[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

This thread just reminded me that I had a copy of In Bruges that I never got around to watching. So this morning, when I once again failed to sleep the whole night through, I started my day with it.

Just finished watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. I'm not a big Mission Impossible fan (I never saw the 3rd one, hardly remember the first at all, and really did not like the second) But Brad Bird + Simon Pegg= Me watching. It was fun. Definitely over the top, but it was a fun ride.
Simon Pegg was the best part. This was also great:
mi4-A113.jpg
a113pixar.jpg

Also a friend has convinced me to give MI1-3 another shot.

From Dusk 'til Dawn

For whatever reason, I'd never actually sat through this from beginning to end. I'd catch it on TV, but only the last 20 minutes or something.

Holy crap, this movie kicks ass. It's so weird how it was like this cool, crime getaway kind of movie at first and OMG VAMPIRES out of nowhere. And yet it still works!

Yeah, to say that I really regret not sitting through the entirety of this sooner is a big understatement.

One of my favorite Tarantino films for sure. So many great different views from the PoV of the different characters, awesome cameos and a perfect mix of comedy/gore/horror.

There was a band player just suddenly using a body as a guitar. I'd never seen that before and I just cracked up. It was so ridiculously awesome.

From Dusk 'til Dawn

For whatever reason, I'd never actually sat through this from beginning to end. I'd catch it on TV, but only the last 20 minutes or something.

Holy crap, this movie kicks ass. It's so weird how it was like this cool, crime getaway kind of movie at first and OMG VAMPIRES out of nowhere. And yet it still works!

Yeah, to say that I really regret not sitting through the entirety of this sooner is a big understatement.
This movie and Grindhouse are really the most purely-distilled Tarantino/Rodriguez mashups. And they both really highlight to me in huge flashing lights how much greater of a filmmaker Tarantino is than Rodriguez.

I think a huge barometer of if I'd get along movie-wise with anyone is which half of Grindhouse they preferred.

This movie and Grindhouse are really the most purely-distilled Tarantino/Rodriguez mashups. And they both really highlight to me in huge flashing lights how much greater of a filmmaker Tarantino is than Rodriguez.

I think a huge barometer of if I'd get along movie-wise with anyone is which half of Grindhouse they preferred.
Not going to agree with the Grindhouse comparison. I thought Planet Terror was alot more enjoyable than Death Proof.

Entertainment value varies from person to person--Death Proof is certainly a slower movie than Planet Terror and I'd pegged Planet Terror as my favorite in theater.

But on rewatch later, Death Proof is the superior film. It almost requires a second viewing to see it, because unless you know the whole of what's happened, a lot of the first part of it feels like padding.

I own Grindhouse on Blu-Ray and I actually love Death Proof too, don't misunderstand.

I just (in my opinion) enjoyed Planet Terror more. It was more original (which is saying alot for a zombie apocalypse movie) and more a homage to the old Grindhouse films (which they were SUPPOSED to be) than Death Proof.

North_Ranger

Staff member
The Pink Panther
I really wanted to like this movie, but its age is pretty glaring already. It harkens back to the days when exotic princesses were travelling the world and gentlemen thieves were all David Niven. Inspector Clouseau and his physical comedy just gets lost in the middle of secondary characters, such as the Phantom's nephew and the inspector's wife.

Inglorious Basterds
Still a film I like to see from time to time, but I don't consider this one a keeper. It has the Tarantino trademarks; juxtaposition of music and setting, treating every story and historical period as a mixture of spaghetti western and a '70s movie, and massive, massive amounts of violence. The characters are, however, very memorable and definitely quotable, ranging from vengeful Shoshana to the chessmaster Colonel Hans Landa to the delightfully psychotic Lieutenant Aldo Rayne. My only minor issue is this: if everyone in the German Army knows who Hugo Stiglitz is (I mean, the soldier whom the Bear Jew beat to death recognized him at the drop of a hat), how come the damned SS officer did not recognize him in the tavern? The enlisted men get a pass because they were drunk off their asses...

Kill Bill Vol 2 all the way. That said, I won't watch them separate. Still wishing we'd get that four hour recut of the two films as one.

Can't wait for Django Unchained.

I wasn't really sold on it. There were parts that were really, really good, and then parts where it felt like Tarantino got too taken with his own cinematic juxtapositions and it came to a screeching halt.

Until the very first part of that film, I never thought I would ever wish for a Nazi to stop talking and just do what Nazis do because the whole point of the scene was for a Nazi to do something Nazi-ish.

The film not really being about the Basterds was also a little off-putting since I went in looking for a Tarantino take on the Dirty Dozen.

In contrast, I thought the whole sequence in the cellar pub was absolutely spectacular precisely because of how well he maintained the level of tension and uncertainty. I would have been moderately happy with the whole tavern sequence having been stretched out and expanded into its own film.

The scene started just fine, but after a while the speech just stopped seeming menacing because it just started feeling like he was killing time by talking. It completely took me out.

I dunno, it felt to me like Tarantino just wasn't sure what the tone of that scene was supposed to be, whether serious because of the setting or absurdist because of the dialogue that was the focus of the whole scene.

Comparing that with Jules' infamous monologue at the beginning of Pulp Fiction, which maintained the mounting level of intensity despite Jules and Vincent being actually funny while threatening people, and the beginning of Basterds feels much less emotionally coherent.

I love me some Pulp Fiction, SpecialKO, but I could not possibly disagree with you more on that Inglorious Basterds scene. I'm honestly shocked that anyone could look at that scene and say it lacked direction.

Thought the opening to Inglorious Basterds was engrossing while the tavern seen went on too long when

nearly everyone in it dies before the scene is over.