[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I'm just saying that Nazis are more menacing when they don't stop what they're doing, sit down, and make an extended absurdist analogy while literally waiting for the rest of the scene to catch up.

It was like the pig farm monologue in Snatch, except played straighter, which made it sillier (and not in a good way).

I think the tavern scene is amazing, worthy of an Oscar by itself.

The way in which Michael Fassbender keeps almost breaking clear, but keeps getting re-trapped until they finally get blown by right at the very end, not by his words but by his fucking physical mannerisms was just...wow. It was like watching a man play chess for his life against ludicrous odds but with the other side having no clue what the stakes were.

The scene started just fine, but after a while the speech just stopped seeming menacing because it just started feeling like he was killing time by talking. It completely took me out.
That's the whole point, though! It was like a sadistic cat playing with a mouse you knew, you knew, was already caught. And yet he just keeps drawing it out. Why? Why does he keep drawing it out?

Because he's a sick, sadistic bastard (not basterd; those are Brad Pitt's guys). He knew before he even walked in the little shack that there were Jews. But he was in absolutely no rush at all because of how much joy he got out of drawing it out and watching the guy sweat.

I think the tavern scene is amazing, worthy of an Oscar by itself.

The way in which Michael Fassbender keeps almost breaking clear, but keeps getting re-trapped until they finally get blown by right at the very end, not by his words but by his fucking physical mannerisms was just...wow. It was like watching a man play chess for his life against ludicrous odds but with the other side having no clue what the stakes were.
I semi-agree about the tavern scene in that by itself it's an amazing scene and probably could've been expanded to its own movie, or would make a decent short film. I would've preferred that to it dragging down this one. On a repeat viewing, I'm sure I wouldn't mind, but I actually haven't watched Inglorious Basterds again because I was so annoyed by that scene, despite it being such a great movie.

That's the whole point, though! It was like a sadistic cat playing with a mouse you knew, you knew, was already caught. And yet he just keeps drawing it out. Why? Why does he keep drawing it out?
Except it didn't feel like a cat & mouse game to me. The point of such a thing is so the cat can increase the terror of the mouse and watch the mouse desperately (and in a futile fashion) react. The mouse needs to hold a forlorn and ludicrous hope that it can still get away.

In this case, the mouse just sat there while the cat licked its butt.

EDIT: Compare, in fact to the tavern scene (I get there are issues for some folks with length, but ignore that for a moment).

Fassbender is the mouse here, and he keeps almost getting away, but Fate is the cat here, and the Nazis are the claws. There's actually a dynamic, a moving set of circumstances.
[DOUBLEPOST=1350758430][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually haven't watched Inglorious Basterds again because I was so annoyed by that scene, despite it being such a great movie.
Apparently, we had the same reaction to the movie, just due to different scenes. :p

Forgot to mention I saw Seven Psychopaths last week. Loved it. Very strange, loved the shift but could definitely tell that was when it lost the majority of the audience.

figmentPez

Staff member
Recently rewatched PCU, and I still find it hilarious. Maybe I've got my nostalgia goggles on, but I love this movie. Some of the humor is funny for different reasons now, and there are a lot of jokes that completely miss reality, but it's so much fun.

PCU is really funny as long as you don't take its South-Park-Libertarian message seriously

Seven Psychopaths was funny for me in part because during the credits, I was the only person not audibly pissed at the movie

Is it going to spoil me if I ask why so many people (who aren't here, granted) are pissed at Seven Psychopaths? I definitely intend to see at some point, but my schedule is a little tight these days.

Is it going to spoil me if I ask why so many people (who aren't here, granted) are pissed at Seven Psychopaths? I definitely intend to see at some point, but my schedule is a little tight these days.
Calling the marketing misleading is a huge understatement. It also kind of openly toys with the audience.

Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster: This is the only Godzilla movie of the Showa era that I've not seen. I'm having a hard time continuing to watch it when the fairies from Mothra Island show up on a talk show. That's just... no.

"On this island of happiness" it says to the image of tribal people bowing to a rippled larva. And where's the other one?

Honestly I haven't had time to watch a single movie. With so many great shows back on the air, I have spent my time catching up with those:

American Horror Story: Asylum
Surburgatory
Walking Dead

as well as new shows like:
The Neighbors

are a couple off the top of my head.

I feel you. I post about music in the books thread, and I was coming to this movie thread to tell everyone about some interpretive dance I witnessed on the subway, some guy's impression of having a seizure and vomiting all over himself.

But since other people are already being non-conformist, I'll post about the last movie I saw.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark: I heard this movie wasn't too great. It's not, exactly, though I felt it was good. It's not scary, mainly because if you've experienced other Guillermo del Toro stuff, you can tell what the creatures are and what they're doing from the prologue that reveals way too much (and you see the creatures pretty early on as well). At the same time, the story and mythos were interesting, production was full of rich colors, music was atmospheric, and Katie Holmes had a pretty good performance.

I haven't seen it yet, but I am dreading going to see Silent Hill tomorrow with some folks all super keen to see it. It's apparently worse than trash, which bums me out because it's written and directed by a relative. His previous work, Solomon Kane was a solid B-movie that wasn't great but was fun to sit through. Silent Hill does not sound like more of the same.

I haven't seen it yet, but I am dreading going to see Silent Hill tomorrow with some folks all super keen to see it. It's apparently worse than trash, which bums me out because it's written and directed by a relative. His previous work, Solomon Kane was a solid B-movie that wasn't great but was fun to sit through. Silent Hill does not sound like more of the same.
EDIT: Removed because I'm an idiot.

Is that right, Quotemander Prime ? Then let me take that all back. I thought it was still the same guy writing, as they waited like two years for the guy to get out of jail for vehicular manslaughter. You mind adjusting your post?

Don't want to hate on the wrong guy if I've been proven wrong. I may actually go see it now.

Well, don't go see it on that account. It still looks like shit and people who've seen it confirm this.
To be fair, they were kinda boxed in. Silent Hill 3 only worked because Alessa was a hero in the first game. Making her the villain of the first movie basically made them re-write the entire thing.

Is that right, Quotemander Prime ? Then let me take that all back. I thought it was still the same guy writing, as they waited like two years for the guy to get out of jail for vehicular manslaughter. You mind adjusting your post?

Don't want to hate on the wrong guy if I've been proven wrong. I may actually go see it now.
Silent Hill 2006: Written by Roger Avary and directed by Christophe Gans

Silent Hill Revelations 3D 2012: Written and directed by Michael J Bassett

Avary is the guy who went to jail for manslaughter, Bassett did not.