.Bivolo's treatment) and HOPE for the second point...although kind of wish they didn't even bother with a "Reject the call" story this late in the series entirely-BUT-whatcha gon' do?
I know there are a few smart bits, especially in the first season, but on a whole I don't remember it as being notably clever.
Hm, good to know, thank you.

Finished the first ep, and while it is CLEARLY Fables-lite, I'm intrigued.
Post automatically merged:

Emma:-I mean, its crazy!

Henry who just HAPPENS to be in the background: You think I'm crazy?

Oh fuck you, fuck you in the FACE TV show!

Last edited:
So, watched the first episode of season two of Discovery. Anson Mount was great as Pike and the episode was a great Star Trek episode overall, but man, I am absolutely dreading the overarching nonsense bullshit story. Spock having dreams of an apocalyptic super threat, a lamely named apocalyptic super threat, etc. It's the most Alex Kurtzmanny bullshit and it was exactly what I was dreading about him being completely in charge of the show.

watched the second episode of Discovery s2. Another typical Trek episode. In fact I saw similar stuff in TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. Also the crew is on a mission from god?

watched the second episode of Discovery s2. Another typical Trek episode. In fact I saw similar stuff in TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. Also the crew is on a mission from god?
This is actually only the... second, maybe third typical Star Trek episode in the run? I feel like they wanted to get closer to 90's Trek this season.

This is actually only the... second, maybe third typical Star Trek episode in the run? I feel like they wanted to get closer to 90's Trek this season.
Fittingly it's directed by Jonathan Frakes.

I liked the little nods to the Trek lore in the first episode. The bell thing in Spocks quarter for exsample. Or the fortune cookie text, "Not every cage is a prison".

GasBandit

Staff member
I heard through the grapevine that Alara's not on Orville anymore. Just as well I dropped that show, she was one of the, like, two enjoyable things about it.

I heard through the grapevine that Alara's not on Orville anymore. Just as well I dropped that show, she was one of the, like, two enjoyable things about it.
Was Norm MacDonald the second thing? He was the most enjoyable thing about that show for me.

Meanwhile, he played a hole on another show and while he was just as funny in his Norm MacDonald way, he was not the best thing about that show. But of course, the Orville is the one that gets a second season.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Was Norm MacDonald the second thing? He was the most enjoyable thing about that show for me.

Meanwhile, he played a hole on another show and while he was just as funny in his Norm MacDonald way, he was not the best thing about that show. But of course, the Orville is the one that gets a second season.
Bortus.

Still on Once Upon A time as my Obsessive compulsive disorder makes me want to finish the first season of this slightly enjoyable show AND...the queen...raped the Huntsman right? Because it LOOKED like she was gonna rape him after she took his heart, and it makes me really uncomfortable.

fade

Staff member
I'm still enjoying Orville. The second season has matured a lot. I've actually read they did reshoots and rewrites when they realized they had some good stories. Less MacFarlane goofiness, even in the episodes he writes. The episode "Nothing Left on Earth Except the Fishes" was quite good.

Dave

Staff member
1) I think that looks funny enough to check out.
2) Waititi & Jermaine Clement are both involved.
3) Douglas Reynholm!!!! (Matt Berry)

I'll check it out although the wife is not looking forward to it.

fade

Staff member
I caught up on season 2 of The Orville. If you thought this show had rough edges, but could see the potential in season one, I definitely urge you to check out season two. In true trek fashion, this show grew the beardiest of beards. Seriously, the writing has vastly improved, and I didn't think it was all that bad to begin with. It has transitioned fully from a Trek parody to its own show. Reminds me a little of Venture Bros in that respect.

fade

Staff member
Actually, one of the biggest problems with this transition is that Scott Grimes's character feels out of place. We know he can do drama having been on the cast of one of the most dramatic network shows of all time (ER). Maybe they let his character grow.

Actually, one of the biggest problems with this transition is that Scott Grimes's character feels out of place. We know he can do drama having been on the cast of one of the most dramatic network shows of all time (ER). Maybe they let his character grow.
AND Band of Brothers. I only know him from BoB. I stopped watching ER the season or so after Clooney left.

We also got HBO attached to our Hulu so we recently rematched most of Game of Thrones. Still mostly good. It's fun seeing some of the older episodes in a new light of what I know now.

We also saw Barry. Bill Hader plays a Hitman who ends up taking a job in LA and after tailing his target for a bit accidentally ends up reading lines with him in an acting class and falling in love with acting. Henry Winkler plays the acting class teacher. It's pretty good.

Also getting into High Maintenance. Some of the stories are real hit or miss with me but overall I really enjoy it. I was really touched by the season one finale with the guy who was taking care of his mom before she passed and then has to learn to move on from that.

Watched the first two episodes of The Umbrella Academy. I like it so far. It's interesting, but I feel like there is some depth to these characters that is getting glazed over. I am not familiar with the source material though.

Watched the first two episodes of The Umbrella Academy. I like it so far. It's interesting, but I feel like there is some depth to these characters that is getting glazed over. I am not familiar with the source material though.
The kid playing Number Five (a relatively unknown actor) is incredible. I'm at episode 6. The first two episode have some pacing problems but episode 3 and onward get better about that.

We tried to watch Kim Jeong's special on Netflix. It was terrible. We quit 10 min in. Should have stopped it after the Ho bit. He's not a standup.

I'm half way through and loving it. I'm a big fan of the first two comic runs, and they've veered just the right amount from it. They tapped into the good weirdness and fantastical elements, and added a bit of depth to it.

And yes, number five is amazing. I was telling my daughter that one of my favorite parts of the comic is number five's dead eyes when he's not into something, and this kid has that look nailed.
Post automatically merged:

Also, between this and Haunting of Hill House, apparently my jam is genre shows about families growing up in bizarre circumstances and their issues.

fade

Staff member
Why didn't somebody tell me Legion was awesome? I expected something cheesy, not something filmic and interesting.