Talk about the last movie you saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCM said:
Jet Li vs Jason Statham? Seemed like a great movie, only then you get a short mediocre fight scene at the end, and a twist that isnt played out well. *ugh*
We just had this on tonight. It was barely watchable. I couldn't even sit through the swordfighting (which as a former fencer I usually love to watch) because the editing sent me into an epileptic fit. I hate it when ADD action editors make it impossible to see the fight choreography but that's the style these days, and one of the big reasons I didn't like Batman Begins.

J

JCM

ZenMonkey said:
JCM said:
Jet Li vs Jason Statham? Seemed like a great movie, only then you get a short mediocre fight scene at the end, and a twist that isnt played out well. *ugh*
We just had this on tonight. It was barely watchable. I couldn't even sit through the swordfighting (which as a former fencer I usually love to watch) because the editing sent me into an epileptic fit. I hate it when ADD action editors make it impossible to see the fight choreography but that's the style these days, and one of the big reasons I didn't like Batman Begins.
I really think the problem is Statham´s agent. When its a personal project like Transporter and Crank, he´s awesome, but the second he says to his agent "Hey there chap, get me something good", he gets a shitty movie.

Anyone remember the Death Race remake? Its amazing how Statham´s sobbing over his daughter and wife and moving-cam scenes didnt help him beat a frakking B-movie star Carradine. Heck, not once in the movie did I laugh, or feel like cheering for him, while the original, even loaded with political satire and having every character be a heartless murderer, made you root for Carradine all the time.

Where else can you cheer someone for killing like this?
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pphMecGZQ_s:ghcrsqva][/youtube:ghcrsqva]

Or the awesome scoring system?
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfaLmE3a8ug:ghcrsqva][/youtube:ghcrsqva]

P

Philosopher B.

Rambo: First Blood Part 2

Well, I gotta say, the action was over the top awesome, to the point of being hilarious (such as in the scene where Rambo just stood there deliberately, methodically aiming his bow while a dude fired away at him with a pistol). But overall, I preferred the first movie, on account of the themes it dealt with and on account of some of the acting in the second movie being less than impressive (especially from the female lead). Plus, there were some rather cardboard cutout villains in the second movie, whereas the sheriff in the first movie was a joy to watch.

Milk

Best movie I've seen since 'Million Dollar Baby'. I don't know what to say other than I thought it was perfect in every way. My favorite quote (paraphrased): "It's not an issue ... it's our lives." Think I might get this on DVD (or Bluray, rather). Hell, I wouldn't mind the soundtrack, either.

The Wrestler

Not being a huge fan of wrestling, I basically watched this movie because of reviews and since I like Mickey Rourke. The movie definitely didn't disappoint. It was interesting seeing the wrestlers beat themselves up for the 'fakeness'. Overall I thought it was a moving look at a man who felt truly at home doing one thing and one thing only.

The Good German

A stylistic orgy. It was fun for the first ten-twenty minutes to see modern-day actors play at being in an old movie, but past that, it began to wear somewhat. I also felt kind of violated by seeing stuff like people doing it doggystyle in a movie trying so hard to emulate classic 40's films. I was surprised that in the kissing bits they didn't employ a healthy amount of tongue. Not quite sure what the overall point was, unless it was to speculate what films in bygone days might have been like had the Hays Code not existed. When it came right down to it, despite its best efforts at catching the style of old-time filmmaking, the movie had none of the true wit and sass that all of my favorite old movies do. Won't be seeing it again.

Thank You for Smoking

A fun (and funny) little comedy about a man who lives with his job as a defender of the tobacco industry. My favorite quote: "I wanna fuck you while I watch you on TV!" I think I like Katie Holmes now.

I bought "Thank You For Smoking" the day I watched it (rented it first). I watched it again when I got home.

I still hate Katie Holmes though.

I kept waiting (during Dark Knight) for Harvey Dent to start talking about cigarettes though.... :paranoid:

I Love You, Man

Huh, I REALLY enjoyed this one. Me and my roommate laughed pretty heartily at a lot of this. On top of that, it had a lot of surprisingly heartwarming moments in it. Two big thumbs up. Think I'll look into buying this maybe once it goes previously viewed and...well, maybe drops to around $6. But still! Great comedy that I totally recommend.

Twilight: This movie was a complete piece of crap.

We only watched it because I bought the Rifftrax for it, which was hilarious. If you're at all into MST3k or have downloaded Rifftrax before, this is a winner. Sometimes it just takes a terrible film to make you laugh.

A

Alex B.

Finally got to see Moon. So good.

Saw Funny People yesterday, and it was quite good as well. Though maybe not the laugh riot I expect some people thought it would be.

Oh, and saw the trailers for 9 and It Might Get Loud, which both look great.

The Axis of Evil Comedy Tour
Nice little bit of stand-up from unknown (to me anyway) comedians ranging from Palestinian to Israeli. Granted it's your obvious "racial and omg 911" style jokes, it did it's job in getting some chuckles out of me.

JCVD
Had to see it after all the hub-bub. Best movie Van Damme has done, but that's not saying alot. Worth the watch though.

GI Joe
Great piece of action cinema. Terrible "GI Joe" inspired movie though. The characters have none of the original histories in tact and if you have any love for the characters you grew up watching, you'll be dissapointed that they're almost all completely changed. With the amazing exception of Snake Eyes who steals the movie with every scene he does. The dialogue was terrible though and the script for each of the characters was wooden, predictable and stale. Luckily these are not things required to make a fun action film that doesn't really require too much "brain shutting off" ala Transformers 2. Worth the watch in the theatre, not worth a second viewing.

fade

Staff member
Primer
I was impressed by the attempt to show science realistically. I also appreciated the way that they showed how scientific discoveries sometimes happen by accident. The story was a little weak, though. We've seen "bad things happening because you're screwing with the timeline" before. In fact, it's almost safe to say that most time travel movies center around the consequences of using it unwisely. The mystery unfolding at the end was nice, though it was pretty confusing. It took another watch through to figure it out. It was confusing because of the very realism they were going for. It was sometimes tough to make out what they were even saying, what with the constantly talking at the same time. I was also impressed by the $7000 budget. I'd give it a 3/5, I think. It's a good effort, and I hope the filmmakers get another shot.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Not sure if this has even been released yet, got it by "other means" but it's going pretty high up on my all-time favorites list. I'll use the IMBD description as it's pretty on the nose:
A serial killer obsessively documents his career in carnage in this pseudo-documentary thriller. When police raid a house in the suburbs north of New York City, they discover a profoundly disturbing record of one man's ugly crimes. Investigators find over 800 videotapes shot by the killer which present a visual record of his murders in all their horrifying details. Both state and federal law enforcement teams sift through the gruesome images, looking for clues of the slayer's identity, the identity of his victims, and where he could possibly have gone. But repeated viewings of the material reveals little beyond the terrible facts of the crimes, and as the authorities comb through the madman's images, they find the tapes have had a disquieting effect on them.
It was superbly done, fantastic "documentary" style filming, believeable acting on all parties, gruesome enough (I would have liked to see more but it would have easily rated "X" if it went any further than it did) and all in all a worthwhile watch again and again. Will be buying this on Blu-Ray for sure.

A

Alucard

Pulp Fiction: Never been able to watch the whole thing
Kill Bill Volume 1

J

JCM

The Reader
Okay, I read the book, so the movie lost its impact on me, but damn does Kate Winslet have weird thick nipples.

Nelly
A creepy French movie about a family and their sick father who just sleeps all day. [spoiler:1e25gplo]Except he's not sick, hes dead.[/spoiler:1e25gplo]

Miller's Crossing
Typical Coen brother's excellence, and great ganster movie that keeps you guessing until the end.

17 Again

Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. Got it for free at work. Figured I should watch it so I know what I'm talking about to customers.

It was...pretty much what you expect from a Disney movie starring Zach Efron. I wound up doing yoga while half-watching it. It was predictable as all hell (including a near-Back to the Future "nearly sleep with my mother" kinda moment) and I swear, all of Efron's inspiration speeches were written by the Full House writers.

Still, it wasn't entirely terrible. I've certainly seen worse and Efron put actual effort into getting Matthew Perry's mannerisms down (kind of, but not the whole time). I'll be recommending it to the usual teenage crowd, who will be renting it, anyway, for "OMG kewt boyz!"

W

Wyrminarrd

Watched "Bloodsport" with Jean-Claude Van Damme last night. It was hilariously bad, even the fight scenes are really dated and look bad compared to his later stuff.

All The Real Girls.

I really liked this one. Its nice to find a movie that doesn't have the typical happy ending to it. It's not really a sad ending, it's just an ending. I think I may have to watch it again.

One of the funniest scenes got cut though. The deleted scene where Bust-Ass was trying to make himself puke was great.

Cajungal

Staff member
escushion said:
Twilight: This movie was a complete piece of crap.

We only watched it because I bought the Rifftrax for it, which was hilarious. If you're at all into MST3k or have downloaded Rifftrax before, this is a winner. Sometimes it just takes a terrible film to make you laugh.
I actually kept Twilight from the Redbox for 3 days so I could show the Rifftrax to some friends... *>.<* I can't help it, it was so hilarious!

Waltz With Bashir

Wow. Just...just wow. I'd love to show this to any moron who thinks that just because it's animated, it's not a good movie or for kids (seriously, I knew a guy that refused to see the South Park movie for that very reason). This was just amazing from beginning to end. Though, the final two or three minutes of it were just heart breaking, but no spoilers. I can definitely see why this was nominated for Best Foreign this year.

The Happening

Decided to finally check this out after a conversation with a fellow employee at work the other day. And you know what? I liked it. I liked it a lot, in fact. I thought it was an interesting story, with a great premise and some really neat visuals and subtleties. Like the use of the mood ring in a few scenes. Or the ongoing premise of that panic that people feel when they're disconnected and can't find out information (or, towards the end, how someone might be if they disconnect themselves entirely). I honestly don't know why so many people hated this movie.

Funny People. Awesome movie, don't go expecting another Superbad, it's more like Knocked Up. Lots of good, funny moments but all in all it's here to tell a story.

D

Dusty668

Buena Vista Social Club

Absolutely great music, also for me a very interesting look in the Cubano life.

the 2004 thunderbirds film. :(

the only reason i kept my sanity was that it was in spanish, so i had no idea if the script was as bad as everything else i was watching.
and... if the villain is able to steal vehicles that are faster than anything civilian or military... WHY does he use them to rob the bank of england? it makes no sense! just sell the damn machines and make a goddamn fortune!

S

Steven Soderburgin

CynicismKills said:
Funny People. Awesome movie, don't go expecting another Superbad, it's more like Knocked Up. Lots of good, funny moments but all in all it's here to tell a story.
What did you think of the third act? I really loved the first two thirds of the movie, but the last act felt like it was from a different movie to me. If that last act had been as good as the first two, then Funny People would've been among the very best of the year. I still think people should see it, though, because those first two thirds are so fantastic.

Kissinger said:
CynicismKills said:
What did you think of the third act? I really loved the first two thirds of the movie, but the last act felt like it was from a different movie to me. If that last act had been as good as the first two, then Funny People would've been among the very best of the year. I still think people should see it, though, because those first two thirds are so fantastic.
Completely agree. The entire sequence at Leslie Mann's character's house seemed really, really oddly drawn out.

Kissinger said:
CynicismKills said:
All in all I agree, something didn't feel right. However, I did like that [spoiler:2zpbvkek]Adam Sandler's character doesn't win in the end, that it played out like it would in a real situation, and that he's slowly learning to accept that he needs someone like Ira.[/spoiler:2zpbvkek]

S

Steven Soderburgin

CynicismKills said:
All in all I agree, something didn't feel right. However, I did like that [spoiler:141pose9]Adam Sandler's character doesn't win in the end, that it played out like it would in a real situation, and that he's slowly learning to accept that he needs someone like Ira.[/spoiler:141pose9]
Oh, yeah, I totally get why Apatow took the story there, but I feel like he could've made it tighter, and delivered that without the unnecessarily broad comedy, cliche, and characters acting in ways that don't fit them.

ElJuski

Staff member
Kissinger said:
CynicismKills said:
All in all I agree, something didn't feel right. However, I did like that [spoiler:3423lfrs]Adam Sandler's character doesn't win in the end, that it played out like it would in a real situation, and that he's slowly learning to accept that he needs someone like Ira.[/spoiler:3423lfrs]
Oh, yeah, I totally get why Apatow took the story there, but I feel like he could've made it tighter, and delivered that without the unnecessarily broad comedy, cliche, and characters acting in ways that don't fit them.
It felt like, by the time that Appatow had to start wrapping things up, the movie was so long and sprawling it was almost impossible to do so. By trying to make everything evolve organically, I think he lost sight of not only time constraints, but also audience expectations within those time constraints. And instead of the movie going on for another hour, characters had to pull some sort of solution from their magic hat. I didn't think they did justice to Bana and Mann's relationship at all.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Yeah. Apatow has always had a little bit of trouble with his female characters, but Mann's character is so poorly drawn that I never got a sense of who she was at all. Bana's character is more interesting, but they have him doing this sort of slapstick kind of performance. To his credit, though, Bana performs this admirably. But throughout that final act, I kept thinking about the short scene with George's sister and wondering where she was, wishing that the movie had explored that relationship more, instead of this really labored and inauthentic tangent.

Sita Sings the Blues

Interesting concept, but kind of poor pacing. It just ended so abruptly that I left feeling a bit cheated; like a cliffhanger ending. I like what I saw, but I wish they would have wrapped it up differently.

The Soloist

I like RDJ and Foxx, but this movie didn't really inspire the way I thought it would. It was okay, but nothing special. I questioned RDJ's character about whether he was doing things out of kindness or to write a book. I guess you can do both, but you have to wonder if he was thinking about how it would all play out on paper.

I'd recommend renting either. They're worth at least a single watch, but I'd probably not watch them twice.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I think The Happening is a real dealbreaker on movie opinions. I... I can't believe you liked it. I just. I'm sorry TheNickGuy...I think we have to break up :(
We were together? :Leyla:

But seriously, what WAS wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.