[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

[user]Gilgamesh[/user], for someone who apparently despises Honey Boo Boo and what it represents, you sure are doing your part to make sure it gets as much mindshare as possible.

Slowly expanding my Blu-Ray collection and replacing some of my favorite DVDs (Love that Blu-Ray has hit the $5 bin):

Resident Evil - What can I say, it's nothing like the games, the characters that do share names with characters from the game are nothing alike, the storyline is not even remotely similar but I've come to enjoy this series as an entity all it's own. Still good as the first time I saw it? Probably not, the CGI effects are slightly dated and not remotely realistic but were great during their time.
Worth switching from DVD to Blu-Ray? - Yes definitely. Even though the CGI sticks out even worse and the noise filter in encoded into the original film (as most horror movies do) the zombie gore and scenery really stand out and the mood setting colors are even better.

Resident Evil: Apocolypse - This is a rare series where each new entry into the series is better than the last. They ramp up everything: the action, the gore, the bodycount etc. Sadly again, nothing to do with the game in any way at all other than some shared names. Still, very fun and enjoyable if you liked the first.
Worth switching from DVD to Blu-Ray? - Again, yes. They had a bigger budget and while the CGI was still a little spotty here and there it's better than the previous entry. All the reasons the first one was a good upgrade, this one is worth upgrading.

Resident Evil: Extinction - Seeing a trend here? Here we get to see SUPER ALICE! Which begins to go a bit overboard but still, it fits the series -ramp up- style. It's supposed to be bigger, sillier and more action packed and it does the job in all aspects. Plotholes? Absolutely. Is this a -GREAT- film? Nope. Is it a good addition to the series? Completely.
Worth switching from DVD to Blu-Ray? - Yes. Just see above :)

Doomsday - Thought I was going to say Resident Evil again huh? :p I didn't pick up the 4th one (yet) but this movie fit the bill much like the rest: Great film? Nope. Great at it's genre? Hell yes. The post-apocolyptic genre really needs more great movies and this one is up there with them. It has all the elements it needs: Psycho Mad Maxians. King Arthurian recluses. Blood/violence/wastelands? Oh yes yes yes. A great female lead, much in the vein of Milia Jovavich or Kate Beckingsale? Hell yes. If you're a fan of the genre, pick this up for sure. Do not expect a plothole free movie (it's bursting at the seams) or an amazingly original story. Come for the post apocolyptic goodness and enjoy.
Worth switching from DVD to Blu-Ray? - I'm actually going to say no. If you don't own the DVD yet, then sure, pick up the Blu-Ray as the quality will be better. If you already own the DVD, there's nothing really here to see visually that makes it worth it.

Seven Psychopaths - I thought this was very good. Martin McDonaugh is a really talented filmmaker. It has possibly the worst ad campaign I've seen in years. I was the only person in the audience that wasn't audibly upset with the movie upon leaving / at the end.

Argo - This was really fucking awesome. Ben Affleck is a great filmmaker and actor in this as well. A really smart, tense, adult thriller.

North_Ranger

Staff member
It seems you are right, Gilgamesh ol' boy... Oftentimes we are at an impasse when it comes to various media. I, personally consider the whole damn Resident Evil series a failure in cheesemaking. At first it is okay and enjoyable, but as the series goes on, the flaws of the original get forefronted at the expense of the good things. So instead of growing better with time like a fine cheese, this is more like the Monday effort of a bumbling apprentice: it starts to taste off, then it grows hair and starts rotting.

The latest RE movie just made me want to bang my head against the wall, and when I heard there's another one coming out this year I went NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! like that emo bitch Vader.

It seems you are right, Gilgamesh ol' boy... Oftentimes we are at an impasse when it comes to various media. I, personally consider the whole damn Resident Evil series a failure in cheesemaking. At first it is okay and enjoyable, but as the series goes on, the flaws of the original get forefronted at the expense of the good things. So instead of growing better with time like a fine cheese, this is more like the Monday effort of a bumbling apprentice: it starts to taste off, then it grows hair and starts rotting.

The latest RE movie just made me want to bang my head against the wall, and when I heard there's another one coming out this year I went NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! like that emo bitch Vader.
Yet you made no points about why it was bad. I had already said it didn't have great acting/storyline etc. I simply said it was great for what it was, an action/horror film with little bearing to it's game namesake. It has a -ramp up style- of sequels and they do just that in each one. If you don't like ludacris action/horror then obviously you won't like this series.

Seven Psychopaths - I thought this was very good. Martin McDonaugh is a really talented filmmaker. It has possibly the worst ad campaign I've seen in years. I was the only person in the audience that wasn't audibly upset with the movie upon leaving / at the end.

Argo - This was really fucking awesome. Ben Affleck is a great filmmaker and actor in this as well. A really smart, tense, adult thriller.
This pretty well. Except the audience I saw Seven Pyschopaths with seemed pretty good with it. It was a much older crowd than I'm used to in a theater. That movie belonged to Sam Rockwell.

Seconded. Amazing film about an amazing moment in history.

So my dad and I rented Bernie from redbox last night. Quirky black comedy (based on a true story) about a mean old bat who was murdered by her extreme doormat business manager/traveling companion. Obviously, the film is tinted so we root for the protagonist despite his crime but it was very good.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yet you made no points about why it was bad. I had already said it didn't have great acting/storyline etc. I simply said it was great for what it was, an action/horror film with little bearing to it's game namesake. It has a -ramp up style- of sequels and they do just that in each one. If you don't like ludacris action/horror then obviously you won't like this series.
Well, if you absolutely insist ;)

- Explosions do not a good story make.
- Completely illogical or nonsensical plot elements (for example, how the hell did the people in that LA prison survive so long and still look like they'd been picked off the street the day before? And what the hell was up with that humongous monster with the hammer? Where the hell is Umbrella keeping all these crispy-looking soldiers all the time?)
- Alice and 90% of the living cast have all the personality of a wet tissue paper or are stereotypical cardboard cut-outs. The first movie is exempt because there you actually gave a crap who lived and who died.
- Gimmicky zombies (fast rage zombies in the 3rd movie, squidmaw zombies in the 4th).
- Too heavy reliance on 3-D and visuals to cover the flaws in storytelling and characterisation.
- Umbrella going from a corrupt, high-tech pharmaceutical company who didn't originally know what they had when they created to T-virus to a corrupt, sci-fi conspiracy who released the T-virus to... to... uh... free up money from the human resources budget to make more sunglasses for Wesker?
- The horror element of the first movie lost in favor of more action, explosions and killing nameless henchmen. You could pretty much call the last movie Ultraviolet: Now with Zombies in the Background.

I considered the first Resident Evil movie genuinely scary, a refreshingly different horror movie with its own take on the zombie mythos. The second movie was still pretty good, the third was decent when focusing on anything but Alice and those Umbrella schmucks, the fourth... yecchh. Besides, there's not really any kind of excitement to be had from the series anymore. Alice is pretty much invincible Super Kung-Fu Action Jesus with tits who cannot die because of Applied Phlebotinum, and the rest of the good guys either get killed in this movie or get killed within the first five minutes of the next movie so that Super Kung-Fu Action Jesus with tits can find some other group of good guys and blow up some other Umbrella facility in the process.

I'm gonna go on a whim here and hope that by Resident Evil XII: Frustration, the group of survivors just run like hell when they see Alice. 'Cause they've heard the stories. About the lone redhead travelling the world... and getting everyone within a five-mile radius of her skinny-ass self killed dead.

Yeah, admittedly I'm not a fan of that particular movie series ;) But there's no arguing over matters of taste.

Well, if you absolutely insist ;)

- Explosions do not a good story make.
Never said they did.

- Completely illogical or nonsensical plot elements (for example, how the hell did the people in that LA prison survive so long and still look like they'd been picked off the street the day before? And what the hell was up with that humongous monster with the hammer? Where the hell is Umbrella keeping all these crispy-looking soldiers all the time?)
I stated clearly that the films had huge plotholes.

- Alice and 90% of the living cast have all the personality of a wet tissue paper or are stereotypical cardboard cut-outs. The first movie is exempt because there you actually gave a crap who lived and who died.
Disagree with that opinion, especially since they carry over characters from movie to movie (Claire/Kmart/TJ/Carlos etc)

- Gimmicky zombies (fast rage zombies in the 3rd movie, squidmaw zombies in the 4th).
They're based on the video game zombies. Each movie takes it's ques from the games as far as monster creation.

- Too heavy reliance on 3-D and visuals to cover the flaws in storytelling and characterisation.
Never bothered watching them in 3D and this was a blu-ray review.

- Umbrella going from a corrupt, high-tech pharmaceutical company who didn't originally know what they had when they created to T-virus to a corrupt, sci-fi conspiracy who released the T-virus to... to... uh... free up money from the human resources budget to make more sunglasses for Wesker?
They always knew what they had in the T-Virus and the High Tech Pharmacedutical was a cover that they established within the first 20minutes of the first movie

- The horror element of the first movie lost in favor of more action, explosions and killing nameless henchmen. You could pretty much call the last movie Ultraviolet: Now with Zombies in the Background.
It was never a Horror movie. It was an action/horror.

I considered the first Resident Evil movie genuinely scary, a refreshingly different horror movie with its own take on the zombie mythos. The second movie was still pretty good, the third was decent when focusing on anything but Alice and those Umbrella schmucks, the fourth... yecchh. Besides, there's not really any kind of excitement to be had from the series anymore. Alice is pretty much invincible Super Kung-Fu Action Jesus with tits who cannot die because of Applied Phlebotinum, and the rest of the good guys either get killed in this movie or get killed within the first five minutes of the next movie so that Super Kung-Fu Action Jesus with tits can find some other group of good guys and blow up some other Umbrella facility in the process.
Again, you're missing the point of a RAMP UP series.

I'm gonna go on a whim here and hope that by Resident Evil XII: Frustration, the group of survivors just run like hell when they see Alice. 'Cause they've heard the stories. About the lone redhead travelling the world... and getting everyone within a five-mile radius of her skinny-ass self killed dead.
Uhhh ok?

Yeah, admittedly I'm not a fan of that particular movie series ;) But there's no arguing over matters of taste.
I don't mind you calling them bad movies because they're bad, I mind you making points against them that aren't solid. Hence I had to counter-point.

Hey look, people with subjective opinions that differ. On the internet guys.
Well in fairness I defended both subjective opinions and facts (The action horror vs horror comment, the error in realizing the plotline about the corporation etc)

North_Ranger

Staff member
Okay, I concede on the corporation plotline bit. And yes, it's a ramp-up series. I just fail to find anything interesting in a series following a Mary Sue who pretty much doesn't get a scratch and keeps finding nice, tight, ass-hugging leather pants and frickin' Hattori Hanzo-level katanas in a world where getting your face eaten is a regular thing.

Again, just my personal preference.

I've always joked that any time I think Paul Anderson is making another RE movie, it's working title is "My wife is hot and I want you all to know that: Part X", where X is the number of the sequel.

I liked the first movie, but the rest have been pretty terrible. Get rid of Alice as a character and they could be serviceable... Milla is hands down the worst part of all the movies.

Okay, I concede on the corporation plotline bit. And yes, it's a ramp-up series. I just fail to find anything interesting in a series following a Mary Sue who pretty much doesn't get a scratch and keeps finding nice, tight, ass-hugging leather pants and frickin' Hattori Hanzo-level katanas in a world where getting your face eaten is a regular thing.

Again, just my personal preference.
Now there, I will totally agree with you, except that since it's Milia, I totally let it slide :p

One day we will find some movies to collaborate and enjoy, but honestly I think if you and I did a review series with such differences in taste, it'd be amazing!

Has Milla Jovovich ever played a non-kickass character?
She's had her share of non-fighting characters and she happens to be a fantastic actress (See: Stone, The Messenger, A Perfect Getaway) who just happens to love shitty action movies that her husband directs.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Now there, I will totally agree with you, except that since it's Milia, I totally let it slide :p

One day we will find some movies to collaborate and enjoy, but honestly I think if you and I did a review series with such differences in taste, it'd be amazing!
The Gil and the Finn, huh? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1350259704][/DOUBLEPOST]
She's had her share of non-fighting characters and she happens to be a fantastic actress (See: Stone, The Messenger, A Perfect Getaway) who just happens to love shitty action movies that her husband directs.
Weren't she and Luc Besson also schtoinking during Fifth Element?

Would you say seven phsycopaths is closer to In Bruges or Snatch? Or neither.

Good. Was hoping it was closer to that. Going to see it some time this week. I'd say snatch is more of a slapstick ensemble which is what the trailers kinda make seven psychopaths out to be.

Don't get me wrong, both are ranked up there among my favourites but for different reasons.