[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I haven’t seen it yet. Is it gratuitously gross the way some zombie fans just love gore? Or Zach Snyder being a fucking weirdo gross?
Bit of both. The gore is pretty great most times. But it's gross for different reasons, like being deeply misogynistic. Nearly every woman who dies, including a female alpha zombie, dies to motivate a male character.

Just got back from the theaters, where we saw Cruella. It was delightful, just super fun. Nothing deep or thought-provoking, just straight entertainment.

Dave

Staff member
Inside by Bo Burnham is fucking brilliant. I waited far too long to watch this.

There are so many things about this movie that just floored me. The music was top notch but either Bo is an amazing actor or this was a very personal documentary about the mental strength (or weakness) of a man insolated and alone and feeling the pressure of a profession that requires a certain sense of ego and attention-seeking. As the movie progresses he is more and more unkempt and seemingly disassociated.

There are moments in songs that just reach through the screen and grab you by the heart and fucking twist. There's a song called "White Woman's Instagram" that is all about the silly and puerile things that white women* put on Instragram. You know the posts - the pictures of food or the vacation that is nothing but vapid thoughts and fills you like empty calories. Then two minutes in he delivers a few lyrics that made me literally stop breathing and cry. It showcased the reality and humanity and the need for connection...and then goes right back into trivialities.

I'm not being facetious when I say that this might be an Oscar contender. It's funny and terrifying and real and just so much more. Bo Burnham has created an absolute masterpiece.

* not all white women

Last edited:
Inside by Bo Burnham is fucking brilliant. I waited far too long to watch this.

There are so many things about this movie that just floored me. The music was top notch but either Bo is an amazing actor or this was a very personal documentary about the mental strength (or weakness) of a man insolated and alone and feeling the pressure of a profession that requires a certain sense of ego and attention-seeking. As the movie progresses he is more and more unkempt and seemingly disassociated.

There are moments in songs that just reach through the screen and grab you by the heart and fucking twist. There's a song called "White Woman's Instagram" that is all about the silly and puerile things that white women* put on Instragram. You know the posts - the pictures of food or the vacation that is nothing but vapid thoughts and fills you like empty calories. Then two minutes in he delivers a few lyrics that made me literally stop breathing and cry. It showcased the reality and humanity and the need for connection...and then goes right back into trivialities.

I'm not being facetious when I say that this might be an Oscar contender. It's funny and terrifying and real and just so much more. Bo Burnham has created an absolute masterpiece.

* not all white women
Having been a fan of Burnham for a long time, he is both a good actor and also incredibly close to the story he's telling.

I feel like we have enough data points now that most, if not all comedians could be graphed on at least 2 axes as to which mental illness(es) they have. Burnham, Birbiglia, Mulaney, DeLong, etc.

--Patrick

We Can Be Heroes
The plot is awful and predictable. The effects are terrible. The acting is cringe-worthy 100% of the time. Yes it's a kid's film but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.
Hailey's opinion is it was a fun and enjoyable movie. I got my dad points and that's worth it.

-Near the End of the Film-
*The child superheroes are posing and looking at some point in the sky all together*
CHARACTER 1: "What are we looking at?"
Me: "The future..."
CHARACTER 2: "The Future!"
Hailey (to me): "Have you seen this?!"
Me: "Not at all. It's just that kind of movie."

I'll have her watch Sky High at some point. If she liked this she'll probably love that. If I remember correctly it wasn't a terrible film either.

So, I guess this counts as a movie, maybe? I'm choosing this thread to post it because for some reason the music thread isn't in the media forum and I'm too lazy to go find it.

Inside, the new netflix special by Bo Burnham. Fucking loved it in a way that I don't think people without experience with chronic depression can understand.

To give a bit of history, let's go back. Here's his last performance from his last special that was several years ago, after which he quit due to declining mental health:

And from there, we end up with Inside, his first special since, produced entirely by himself while in quarantine.

So, not to sound like a broken record, and having watched it a second time now, really go watch Inside. It's labeled as a comedy special, but it's really not, in fact I have a hard time describing it aside from just a wonderful piece of modern media art. It is uncomfortable and thought provoking, and I feel like it is one of the few pieces of media I've seen that can accurately shine a light on not just living with depression or anxiety, but just living in the modern world, constantly connected, in a state of digital claustrophobia.

Freaky
Fun little film from the guy who gave us Happy Death Day. Another one of his ideas where he mashes a comedy film plot with a horror. This time around it's the plot of Freaky Friday but with Kathryn Newton as an awkward teen switching places with Vince Vaughn playing a homicidal maniac. So many of the standard horror tropes are here but it's a great time for sure. Lots of good R rated deaths and some absolutely hilarious moments from the 6'5'' Vaughn acting like a teenage girl. I think Jack Black did it better in Jumanji, but Vaughn is still a very close second with his performance here.
They must have had so much fun on set with this.
It got totally missed by everyone during COVID. I highly recommend this one.

figmentPez

Staff member
Raya and the Last Dragon

Overall it was a movie. Clearly a lot of effort went into making this a Disney™ movie. People spent years of their lives ensuring that this would be a Disney™®© movie. And that's what it is, a movie.

It's not just the Disney-face dragon, either. Every bit of design just screams "this was made to be immediately identifiable as Disney and as marketable as possible to a worldwide audience". It's not bad, it's just made to a very exact standard.

The real kick in the face for me comes at a point where a character describes their plan for doing a thing, and the movie, ever so briefly, switches to an alternate art style for like 15 seconds, and there's this beautiful glimpse of what the entire movie could have been. The people working on this movie absolutely have artistic skill, but they're hobbled by having to make it DISNEY.

If you want an animated movie, go watch The Mitchells vs the Machines instead.

So, Black Widow was...okay. It was fun enough but I think I'll like it less the more I think about it. I doubt it'll be many people's favourite MCU movie. If I were to rank it, I'd probably put it somewhere on the bottom with Incredible Hulk and Thor The Dark World.

And like those two, t's not flat out bad. I firmly believe none of the MCU films to date are flat our bad. Same with this. There's some great action sequences. It just feels flat. The narrative does little to make you care about what's going on. And because Widow can't develop much, since it's a prequel, there's not much done with her in the end.

Last edited:
I kinda expected that exact reaction, either way I'ma watch it when I can in a theater because I'm vaccinated and have been living in hell for the past two years.
Honestly, it's still worth watching. It might be predictable and largely meaningless to the MCU as a whole, but it's still worth hitting it up in theaters. Do iiiiiit!

Started watching Wonder Woman 1984. Twice during the cirque du soleil act in the mall, I said "this is fucking cheesy." After the second time, I turned it off.

So, Black Widow was...okay. It was fun enough but I think I'll like it less the more I think about it. I doubt it'll be many people's favourite MCU movie. If I were to rank it, I'd probably put it somewhere on the bottom with Incredible Hulk and Thor The Dark World.

And like those two, t's not flat out bad. I firmly believe none of the MCU films to date are flat our bad. Same with this. There's some great action sequences. It just feels flat. The narrative does little to make you care about what's going on. And because Widow can't develop much, since it's a prequel, there's not much done with her in the end.
Yeah, this is how I feel too. It was ok. I'm still puzzling over that ending.

The end credits scene?
No, I mean the first ending
After saying how Ross was after her, she ends up calling Ross to show up at the scene to do nothing, then she stays behind to... fade to black and two weeks later just be out and about? WTH happened? And ultimately I'm annoyed that in a Black Widow movie, there were no character growth moments for Scar Jo's character. The movie felt like it wasn't even about her, but to introduce another character.

No, I mean the first ending
After saying how Ross was after her, she ends up calling Ross to show up at the scene to do nothing, then she stays behind to... fade to black and two weeks later just be out and about? WTH happened? And ultimately I'm annoyed that in a Black Widow movie, there were no character growth moments for Scar Jo's character. The movie felt like it wasn't even about her, but to introduce another character.
Oh yeah, that was really weird.

I didn't honestly expect much character growth for Natasha. They couldn't do anything major with her since the rest of her story was already told. When I heard Yelena was in the movie, I assumed they'd do some kind of passing of the torch. Since she's in Hawkeye, I assume she's Black Widow going forward.

I figured, but still annoying. She should have had her movie earlier anyways for exactly that reason.
Oddly enough, I read one person compare Black Widow with Mad Max Fury Road. In the same sense that, while it was Max's movie, it wasn't really his story, but Furiosa. And...that's KIND of true, though Natasha had more personal reasons to be involved than Max did, obviously. But I can kind of see how they saw it that way.

Saw BW, I liked it, it's a fun movie. No it doesn't really add much to Nat's character but she was pretty well established and it was a nice action outing. I thought Yelena was awesome and Florence Pugh owed her. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

The Muppet Movie (1979)

I've felt pretty depressed all day today, but my best friend and I decided to have a movie night. We both had bad days today, honestly. I hemmed and hawed over my movie collection on what to bring to watch. She didn't grow up on The Muppets like I did and had never seen the original movie. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I ever actually sat down and watched it, either. I would catch it on TV when I was younger, but never actually watched it, I don't think.

Turns out, The Muppet Movie was exactly what both of us needed to brighten our spirits. Because I grew up on it, I'm pretty much convinced 99% of my taste of humor comes from The Muppets and this movie proved it. It's ridiculous, completely destroys the fourth wall at time, and has some fantastic jokes that had us both roaring. There so much lampshading in it that I'm almost convinced Muppets might as well have invented it (they didn't, but you know what I mean).

If I hadn't seen it before, I'm dearly sorry I hadn't seen it sooner. If I had, I'm dearly sorry it took me this long to rewatch it.

Last edited:
The Muppet Movie (1979)

I've felt pretty depressed all day today, but my best friend and I decided to have a movie night. We both had bad days today, honestly. I hemmed and hawed over my movie collection on what to bring to watch. She didn't grow up on The Muppets like I did and had never seen the original movie. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I ever actually sat down and watched it, either. I would catch it on TV when I was younger, but never actually watched it, I don't think.

Turns out, The Muppet Movie was exactly what both of us needed to brighten our spirits. Because I grew up on it, I'm pretty much convinced 99% of my taste of humor comes from The Muppets and this movie proved it. It's ridiculous, completely destroys the fourth wall at time, and has some fantastic jokes that had us both roaring. There so much lampshading in it that I'm almost convinced Muppets might as well have invented it (they didn't, but you know what I mean).

If I had seen it before, I'm dearly sorry I hadn't seen it sooner. If I had, I'm dearly sorry it took me this long to rewatch it.
This is a nice sum up of just what the Muppets SHOULD mean to people.

This is a nice sum up of just what the Muppets SHOULD mean to people.
I neglected to mention that I fought back tearing up when Rainbow Connection played at the beginning and end.

Then again, not crying during Rainbow Connection is a challenge a lot of people fail.