[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

So am I the only one who wants to talk about Boardwalk Empire?
I really, really liked Jimmy as a character. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm eager to see how much of a fucking tear Richard is going to go on now. I also feel like we got the first good glimpse into Nucky's true self. Everything else up to this point has been with the shiny veneer he puts on to charm other people.

BananaHands

Staff member
I really, really liked Jimmy as a character. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm eager to see how much of a fucking tear Richard is going to go on now. I also feel like we got the first good glimpse into Nucky's true self. Everything else up to this point has been with the shiny veneer he puts on to charm other people.
Hey, it's like Jimmy said to Nucky in the beginning of the series. "You can't be half a gangster anymore."

I've been watching Freaks and Geeks for the last couple of weeks. Why did I wait so long to watch this show?!
One of my favorite TV shows. I will forever hate NBC for cancelling after one season. If any network deserves to be in last place it's you NBC.

Kati and I both keep running into that problem.
1) (us) "Hey, this show is pretty good!"
2) (Network execs) "Hmm...let's cancel it."

--Patrick

Undeclared is alright. You'll see a few cameos from Freaks and Geeks and that will fuel you through the episodes. But it was hard for me not to compare it to F&G (even though it's entirely different) so I never fully bought into it.
And regarding the cancellation of Freaks and Geeks I wish they would have given the show some time to find an audience. I don't know if anyone here watched the series when it was on NBC but the network did nothing to promote the show. Then moved it around, changed nights of the show, it became almost impossible to find it. Even though it was receiving critical acclaim the network decided to shut it down after one. I remember an interview with Jerry Sienfield who said his show was in the bottom 10 the first season it aired. I believe Cheers also finished it's first couple of seasons low. But the network didn't have anything else to replace those shows with and they eventually found an audience.
Just because a show is great it doesn't mean an audience will find it (Arrested Development) but at least give it a couple of seasons before pulling the plug. I get so frustrated with the television audience. I don't know how shows like AD and F&G don't find an audience but shows like Two and a Half Men do.

Just because a show is great it doesn't mean an audience will find it (Arrested Development) but at least give it a couple of seasons before pulling the plug. I get so frustrated with the television audience. I don't know how shows like AD and F&G don't find an audience but shows like Two and a Half Men do.
Because a lot of people just want something on that they can digest at half-power. I have family who do not watch television shows, but they'll sit and stare at the TV every night, if you get my meaning.

Holy shit, why didn't anyone tell me about Lucky Louie? I've dug Louis CK but had never even heard of it.

The show is the most amazing anti-sitcom.

Since I'm on winter break right now, I finally got caught up on all the shows I've been having to miss in lieu of studying and homework.

Big Bang Theory
Doctor Who
Supernatural
Archer: what little of it there is :(
Clone Wars
How I Met your Mother (I'm thinking of taking this one off the viewing rotation, I'm getting pretty bored with it)
Game of Thrones
House

Last to get caught up on is Fringe.

I'd like to get invested in some of the newer shows like Grimm, but I just don't have the time to commit to TV that I used to.

Necronic

Staff member
Been watching Black Books and Father Ted on Netflix. Funny shows that hold up surprisingly well (usually british/irish comedy doesn't). Also watched Pulling. Another good one.

Finally I have been watching Parenthood. That's a fantastic show, although my gf makes fun of me and says its a girls show. She's been slowly pulling me into Gossip Girl (omg Chuck is evil/slick) and Ugly Betty (not a bad show)

My wife and I have started watching The Twilight Zone on Netflix.

For the handful of episodes that the twists have been spoiled for years due to The Simpsons and pop culture references, there's a load of these that are still gems after 60+ years and are thankfully not so referenced and parodied as to have lost their individual novelty.

Started watching How I Met Your Mother, to uphold my end of a pact I made with a friend to get her to watch Community.
I'm nearly finished the first season and I'm kinda bored with it. Its pretty good, but it isn't great. Its basically the new Friends, I think.

Earlier this week I watched the season premier of Justified. When the show was over, I was kinda pissed. Because it hit me, that I had to wait a week for the next episode, and that there are only 13 shows per episode. That show is too good to wait for and only be given so few episodes a year...

Coupling

A British comedy done by Steven Moffat (current top guy for Doctor Who). Oh, my god, I haven't laughed so hard at a sitcom in a very, very long time. More so than Community, which is really saying something.

DO NOT watch the American version. It is totally terrible.

I have no idea how they could make a literal shot for shot remake of the pilot episode using the exact same script (with tweaks to language like Apartment instead of Flat) and have it turn out as horrible as it did.

Actually, Coupling is like what happens when Friends and Sex in the City love each other very much and do the special naked dance.

So, Fresh Prince of Bel Air is my girlfriend's favorite show of all time so we've been watching it together. It really holds up well and is still one of the funniest sitcoms of the 90's by a long shot.

Oh god I'm watching How I Met Your Mother, and
I just watched the episode where Marshall's dad died, watching the episode where they go his funeral right now. I'm seriously crying right now. I can't deal with these storylines. Any movie or TV show where they tackle that inevitability. My dad is still alive, and so is my mom, thank god, but I will not be able to handle that when it comes.
Seriously.

I just finshed Jim Hensons The Story Teller as it was on NetFlix.

Soo...this show hit all my nightmare fuel qualifications. I liked it.