[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

And a mid credits sequence teasing Carnage. Cause the only thing better than PG 13 Venom would be PG 13 Carnage.

I've not been one to criticize Marvel, Sony, Fox or WB for PG-13 interpretations of its characters. Despite what people say, I think it is ENTIRELY possible to do Wolverine, Joker, and yes even Deadpool in a PG-13 way and still do the character justice. Carnage, on the other hand, cannot be given that same treatment. It simply doesn't work.

I might be getting angry at nothing. Because as far as I know they haven't confirmed a rating for Carnage, but if they went for PG-13 here. My guess is they do it again.

I really wish Sony would just.... Stop. Stop making these movies and let the people who actually care for the source material at Marvel take over.
Woody Harrelson looked fucking RIDICUUUUULOUS in that wig. It was impossible to take seriously at all.

Venom:

This is both a terrible comic movie and an amazing buddy cop comedy. WTF even was that? Who made this? Who approved this?

But I was entertained, so, mission accomplished?

I can report with firsthand knowledge that Venom was INSANELY popular amongst 13 year old boys (and some of the girls). That alone was probably the reason it did so well at the box office. It came off as “cool” or “badass” despite all the logical criticisms I’ve heard.

They even stopped talking about Fortnite all the fucking time to obsess over Venom - a minor miracle!

I can report with firsthand knowledge that Venom was INSANELY popular amongst 13 year old boys (and some of the girls). That alone was probably the reason it did so well at the box office. It came off as “cool” or “badass” despite all the logical criticisms I’ve heard.

They even stopped talking about Fortnite all the fucking time to obsess over Venom - a minor miracle!
They made the right call with the PG-13.

It was so dumb. SO DUMB.

I did laugh out loud watching it. But I was definitely laughing at the movie, not with it.

"I KNOW ALL YOUR SECRETS EDDIE! YOU CAN'T HIDE ANYTHING FROM ME! WHO'S THAT EDDIE?! WHO'S ANN?"

Summer of '84: Kid thinks his neighbor's a serial killer, ropes his friends into uncovering the mystery.

It was alright. The directors are good at building tension, but didn't have confidence in themselves late in the story so kept rushing in awkward fake jump scares.

The ending and climax:

I thought there would be some turn of the screw late in the story, but no, it's exactly what was being built up, no more and no less. Things go badly from there. The takeaway is that the main kid got what he wanted, proving he was right, but lost what he needed, his friends and his sense of security.

I also kept thinking the girl next door would factor into the plot, because her appearances were so random. It came across like they'd written the script, and then sprinkled her across it. Really bizarre.

The soundtrack was great.

Overlord

Hadn't even heard of this before but my wife and I decided to go to a VIP movie to celebrate me getting that job. Checked out the trailer and the synopsis and I was sold this could be fun.

If we weren't dying to get out for a date night away from baby, and didn't have reason to celebrate, I probably would have waited to see Overlord on Netflix or something. It was good though. We both left the theatre satisfied. The opening sequence is intense. Everything after they've introduced the horror element is shlocky and fun but it has some legitimate creepiness but nothing really scary.

It's a good b movie.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
I am a big Western fan and Coen Bros. I liked most of the stories quite a bit. I didn't know it was an anthology going in so I was quite surprised. They had some pretty grim tales that cracked me up. Good fun.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ever since Iron Man 2, I've basically just been shutting my eyes and swishing my fingers in my ear canals every time a trailer for a marvel movie has come up on screen. I've really enjoyed the movies more because of it, I think.

It’s not like I haven’t been saying this SINCE the first trailer came out or anything.
Now I understand why. I had assumed that since the trailer showed Hulk, the movie treated Hulk's presence as a given, the way Sully (which I also just watched) never hides the fact that everyone survives. Like, I figured we saw Hulk early on, and got to laugh at Thor worrying that he's facing a fearsome enemy while we know truth.

But then, as y'all know, the movie intentionally avoids telling us that Hulk is the Champion.

Dave

Staff member
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
I am a big Western fan and Coen Bros. I liked most of the stories quite a bit. I didn't know it was an anthology going in so I was quite surprised. They had some pretty grim tales that cracked me up. Good fun.
I can't get past the orator one with the performer. It just doesn't grab me at all. But the ones up until that point were enjoyable.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs:

Ok, I gotta go with Dave on this one. The thespian orator story took this off the rails (and it never quite found its way back on), but up until that point, it had been quite an enjoyable set of farcical western vignettes.

I just saw Wreck It Ralph 2 as well. I used to have terrible insecurities in my romantic life and saw myself all across that film.

By the way, stay through the whole credits. And I mean until the lights come back on.

I watched The Ritual tonight, one of Netflix's original movies. After a personal tragedy, a group of friends go on a trip go off their route and into an ancient place best left undisturbed.

That sounds like the setup for The Descent. They're structurally similar movies, though this one is men in the woods instead of women in a cave. But maybe that structure appeals to me because I like both movies. The Ritual definitely has some Blair Witch spookiness at times, and it's unclear if they're dealing with a weird animal or something more for most of the movie.

It started to lose me a little when the worshippers show up near the end, but pulled me back with the reveal that the misshapen creature is a Jotun, one of Loki's many offspring. It's an excellent and unnatural design once shown late in the movie, with a head that seems to both be a skull but also the flesh of a human's back, human arms where tusks would be, etc.

The movie has mixed opinions on Netflix, but I thought it was pretty good.

I just saw Wreck It Ralph 2 as well. I used to have terrible insecurities in my romantic life and saw myself all across that film.

By the way, stay through the whole credits. And I mean until the lights come back on.
My theater turned the house lights on about one minute into the credits and I was the only one left in the theater.

Wreck it Ralph 2: ATTACK OF THE CODEPENDENCY

REALLY fun, not as good as the first one, but its still really enjoyable and has a good message.
I saw it today. I was kind of dreading going to see it based on how I felt about the first, but Lily wanted to go see it with one of her friends. I'm glad we tagged along! I liked it more than the first.

The Z family saw Ralph Breaks the Internet and we all agree that while it didn't feel as solid as the first movie, it was fun and there was a lot to love. Mr. Z said any scene involving a princess was amazing.

And after viewing, I am very sure about one thing:
It should have been Ralph Wrecks the Internet, dammit!

Not to mention the lampshade they threw on it in the trailers isn't in the movie at all.

Actually, I noticed a few things that were changed from the trailers, which I'm kinda surprised for an animated movie. (Not counting one of the post-credit scenes.) That's a lot of extra work.

Buster Scruggs is uhhhhhh.....

huh. still have one story to go but we turned it off and went to bed. I'll finish it but probably on my own and then just tell my wife what happens in the last one.

Dave

Staff member
The last one is worth it. The best ones are the first, second, fourth, and last. I didn't like the third one about the guy with no arms and I thought the fifth one was just too damned slow. But the last one ends with a specific creepiness that I think ties it together nicely.