Talk about the last movie you saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animation night (or rather a night I actually had time to watch some movies) consisted of...
Coraline
I watched the 3D version but I think that kind of effect is only done justice in theaters. The movie itself is amazing though. Though the writing is stiff and a bit forced, it makes up for it with the animation and effects. I also enjoyed the differences between the two worlds, such as [spoiler:10rgp6zx]the stuffed terriers in angel costumes while in the other world they are bats.[/spoiler:10rgp6zx]

Horton Hears a Who.
As an animation nut I think it's odd I took so long to see this one. I like it as a film but I have mixed feelings how much a decent adaptation of a Dr. Suess book it is.

Coraline really is the best movie to come out on video in several weeks, in my opinion. :)

Dragonball

Actually, this one started out pretty bad, turned into something that I thought might be a fun guilty pleasure movie, then went back to being total crap when the big main event started. Surpisingly, most of the characters acted pretty dead on from the cartoon...EXCEPT Goku, who is a lot ore teen angst than overwhelming optimism. The special effects are either bad or atrocious, and gets REALLY bad during the main event. Seriously, the most fun in the show were the fights and yet that's the part that sucked the most. James Masters was clearly just phoning it in for the paycheque and he barely even had ten lines in total.

Overall, I'd say I got my money's worth (thank God for a Blockbuster job and free movies). Fortunately, I watched it with my roommates, so I didn't have to suffer through it alone.

Ghost Town

I'm honestly not a big fan of Ricky Gervais (sp?), but I liked this a lot. There were a lot of genuinely funny and genuinely sweet moments in it. It felt like a comedy version of The Sixth Sense at time, though. But I liked how the special effects for everything ghost related wasn't in your face, but it was nice and quiet and subtle. One thing I liked was most of the romantic scenes between Gervais and Tea Leoni didn't include Greg Kinnear (the ghost tagging along Gervais' character), so it gave the movie a chance for us to really see the romantic chemistry between the two.

Great movie to watch to wash the bad taste of Dragonball out of my mouth.

I picked up Coraline and have watched it twice since I got it. Once was with the 3d. My thoughts on the 3d is that it doesn't translate well onto t.v.'s. All of the colors seemed muted. I'll probably watch it from now on without the glasses.

The Watchmen. I still like it. I know, it's not perfect, and there are things I still don't like about it, but overall it's not a bad movie. If it wasn't called "The Watchmen" and wasn't based on such an iconic graphic novel, I think it would have been better received by the comic community.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
I picked up Coraline and have watched it twice since I got it. Once was with the 3d. My thoughts on the 3d is that it doesn't translate well onto t.v.'s. All of the colors seemed muted. I'll probably watch it from now on without the glasses.
Pro-tip, the colors would've been muted in the theater, too. 3D tends to do that. :/
The Watchmen. I still like it. I know, it's not perfect, and there are things I still don't like about it, but overall it's not a bad movie. If it wasn't called "The Watchmen" and wasn't based on such an iconic graphic novel, I think it would have been better received by the comic community.
It has a lot of problems completely independent of the graphic novel. It would've been better received by the comic community, maybe, but everyone else would've still had the same problems with it.

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:
Pro-tip, the colors would've been muted in the theater, too. 3D tends to do that. :/
I disagree. It has a lot of problems completely independent of the graphic novel.
I expect you to disagree. You're a persnickety one ;)

Also it's not called "The Watchmen" anywhere. It's "Watchmen".

I saw (500) Days of Summer last night and I really loved it. It was just a great amount of whimsical fun, and the people calling it a 20-something and 30 years later version of Annie Hall were spot on. I loved the way it made L.A. a living, breathing city without being obnoxious. It would have been a really great movie if the secondary characters were not all pretty throwaway and terrible.

J

JCM

Eden Lake: Whats with movies making the antagonist despicable to the point you want him to die, and in the end, after making us watch suffering after suffering as a couple tries to survive, [spoiler:1i3bzc4d]the antagonists father is the one who rescues the woman, then kills her?[/spoiler:1i3bzc4d]

Quarantine: I didnt know this was a shitty remake of the Mexican "Rec".

S

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Also it's not called "The Watchmen" anywhere. It's "Watchmen".
Whatever. :eyeroll:

This is why you two are hard to take seriously.
God damn, I ain't that kind of nitpicky, don't throw me in with that guy on this one.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a HUGE asshole, but if you're saying something about what the movie's called exactly and you get it wrong that's a little funny to me.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I mean, I'm not trying to be a HUGE asshole, but if you're saying something about what the movie's called exactly and you get it wrong that's a little funny to me.
I didn't say you were an asshole. It just gets tiresome arguing semantics.

Cajungal

Staff member
Krisken said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Let's start making up dumb, made-up names to movies. Watchmen can be Superfolks: Up the Vigilante Ante

Cajungal said:
Krisken said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Let's start making up dumb, made-up names to movies. Watchmen can be Superfolks: Up the Vigilante Ante
Die Hard -> Pass on to the other side with a power of great magnitude. Maybe?

Just watched the director's cut of Watchmen. I still enjoy it. It has it's issues, like it's god awful over the top fight scenes and some really odd music choices (raging Blade Techno). I liked the added scenes, especially all the extra Hollis Mason stuff.

A

Alucard

Lethal Weapons 1-4 Director's Cut version.

"It's been revoked"

Saw the originals when I was younger but the Director's Cut seems pretty cool.

I like at the end of that car chase I think is it Lethal Weapon 3 where the surfboard kills the bad guy.

Saw The Proposal. It wasn't bad, Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock are pretty funny together, and Betty White is a weird character as usual.

The Sasquatch Gang. I can't even begin to describe the plot, but it is produced by Kevin Spacey and features Justin Long, Carl Weathers (Chubs!), Lazlo from real Genius (the guy that lived in the closet) and even has a cameo by the Napoleon Dynamite guy (too lazy to Google). Unfortunately, I was blindsided by this movie, I caught it by chance and didn't DVR it. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at such stupid shit (Justin Long's mullet is absolutely priceless).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460925/

A

Alucard

Just got down viewing Green Lantern First Light and it was a pretty good DC animated film.

How come they can come out with better quality films than Marvel?

It was cool how they did the lantern speech at the end of the film.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8911puJ2a8:33dpj1lv][/youtube:33dpj1lv]

But is this green lantern Hal Jordon different than the one from the one in the Justice League?

BlackCat said:
How come they can come out with better quality films than Marvel?
The same reason they come out with better quality comics? *runs away from the Marvel zombies!* :zombie:

BlackCat said:
But is this green lantern Hal Jordon different than the one from the one in the Justice League?
The Justice League cartoon? You mean John Stewart? Yyyyyeah, a bit. :p

Not sure what you mean, though. Hal's always been the same Hal. Well, except when he was dead. Or when he was The Spectre (don't ask).

A

Alucard

I just didn't know that there were two green lanterns I was only familiar with John Stewart from the Justice League series
not Hal Jordon. I'm just not to familiar with the green lantern mythos in the DC universe

Yeah. The movie is a pretty basic intro to the whole GL mythos. Hal's been the main GL for the most part, but John took over for awhile (and is still active as GL in the comics; in fact, every GL has a partner in their sector now, like cops, and John is Hal's).

There was another called Guy Gardner, who's a big douchey jock kinda guy (made an appearance in Batman: Brave & the Bold)

And there was Kyle Rayner, who took over as the one and only GL after Hal went crazy and literally killed all the GL Corps, the Guardians and Sinestro.

...he got better. :tongue:

fade

Staff member
Fido: 5 out of 5. No question. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. 3 parts black comedy and 7 parts social commentary. Surprisingly poignant in places. Dare I say it? This movie does the "Who's really the zombie?" question better that the Romero movies via examination of conformity and social norms. It also deals well with the in-your-face nature of death in the zombie world. And technically, it's gorgeously directed. The color work really invokes the setting (it's set in the 1950s. The camera is always in the right place without all the seasick panning and tracking that pervades movies these days. Music cues were well placed without being overwhelming. Makeup was just enough. It was also nice to see Carrie Anne Moss in something other than the Matrix movies.

Plot summary? It's some undefined, though presumably rather short, time after the zombie war. The zombies conform more or less to the Romero-established rules. There are safe areas, including the town of Willard, where the movie is set. A corporation called Zomcon rules all, and it has successfully managed to domesticate zombies through the use of collars. The movie centers around a lonely kid who befriends his family's new zombie. I won't spoil anything else.

I just saw the new Star Trek for the first time, in IMAX even. Glad I didn't watch a CAM version beforehand. Though the guy tried to kick me out during the credits, wanting to close the theater and go home a few minutes early. They wouldn't have even cleaned it until the next morning.

Race to Witch Mountain

In the words of a great philosopher: THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!

I mean, sure, it was just a fun, action packed kids flick, but goddamn, son, it was fun. The Rock was endlessly entertaining as usual and I swear, he just needs one movie franchise that centers entirely around him and he'll be huge. You know, bigger than he is now with the run of very basic action flicks. He just needs his Indiana Jones or his Matrix or...something. Something where he can fit in his amazing comedic timing, typical action shots, etc.

L

Lally

The boyfriend and I watched Religulous, the anti-religion documentary by Bill Maher. I should preface by saying I love Bill Maher, I think he's hilarious, and I whole-heartedly agree with his views on religion. But, I think the documentary would have had more impact if he had sought a bit harder to find more credible people to interview (although I thought interviewing the Arkansas senator was brilliant -- you don't have to pass an IQ test to be a senator, indeed). Also, he makes a point about the Christ mythology being ripped off of older gods, specifically Horus, and Egyptian god. He went down a long list of plot elements that the Horus mythology and Christ mythology have in common (virgin birth, twelve disciples, died for his people's sins, etc). I did a wee bit of googling (I'll admit, not a lot) after watching the film and I can't find most of the stuff he was saying, except in relation to his film. So I am a bit wary of that until I find some more information to confirm it. Even with all that said, it's probably one of my favorite documentaries I've ever watched (though it doesn't hurt that I agree with his arguments already). The special features (some monologues that didn't get put in the final cut at all or in their entirety, and some deleted interviews) are definitely worth watching.

I finally got around to watching Apocalypse Now about a week or so ago, and I finally get Charlie Don't Surf. Also, it was awesome and is on The List of Greatest Things According to the Only Person Who Matters (It's Me). ...(TM)

I rewatched both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Léon the Professional not too long ago as well.

The last time I saw 2001 I was like 12 and I hated it. It was boring and pointless. This time around, I thought it was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I like the ambiguity it has throughout. 12-year old me is a philistine.

Léon is still one of the best films ever. Gary Oldman is a scary motherfucking psychopath. "You don't like Beethoven. You don't know what you're missing. Overtures that get my... juices flowing. Although, to be honest, after his openings, he does tend to get a little bit fucking boring. That's why I stopped!"

fade said:
Fido: 5 out of 5. No question. It was also nice to see Carrie Anne Moss in something other than the Matrix movies.
I couldn't agree more. This movie REALLY should have gotten more coverage when it came out. It's fantastic. Also Carrie was a very hot little housewife. :hump: [spoiler:1kmhfoih]When she burns the little house down, if I had a fireman, it would have been at full attention for sure[/spoiler:1kmhfoih]
ThatNickGuy said:
Race to Witch Mountain

In the words of a great philosopher: THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!
How can I put this........... no. No No No No.
The Rock needs to get out of whatever contract he has with Disney and get back to business. Seriously. He was easily poised to be our next big action star ala Stallone/Schwarzenegger and now he's doing the same mistake that ended Schwarzenegger's career.

Humor he can do. Action? He does 10x better.
Lally said:
The boyfriend and I watched Religulous, the anti-religion documentary by Bill Maher.
Loved loved loved this film. As a child growing up in a heavily Catholic family and now currently an aethiest (if you must give it a title) the movie hit so true on SO many levels. As for the comparison to older religions and Catholosism just being a conglomerate of copies of them, he's pretty much dead on. I'll try and look up the source material when I get home.

As for what I've seen recently:
Imprint: A "japanese" horror film on Netflix Instant Watch. Sadly I was fooled. It was by a Japanese director, but that's where the similarity of great Japanese horror this piece of Americana cinema. It was badly acted, poorly scripted, and over the top (in the wrong ways) [spoiler:1kmhfoih]In one scene, it shows a women preforming an abortion with her bare hands and tossing the minature baby into the nearby river[/spoiler:1kmhfoih] All in all it's defenitely one to skip.

Shegokigo said:
How can I put this........... no. No No No No.
The Rock needs to get out of whatever contract he has with Disney and get back to business. Seriously. He was easily poised to be our next big action star ala Stallone/Schwarzenegger and now he's doing the same mistake that ended Schwarzenegger's career.

Humor he can do. Action? He does 10x better.
Which is why, like I said, he should something that mixes both together well, you know? I'm not saying he needs to do straight comedy, although I did kind of dig him in the comedies that he's done (yeah, I even kind of enjoyed The Game Plan). The guy has some fantastic comedic timing.

ElJuski

Staff member
I had a chance to see the mind-fuck that was Knowing last night. I say mind-fuck because I am absolutely baffled at how this movie got made. That and the incomprehensible, moronic plot that doesn't de-rail so much, but turn into a strange robotic Micheal Jackson in a fight against Joe Pesci and taking to the stars. There was promise there--there was hope, that, besides Nicholas Cage's usual cracked-out, weirdo acting, the movie could be marginally entertaining. Even like, BAD entertaining.

My hopes were dashed fairly early on. Honestly, I just wanted something on par with Cage's horribly awesome Wicker Man. What I was left with, was wondering why Hollywood had to so thoroughly, yet awkwardly, hammer in the Christian creation myth into my brain, with a protagonist whose religious identity crisis comes to an abrupt change towards the end, even though he always "believed" in a random piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it anyway.

I will say, though, that as I watched the movie I saw a lot of good .gif potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.