[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Cajungal

Staff member
We're about 3/4 through The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series. It's pretty great. It's more sad than scary, but it's engaging, and the casting is pretty good. However, I don't know the original story. I think I saw part of the Liam Neeson movie, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.
Youd be better off watching the old one from the 50s or 60s.

We're about 3/4 through The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series. It's pretty great. It's more sad than scary, but it's engaging, and the casting is pretty good. However, I don't know the original story. I think I saw part of the Liam Neeson movie, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.
We are a little more than 3/4 through as well and loving it. I had kinda written it off until I saw Mike Flanagan was the director/ writer. Gave it a chance just based on his filmography (we loved Hush. Oculus, and Before I Wake) so far and I gotta say, this dude continues to outdo himself.

I love that the show focuses on the family's grief and dysfunction, and that the scares come from tension instead of just startling jump scares and the same cookie cutter imagery we see in every horror movie since the Ring.

I'm loving this, but in my mind I'm treating it as an extension of the original movie/book. The Liam Neeson one isn't so much an extension as it is a growth that should be removed.

I'm loving this, but in my mind I'm treating it as an extension of the original movie/book. The Liam Neeson one isn't so much an extension as it is a growth that should be removed.
I've never read the book or seen the first adaptation but yeah, my understanding is Flanagan took a lot of liberties with the source material. A few character names are kept but even they have some very different personalities.

I like what Steven King said about it.
Capture+_2018-10-17-10-18-38.png

Side note: Flanagan also adapted King's "Gerald's Game" for Netflix and is set to direct the sequel to "The Shining" (and I can't think of anyone today who'd be a better fit for that)

I'm sorry.

To be faaaaaaaiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr, most of the Canadian produced comedy TV is pretty top notch. The drama, not so much.

Also, we can't let you guys know there are women like Michelle Mylett up here. Had to keep her a secret for as long as we could.

I've never read the book or seen the first adaptation but yeah, my understanding is Flanagan took a lot of liberties with the source material. A few character names are kept but even they have some very different personalities.

I like what Steven King said about it.
View attachment 27778

Side note: Flanagan also adapted King's "Gerald's Game" for Netflix and is set to direct the sequel to "The Shining" (and I can't think of anyone today who'd be a better fit for that)
I just finished episode 6, and Mike Flanagan can kiss my entire ass. How dare he make a show that makes me ugly cry and then ends with an image that sits in my head when I'm trying to sleep. I'm here for scares, not feels.

I don't know, I like a lot of Canadian-made TV, especially science fiction. Republic of Doyle was a gem, Travelers is fantastic, Killjoys and Dark Matter were great...

GasBandit

Staff member
Red Green, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, You Can't Do That On Television, Are You Afraid of the Dark, heck, Fraggle Rock! All great Canadian TV, and were some of my favorite shows back in the day, even though at the time I didn't know most of them were even Canadian.

Red Green, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, You Can't Do That On Television, Are You Afraid of the Dark, heck, Fraggle Rock! All great Canadian TV, and were some of my favorite shows back in the day, even though at the time I didn't know most of them were even Canadian.
Red Green's actually in the middle of what is probably going to be his last tour, because he's just that old now. It's a shame, because Red Green was sort of the highlight of my Saturday nights as a young kid, since it was on our PBS station.

I'd agree on the sci front for sure! Sounds like I need to look into the drama stuff a bit more too.
I've sort of been enjoying Bad Blood, but I'm not really a fan of shows where mobsters are the protagonists.

I liked Rookie Blue, and Private Eyes is enjoyable fluff.

I don't know, I like a lot of Canadian-made TV, especially science fiction. Republic of Doyle was a gem, Travelers is fantastic, Killjoys and Dark Matter were great...
Does Stargate SG -1 count?
I just finished episode 6, and Mike Flanagan can kiss my entire ass. How dare he make a show that makes me ugly cry and then ends with an image that sits in my head when I'm trying to sleep. I'm here for scares, not feels.
Oh man, that's the last episode we watched too so I know EXACTLY what you mean. Haven't gotten back to it since Sunday cause my wife cannot handle horror movies at night.

Still haven't finished The Haunting of Hill House but I've already started rewatching it. Because of the story structure, there's a lot of stuff I didn't clue in to the first time around.

Also, I'm scanning every fucking scene intently looking for all the hidden ghosts

Haunting-of-Hill-House-Hidden-Bald-Man-ghost.jpg
Haunting-of-Hill-House-Hidden-basement-ghost.jpg

I REALLY like this show.

Still haven't finished The Haunting of Hill House but I've already started rewatching it. Because of the story structure, there's a lot of stuff I didn't clue in to the first time around.

Also, I'm scanning every fucking scene intently looking for all the hidden ghosts
I REALLY like this show.
It does my favorite thing in a ghost story: it doesn't feel the need to take a big, neon arrow and point at every creepy thing going on.

Don't forget the adventures of Pete and Pete

Finished the Haunting of Hill House. I felt a little let down by the finale, I gotta say, but the rest of the show was so damn good.

I saw a couple big reveals in the finale coming, but that might be A) because I was already on a second watch of the show and picking up on stuff in earlier episodes I missed the first time around and B) because I really enjoyed Oculus, and Flanagan has done some very similar things here with this. I didn't notice it, but I'm told the mirror from Oculus is even *in* the house.

I would love a second season but don't see how that'll happen. In the mean time, it does seem Mike Flanagan's getting some real recognition and his star is rising. I do believe he is the next big thing in horror. And he's going to take lot of these actors with him. Theo is played by his wife and occasional writing partner, who has appeared in every one of his movies, the actors playing Olivia, Shirley, and young Shirley have all worked with him before as well.

Now we're on to Daredevil season 3.
Its good so far but honestly, knowing that Netflix has cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage makes me a little less invested, since it seems like there's not going to be any more Defenders and this isn't really leading anywhere anymore.

Now we're on to Daredevil season 3.
Its good so far but honestly, knowing that Netflix has cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage makes me a little less invested, since it seems like there's not going to be any more Defenders and this isn't really leading anywhere anymore.
Well..... they're canceled on Netflix, because Disney/Marvel is preparing its own streaming service that will exclusively offer their shows. So Iron Fist and Luke Cage, etc, will almost certainly be back on the new service.