[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Prometheus

Nearly every character, most especially the scientists, were total morons. The special effects and horror bits were awesome, though, and it was neat to see how they essentially evolved the aliens into the xenomorphs we know and love.

It's by no means a perfect movie, but it's a damn beautiful looking one and has a lot of great moments and lines. As a whole, it kind of falls apart, but I still enjoyed it.

Although, one thing that I didn't realize until my friend told me after (spoilering this):

I thought the planet they were on the whole time was the same one from Alien and Aliens. They were on LV-200 something, but the original was LV-426. Which makes me wonder how the aliens could be created on the other planet. I mean, if the process to get to the classic xenomorphs is having an infected human get a female pregnant, and then what comes out of that (basically a giant face-hugger) that impregnates an Engineer, that would mean that there are more planets out there that humans have encountered the Engineers and had an almost exactly similar situation? Including a giant hole in the side of the Engineer's ship, as seen in Alien? Yeah, to say that I'm confused is a bit of an understatement.

Superman vs. The Elite

Aside from the obvious bias for my love of Superman, I went into this with another bias, as well. See, this animated flick is adapted from one of my favourite superhero comics, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way" in Action Comics #775. And as an adaptation, it's almost exactly like the comic, with a couple of changes. Some dialogue from the comic are lifted almost line for line.

The animation and character design is a little...odd. I think part of that was the animators attempt at mimicking original artist, Doug Manke's style, which he's known for a very odd style, sometimes almost distorted characters with bulging veins and muscles. The animation and action more than makes up for the odd designs, though.

Of course, the story...oh, the story. Superman represents the "old school" kind of superhero who refuses to kill. The Elite represent more modern heroes, or anti-heroes, who are willing to take a criminal's life (in the comic, they were almost blatant mimics of The Authority, a very popular comic at the time). The Elite, of course, become "cool" to the world. How Superman reacts in the end is definitely the highpoint of the movie, just like the comic.

One word of warning: Superman gets a little...speechy...at the end. It's a great speech, but it's the kind of speech that, if you hate reading or hearing it from guys like Supes or Captain America, you might be turned off by it.

So yeah, overall? Awesome. Definite thumbs up and I'm going to buy it on BluRay when I can afford it.

I've heard What's so Funny... described as a more hopeful take on Kingdom Come.

That true?
Well no one dies from a nuke...

Of course, the story...oh, the story. Superman represents the "old school" kind of superhero who refuses to kill. The Elite represent more modern heroes, or anti-heroes, who are willing to take a criminal's life (in the comic, they were almost blatant mimics of The Authority, a very popular comic at the time). The Elite, of course, become "cool" to the world. How Superman reacts in the end is definitely the highpoint of the movie, just like the comic.

One word of warning: Superman gets a little...speechy...at the end. It's a great speech, but it's the kind of speech that, if you hate reading or hearing it from guys like Supes or Captain America, you might be turned off by it.
Bah, the ending was everything that's wrong with Supes, and i don't mean the speech...

And it would all have been easily fixed by having him collapse at the end for real (and use more tech to cheat in the battle)...

Nah. The whole idea behind the story was that he cuts loose with his powers, using them in incredibly dangerous and threatening ways. It's sort of like at the end of Justice League Unlimited, where he talks about feeling like he lives in a world made of cardboard and having to be careful. The whole point of it was that he always holds back because if he went all out, he could kill someone.

Although, now that I think of it, the comic portrayed The Elite like The Authority: little to no care about innocent by-standards as long as the bad guys were put down, by any means necessary. We don't really see that in the movie, which I suppose helps cement the public's love for The Elite.

As for him collapsing at the end? Nah. That's what makes it such a great moment: even after the shit kicking they gave him, and how beat up he was, he was still able to stand.

Harvard beats Yale: 29-29 :thumbsdown: just...boring. Maybe I've been spoiled by Ken Burn's Baseball and NFL Films, but this just wasn't interesting.

Ordered Superman vs the Elite from amazon, I look forward to watching it, I love Kingdom Come and any opportunity to watch a bitch slapping of the Authority is fine by me.

Half of Star Wars: (I refuse to call it a New Hope.) I fixed this older couple's surround sound and video set up in their new home. The only Blu-Rays that they had were the Star Wars collection. There is just something weird about the transfer to 1080. It now looks like a TV show and not a Film. Every thing is now in focus, nothing has a soft edge that the cameras that he used gave everything. It is just odd how much they changed the way the film looked.

Being Elmo

I've been meaning to watch this documentary ever since I'd heard about it. Having watched it, really regret not seeing it sooner. I'm still wiping tears from my eyes. Jim Henson's spirit is alive and well, indeed. I'm constantly amazed when I learn more about the people behind the scenes in all things Muppet related. Not just the work and dedication, but the clear love that these people have for the work and their audience.

Though I will say, it's a little disheartening to hear that Kevin Clash (puppeteer for Elmo) seemingly ruined his marriage and relationship with his family because of all the work he puts into the job. They still seem to be on good, loving terms from what I saw in the documentary, but it's a side of that Elmo popularity explosion I'd never considered before.

Harry Potter 7, Part 1: I liked this more than the sixth movie, but as with Breaking Dawn Part 1, there was a lot of needless padding in the middle to justify having split the book in two. My wife said "that's how it was in the books"... that's not necessarily a good thing. When the movie was on track, it was great. Things were actually happening. But there were periods where it felt aimless and it could've been edited down.

I appreciate the somber tone taken through much of it; lots of quiet moments and tension. The last sequence was great and I loved the story of the three brothers.

To be fair, there was a lot of needless padding in the book to justify the size of the book. All that stuff in the middle of the movie? Yeah, that's straight from the book.

S

SeraRelm

I thought the last two movies were better than some of the previous, but I thought some of the previous were just wasted efforts. I'll stick with 3 being the one worth watching simply because it brought us Gary Oldman and David Thewlis in the series.

I thought the last two movies were better than some of the previous, but I thought some of the previous were just wasted efforts. I'll stick with 3 being the one worth watching simply because it brought us Gary Oldman and David Thewlis in the series.
3 is my favorite. I doubt 7-2 is going to dethrone it, but we'll see.

Saw Prometheus at the IMAX and enjoyed it. The characters acted pretty stupid a lot of the time and the movie raised more questions than it answered but I quite enjoyed it. My biggest complaint was that it seemed to suffer from being designed for a sequel... I mean it might as well have said "to be continued" at the end. I know that not a lot of people here like 3D in movies... but I must say that it was done exceptionally well and looked fantastic on the IMAX screen.

Really though, myself as well as all the other Aliens fans just want to know one thing. What was the engineer (space jocky) ship doing on LV-426 with a cargo hold full of facehugger eggs in the movie Aliens. DAMN IT RIDLEY!!! WE MUST KNOW!!!

HP 3 is truly a fantastic film. It's easily the best of the series and that is in no small part to Alfonso Cuaron's direction. That man took what I think was a real "meh" in the series of books and made a smart and amazing looking movie. This is how you take a book and turn it into a movie.

The Descendants

Still dealing with the tornado three months later, it was incredibly interesting to watch someone deal with a personal disaster and all of the unexpected details such a thing involves. Extremely well done and relatable.

Southland Tales was a kind of notorious epic insane clusterfuck of a movie that was a huge flop and huge mess. It was the follow-up of Donnie Darko and a lot of people liked that movie.

At the movie's end, I still had no idea what anyone's motivations were or what happened in the ~6 twists and even more speeches where a character laid out all their motivations. Then I read the wikipedia plot summary and still had absolutely no clue what happened. What a fucking mess.

Finally saw Avengers. Felt that the ending fight went on way too long, and not gonna lie, I fell asleep in the middle of it for a few minutes and yet didn't miss a single thing. (It was a late movie and I'd only had 5 hours of sleep the night before because my brain hates me for some reason and likes to wake me up early no matter what) It was a good movie, but I don't think it was the epic amazing fest everyone was making it out to be.
:hide:

Finally saw Avengers. Felt that the ending fight went on way too long, and not gonna lie, I fell asleep in the middle of it for a few minutes and yet didn't miss a single thing. (It was a late movie and I'd only had 5 hours of sleep the night before because my brain hates me for some reason and likes to wake me up early no matter what) It was a good movie, but I don't think it was the epic amazing fest everyone was making it out to be.
:hide:

Necronic

Staff member
People who think that HP movies (or books) were of any kind of quality should probably be force fed Foie Gras by Peter Dinklage while Jeremy Irons reads The Lord of the Rings to them.

People who think that HP movies (or books) were of any kind of quality should probably be force fed Foie Gras by Peter Dinklage while Jeremy Irons reads The Lord of the Rings to them.
Hey now, the HP books were fun to read. Not saying they were high quality literature, but they were a fun read. That being said, I'm totally down for being force fed Foie Gras by Dinklage while being read The Lord of the Rings.

A lot of Californians would pay big time for force fed foie gras.