[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I am really, really, REALLY late to the game. But fucking Ted Lasso is an amazing show holy fuckballs. I haven't binged a show like this since the last season of Stranger Things.
same man, i got a couple free months of apple tv with a new phone and just burned through this last week in like two days. Incredible show.

Dave

Staff member
same man, i got a couple free months of apple tv with a new phone and just burned through this last week in like two days. Incredible show.
A buddy of mine wanted to watch it and I put it on my Plex server. I hadn't planned on watching it but he liked it so I gave it a chance. So glad I did.

I am really, really, REALLY late to the game. But fucking Ted Lasso is an amazing show holy fuckballs. I haven't binged a show like this since the last season of Stranger Things.
I started watching it based on your post. Heard great things about it for years.

It's...okay so far? My biggest gripe is all about the set up. UK soccer owner hires American football coach. Okay, lots of comedy potential there, sure.

But why isn't every single person and headline in this universe asking "WHY?" I get there's a character reason (it's basically a British version of 1989's Major League), but the fact that everyone just goes along with it, even though it makes absolutely no fucking sense? Why isn't the company owner being grilled by every reporter, investor, or investigator?

It honestly bugs me so much that everyone just rolls with it. Begrudgingly, mind you, but still rolls with it. It's hard to get invested when it's barely being seriously questioned.

I started watching it based on your post. Heard great things about it for years.

It's...okay so far? My biggest gripe is all about the set up. UK soccer owner hires American football coach. Okay, lots of comedy potential there, sure.

But why isn't every single person and headline in this universe asking "WHY?" I get there's a character reason (it's basically a British version of 1989's Major League), but the fact that everyone just goes along with it, even though it makes absolutely no fucking sense? Why isn't the company owner being grilled by every reporter, investor, or investigator?

It honestly bugs me so much that everyone just rolls with it. Begrudgingly, mind you, but still rolls with it. It's hard to get invested when it's barely being seriously questioned.
Not sure how far you are, but that was my first impression of it too. I think it was towards the end of the first season where it didnt feel like a rip off of Major League anymore. It uses that same starting premise, but goes somewhere much different.

Not sure how far you are, but that was my first impression of it too. I think it was towards the end of the first season where it didnt feel like a rip off of Major League anymore. It uses that same starting premise, but goes somewhere much different.
I'm on the second episode as I write this.

Don't get me wrong. I like most of the show. It has some great characters, as I'd expect from Bill "Scrubs" Lawrence, and some fiercely clever writing. Ted is a great character who rolls with everything with a smile. The characters are all multifaceted so far.

It's just that initial concept that's bothering me because I don't think it's being questioned enough within its own universe.

I'm on the second episode as I write this.

Don't get me wrong. I like most of the show. It has some great characters, as I'd expect from Bill "Scrubs" Lawrence, and some fiercely clever writing. Ted is a great character who rolls with everything with a smile. The characters are all multifaceted so far.

It's just that initial concept that's bothering me because I don't think it's being questioned enough within its own universe.
It gets questioned more later on I think, but it’s a valid criticism. It definitely took a few episodes to really get me attached to the series.

We started watching Succession. If it wasn't funny, it would be too depressing. It's enjoyable but I wouldn't mind having a character to root for.

I've heard it called GoT without dragons, but at least GoT has Jon Snow or Arya.

We started watching Succession. If it wasn't funny, it would be too depressing. It's enjoyable but I wouldn't mind having a character to root for.

I've heard it called GoT without dragons, but at least GoT has Jon Snow or Arya.
This is what keeps me from watching Succession. It's too on-the-nose, even though it's supposed to be fiction. Also why I stopped watching The Handmaid's Tale during season 2. There was a time when it seemed like a dystopian fantasy, but this ain't it now.

I'm very happy to see Jon Stewart back on the daily show even if it's only one day a week.

He may not be able to save us from the madness but at least we can laugh as everything implodes.

Watched a Netflix series called Oblivion. It's the cross between Jason Bourne and the Hangover that is refreshing and ridiculous at the same time.

Watched all of 3 Body Problem this morning, haven't read the books so can't say how it compares to that but I really enjoyed it so far. It's spotty but definitely intriguing and can't wait for more.

Watched all of 3 Body Problem this morning, haven't read the books so can't say how it compares to that but I really enjoyed it so far. It's spotty but definitely intriguing and can't wait for more.
I'm only 6 episodes in, but so far my impression is that the books do a much better job of introducing and developing the overarching ideas, while the show's doing a better job of having a single coherent and compelling story. I'm definitely very curious to see what they do with future seasons, as books 2 and 3 of the series really shift to a broader scope with much less interest in individual characters except as far as they impact events, and I can imagine it being very hard to translate that to a compelling tv show.

• Informative
Reactions: Far
Following my reading of Three Body Problem, my wife and I started the Netflix series. This is going to be a wild ride, because the book is all in on high-concept SF and the show seems to be sticking to the (sometimes very weird) concepts somewhat faithfully. The show got lots of criticism for white-washing the characters but I am not totally convinced on this one, mainly because the characterization in the novel is downright awful. It is so bad that making the main male character into two different women (one of whom is Asian) is definitely an improvement for the show. I also feel the parts that were culturally relevant in the novel (the Cultural Revolution, anything taking place within China prior to the present) is still in the show AND they manage to show more about Chinese culture than the book bothers with, such as with a funeral scene and the decoration of the homes of Chinese expats, etc. In the novel, everything that takes place in the present day is utterly devoid of any depiction of Chinese culture at all. The showrunners have a lot of room to color things in, I think.

I'm a bit down on the novel, though (see the What am I reading? thread), so I think the show is likely to only be an improvement. I'm only 1.5 episodes in, though, so there is plenty of time to be disappointed.

Dave

Staff member
The show is infinitely better than the book although with the people running it I have my doubts about them keeping to a good ending. The second and third books should make for and interesting show but there are some massive time jumps that people will probably not care for.

Still, the show explains what’s going on much better than the book.