[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

The Flash

Okay once Olly gets out of the klink, he's gotta put Barry,Cisco, and Ralph through a martial arts boot camp or something because they get owned REAL quick without their superpowers.

The Flash

Okay once Olly gets out of the klink, he's gotta put Barry,Cisco, and Ralph through a martial arts boot camp or something because they get owned REAL quick without their superpowers.
They're really bad at showing it, but it kind of seems Cicada has some extra oomph from the dagger, and that's why he's so good at kicking their asses.

Just finished Daredevil season 3 and holy shit was that good. That was the best Netflix Marvel season so far, hands down. The pacing didn't feel off, for once. The fights were every bit as brutal as Daredevil season 1 and Punisher season 1, Vincent D'onofrio deserves every acting award this year for this performance and yet I fear he won't be recognized for it.

It's still got me feeling weird about the future of the Defenders franchise as a whole, but damn that was some good ass television.

Well..... they're canceled on Netflix, because Disney/Marvel is preparing its own streaming service that will exclusively offer their shows. So Iron Fist and Luke Cage, etc, will almost certainly be back on the new service.
Who cancelled them though? Was it Disney/Marvel, or Netflix?

Cause my understanding was Netflix cancelled them, and that Netflix still owns the TV rights to those characters.

Finished the Haunting of Hill House. I felt a little let down by the finale, I gotta say, but the rest of the show was so damn good.

I saw a couple big reveals in the finale coming, but that might be A) because I was already on a second watch of the show and picking up on stuff in earlier episodes I missed the first time around and B) because I really enjoyed Oculus, and Flanagan has done some very similar things here with this. I didn't notice it, but I'm told the mirror from Oculus is even *in* the house.

I would love a second season but don't see how that'll happen.
Second season has been greenlit but allegedly won't involve the same characters. I'm not sure how they're going to manage that after the finale though.

For the most part, I love the show. Lots of great acting, focus on drama over scares, surprising twists. I especially appreciate that, with so many differences from the book, they kept what was most necessary--unlike in the 90s movie, there's no Final Boss Ghost. Hill House is bad because it is a bad place. Living or dead, it hates people. The show stayed true to this.

Until the end where it becomes an optional afterlife hangout. Instead of each ghost walking alone in their own parallel existence, which is backed up by the mechanics of the red room, they can now be families whole again forever. Really stripped Hill House of its menace.

My only other complaint is that taking Eleanor from the book and breaking up her thoughts and perceptions across the show's different characters kind of took me out of it, but I just read the book a couple months ago so that might be my fault.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Part 1

I was with them for the first episode... even though the aunt characters are incredibly annoying. And, while I did watch the 90s Sabrina the Teenage Witch, I rewatched it last week and it did not hold up. The nostalgia goggles were well and truly busted, so I could go into tonight's viewing untainted by memory lane. Now, keep in mind, I'm not a comic person - My entire knowledge of the Archie universe is what I gleaned from supermarket checkout stands throughout the years - so I have absolutely no clue what's true to the comics and what isn't. But I had to stop less than two full episodes in.

Seriously, in the second episode the High Priest of the Church of Night, who Sabrina's aunts have explained as being the Dark Lord's personal representative on Earth, mispronounces Samhain. First, as far as I can tell - and I did some research into the subject - Satanists don't celebrate Samhaim. They celebrate Halloween. Not one single bit of their texts that I found referenced that night as Samhain. Wiccans celebrate Samhain. The Dark Lord is certainly not the head of the Wiccan church. But even if all of that weren't true - the head of the Church of Night mispronouncing Samhain is akin to the pope mispronouncing Easter! Come the fuck on! How can you have one episode that's all about inclusivity and making people feel comfortable in their school, and then fuck up the pronunciation of a major holiday in the next?! It's insulting as hell.

So no, they had their chance and they blew it.

I was with them for the first episode... even though the aunt characters are incredibly annoying. And, while I did watch the 90s Sabrina the Teenage Witch, I rewatched it last week and it did not hold up. The nostalgia goggles were well and truly busted, so I could go into tonight's viewing untainted by memory lane. Now, keep in mind, I'm not a comic person - My entire knowledge of the Archie universe is what I gleaned from supermarket checkout stands throughout the years - so I have absolutely no clue what's true to the comics and what isn't. But I had to stop less than two full episodes in.

Seriously, in the second episode the High Priest of the Church of Night, who Sabrina's aunts have explained as being the Dark Lord's personal representative on Earth, mispronounces Samhain. First, as far as I can tell - and I did some research into the subject - Satanists don't celebrate Samhaim. They celebrate Halloween. Not one single bit of their texts that I found referenced that night as Samhain. Wiccans celebrate Samhain. The Dark Lord is certainly not the head of the Wiccan church. But even if all of that weren't true - the head of the Church of Night mispronouncing Samhain is akin to the pope mispronouncing Easter! Come the fuck on! How can you have one episode that's all about inclusivity and making people feel comfortable in their school, and then fuck up the pronunciation of a major holiday in the next?! It's insulting as hell.

Not sure you needed to add a spoiler tag to that if I'm real.

I really don't think realistic portrayal of Wicca, Satanism, or any of the various groups that use that label is what they are going for. Which is probably why they gave it the fictional name church of night.

So I was up until 4am to finish the dress for my daughter's costume because even though we bought everything weeks ago I couldn't find the motivation to work on it until now, so of course I binged Daredevil. I have a few irritations, such as
the complete incompetence of Karen's ability to lay low
but I am also amused that the Marvel Universe apparently has yet another word for adamantium for the TV universe?

Also, from what I've seen, Sabrina isn't based on Wicca, but rather 19th century understanding of witches, aka women who make a pact with the devil.

Only problem I had with Jane Carr as the Fairy Godmother on Legends last night is that they couldn't find a way to put in a "Mama Cosma" joke in there, OTHERWISE glorious.

Reactions: Dei
Well, now Netflix is being sued by the Church of Satan for ripping off the design of the Baphomet statue, so... is it religious misappropriation/lack of cultural sensitivity yet?

Well, now Netflix is being sued by the Church of Satan for ripping off the design of the Baphomet statue, so... is it religious misappropriation/lack of cultural sensitivity yet?
They're claiming copyright violation since you can (and TST did) copyright their statue. And Sabrina's statue *does* look a hell of a lot like theirs.

Furthermore, TST is complaining that their copyrighted property was being used in an unflattering context, one which is counter to TST's values.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
They probably just had no idea the statue was trademarked. I mean, why would you think that? So they'll get some cash for it as they should.

GasBandit

Staff member
While similar, those two statues are different, though... the muscle mass is different, the curve of the wings and arrangement of the feathers, the stomach insignia... If those two things were songs, that'd be enough for a copyright judge to say "nope, different, next case" *bangs gavel*

While similar, those two statues are different, though... the muscle mass is different, the curve of the wings and arrangement of the feathers, the stomach insignia... If those two things were songs, that'd be enough for a copyright judge to say "nope, different, next case" *bangs gavel*
OTOH the pose is identical, they both have 2 kids a boy & a girl standing in the same position whose clothing / hairstyles are at least very very similar. It's not *identical* no, but it's certainly as close as, for instance, some Samsung handsets are to iPhones. And Apple have won those cases.

Although as @Dave implies they probably just did a Google image search for "Baphomet statue" and all that came up on the first few results was TST's one so that's what they copied for theirs.

GasBandit

Staff member
but it's certainly as close as, for instance, some Samsung handsets are to iPhones. And Apple have won those cases.
Those were the ones where Apple basically claimed to have a trademark on all devices with curved corners, right? That was some BS right there.

They might be able to squeak by with the Parody Law, since, having watched all of Sabrina, I can honestly say everything was over-the-top enough to not be taken remotely seriously*.

(*Well, one would hope, until the internet proves me wrong.)

Those were the ones where Apple basically claimed to have a trademark on all devices with curved corners, right? That was some BS right there.
Device and interface design elements, I think. Plenty more here, if you're having trouble sleeping and want to see lots of words and charts.

--Patrick

Legends of Tomorrow

Soooooooooooo am I just going to assume that Maisie Richardson-Sellers is gonna be the Tom Cavanaugh of "Legends of Tomorrow" and play an alternate version of herself each season, or what?

Tell that to Robin Thicke. He lost just because his song sounded like a party.

Shit, John Fogerty lost a lawsuit against himself, technically, over "Bad Moon On the Rise" and "Lookin' Out My Back Door".

Back to TV:

Master of Arms

Discovery Channel's knock-off of History's Forged in Fire is basically like a dollar store action figure compared to a brand name one. I mean, it's similar, but the drop in quality is notable.

The tests were kind of a joke, their weapon tester is described as "a legendary Special Forces Sniper"... in order to test flintlocks at basically spitting range, then engage in melee. He doesn't really demonstrate any particular level of skill.

Their "smithing judge" looks like that your generic Steampunk Guy at every single convention, their firearms advisor is trying really hard to be a blonde Kari Byron-impersonated-by-Kate-McKinnon, and their host is... well, he's tall and has a good beard, I guess.

It's kind of boring, and they either edited out one of the contestants making a whole new blade during the second half of the show, or covered up giving him a new one, because there's no fucking way the blade he made in the first round was the one on his weapon at the end.

It's fucking lame.

fade

Staff member
Still enjoying The Good Place, even if it still is predictable as hell (though I didn't see the Donkey Doug reveal coming). One thing I do like is the portrayal of Eleanor's sexuality. They've made it clear she's attracted to both men and women, but it never plays a central role in the story. It just is. I think that's pretty awesome. There's not some awkward attempt to bring it to the forefront. It just blends in to the rest of the show, as just part of her life, and I like that.

Still enjoying The Good Place, even if it still is predictable as The Bad Place
FTFY.

Speaking of predictable TV. I've had to watch the last few episodes of Bull. It's a terrible Court show and an even terribler whodunit. The moment the real murderer appears on screen I'm saying "That's who really dunit." Not out loud, of course. That'd kill the mood and the reason I'm even putting up with this crap.

Season finale of It's Always Sunny was killer.

Going from hilariously grotesque to an incredibly beautiful sequence and ending it on an actual sincere emotional note is pretty good work from those folks.

I appreciate the fact that Supergirl is tying in their plot this season to a lot of the political climate going on in the US right now. Granted, it's the CW and it can be pretty ham-fisted at times. But I remember when comics would use their platform to speak out about social issues and it's nice to see this corner of DC trying to both illustrate and entertain. It also makes it hard for me to watch sometimes because it's an all-too-real reminder of what's going on in the world right now when I could probably use a little escapism.