[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Please for your own sanity, switch to another show.

Seaquest, Space Precinct, Space Rangers, Psi Factor, the first Flash show, maybe Sliders.

Sliders is a show which I would mind seeing a reboot of.
I really loved the first few seasons but I feel like it had a lot of potential which it didn't reach.

Dave

Staff member
Sliders is a show which I would mind seeing a reboot of.
I really loved the first few seasons but I feel like it had a lot of potential which it didn't reach.
It went off the rails when it turned from a fun little romp into something SUPER SERIOUS and had the evil sliders.

I'm tapping out on Andromeda. I tried to watch an episode while cooking dinner tonight and couldn't do it. I would rather make meatloaf in relative silence.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well a timeline’s not gonna just mess up on its own, right?
Picture this: Instead of having mustache-twirling, evil-for-the-sake-of-evil villains, they could have been leapers from a corporation, trying to change history for the financial benefit of their employers. It would open up the chance for actual motivation for the rival characters. More than that, you'd get the chance to set up Sam with some actual temptation. How are these corporate leapers able to alter the timeline as they choose, when Sam has to make things better? They've got more advanced tech, from further int he future than Sam. More than that, they could claim Sam is just being used as a pawn to reach further back into the past by some other corporate interest. Call into question if Sam has really been doing good, and dangle the possibility of getting to go home immediately if he just helps out the mercenary leapers.

That would have been so much more interesting than what actually happened.

I'm tapping out on Andromeda. I tried to watch an episode while cooking dinner tonight and couldn't do it. I would rather make meatloaf in relative silence.
That's fair. I haven't watched it since the first-run episodes, what, 18, 17 years ago? I think I want to keep it that way now.

It's only fun if there are redeeming factors. Go watch and comment on something that might be worth it.
How about the old and new Battlestar Galacticas? Compare and contrast, and slowly see the new one sink into a swamp of their own making.

That would have been so much more interesting than what actually happened.
But then you'd have leaping tech as something that could be reproduced, instead of an accident that might have been divinely ordained, and then they'd have to change the last episode.

figmentPez

Staff member
But then you'd have leaping tech as something that could be reproduced, instead of an accident that might have been divinely ordained, and then they'd have to change the last episode.
Sam's leap could still be divinely ordained. A bunch of guys with lanterns doesn't somehow mean that the story behind Hanukkah didn't happen (an oil lamp with enough oil for one day staying lit for eight days).

The QL project has a computer, Ziggy, that can somehow analyze time. There is some sort of fictional science involved in all of this. They were at least trying to travel through time. From my memory, and the QL Wiki corroborates, there are multiple evil leapers. It's implied that they're working for the devil, but they're never given any motivation beyond evil. It's Saturday morning cartoon levels of villainy. If you're going to have characters who are working for the devil, at least give them motivations beyond "I like to do evil, because evil is good!"

If you're going to have characters who are working for the devil, at least give them motivations beyond "I like to do evil, because evil is good!"
Yes.
The best “evil” characters are the ones who do what they do for perfectly logical, understandable, relatable reasons. Those reasons just happen to be...well, wrong.

—Patrick

Yes.
The best “evil” characters are the ones who do what they do for perfectly logical, understandable, relatable reasons. Those reasons just happen to be...well, wrong.

—Patrick
Not even their reasons sometimes, it could just be their methods. They could be absolutely right that taking down that oppressive regime is a move that is both necessary and just. It just stops being so when you do it by leading an army of the undead into town and kill anyone who gets in your way... or in this case, killing someone to alter history.

Been watching "Lucifer" lately. Neat police procedural with a twist, the "not a cop" buddy this time around is the Devil Himself, on vacation in LA. Yeah, anyway. Don't judge me.
Anyway, they've been showing it here, but for *some* reason, my DVR decided "Lucifer: Season 3" wasn't the same show as "Lucifer". So I'm now missing episodes 2-6 (I've found 1 on line). And sadly, they aren't re-broadcasting them in the weekend or at night as TV channels here are wont to do.
Now, obviously, I'm not asking anyone to do or suggest anything illegal, because that would be bad and wrong and might hurt Dave, and I'm all against it. To be clear. But if anyone would happen to know of a perfectly legal and good and free way to catch up on those few missing episodes, suggestions are always welcome. My Google-fu is just oddly weak when looking for legal and good and correct ways of finding on line episodes of TV shows.

Been watching "Lucifer" lately. Neat police procedural with a twist, the "not a cop" buddy this time around is the Devil Himself, on vacation in LA. Yeah, anyway. Don't judge me.
Anyway, they've been showing it here, but for *some* reason, my DVR decided "Lucifer: Season 3" wasn't the same show as "Lucifer". So I'm now missing episodes 2-6 (I've found 1 on line). And sadly, they aren't re-broadcasting them in the weekend or at night as TV channels here are wont to do.
Now, obviously, I'm not asking anyone to do or suggest anything illegal, because that would be bad and wrong and might hurt Dave, and I'm all against it. To be clear. But if anyone would happen to know of a perfectly legal and good and free way to catch up on those few missing episodes, suggestions are always welcome. My Google-fu is just oddly weak when looking for legal and good and correct ways of finding on line episodes of TV shows.
Not sure if this helps, but Netflix has picked up the series for season 4. The earlier seasons are already on Netflix in the US.

Not sure if this helps, but Netflix has picked up the series for season 4. The earlier seasons are already on Netflix in the US.
No access to Netflix, and I know they're not on Belgian Netflix anyway ;-) I'm fairly sure the perfectly legal way of seeing these episodes I'm looking for will come from @GasBandit . I know he's great at finding such things.

No rush at all, like I've said I've found the first one and we haven't watched that one yet and plenty of other stuff on the DVR too :p

Sam's leap could still be divinely ordained. A bunch of guys with lanterns doesn't somehow mean that the story behind Hanukkah didn't happen (an oil lamp with enough oil for one day staying lit for eight days).
I don't think that analogy works, since, you know, normal lanterns would be more like time passing normally, and not time travelling.

The QL project has a computer, Ziggy, that can somehow analyze time. There is some sort of fictional science involved in all of this. They were at least trying to travel through time. From my memory, and the QL Wiki corroborates, there are multiple evil leapers. It's implied that they're working for the devil, but they're never given any motivation beyond evil. It's Saturday morning cartoon levels of villainy. If you're going to have characters who are working for the devil, at least give them motivations beyond "I like to do evil, because evil is good!"
Yeah, but Ziggy is clearly more then he seems.

Also, didn't the original "evil" leaper get turned by Sam?

Yes.

—Patrick
Problem is, everyone and their grandmother now tries to have their villains be like that, and, frankly, it's gotten boring.

Problem is, everyone and their grandmother now tries to have their villains be like that, and, frankly, it's gotten boring.
Most of what I see is still the same ol’ selfish/greedy/subjugation/“I want all the <whatever> for myself!” stereotypical stuff, or else the “mindless consuming threat” (dinosaurs that for some reason never stop being hungry, the Borg, Kaiju, “aliens”), though I freely admit I haven’t seen much lately, of course.

—Patrick

Most of what I see is still the same ol’ selfish/greedy/subjugation/“I want all the <whatever> for myself!” stereotypical stuff, or else the “mindless consuming threat” (dinosaurs that for some reason never stop being hungry, the Borg, Kaiju, “aliens”), though I freely admit I haven’t seen much lately, of course.

—Patrick
Ah, but most of those count under the "we didn't bother with why they're doing what they're doing" category, which is more prevalent in films, because the run time doesn't allow delving into both the heroes and villains backstory.

Anyhow, this discussion reminded me about how well the OotS comic does both sympathetic and born ass-holes villains... Xykon and Redcloak being the most prominent.