[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Necronic

Staff member
I put them on roughly the same quality level as the 40k Horus Heresy novels I read. Popcorn, but that's about it. Except that HP books have about a million times more plot holes (Hey whats up lets introduce time travel as the lamest Deus Ex in a book ever, and them spend the next 5 books pretending magic this powerful could only be used to let a small girl go to extra classes.)

Edit: I also don't know what the metaphor means but I'm thinking it's some kind of Clockwork Orange for taste without morality.

So, a family member recently moved away. They couldn't take it with them..so I now have a box of 40 disney movies.

So, what's the first movie I turned on?

Aladdin and the King of Thieves. I still love this movie.

Necronic

Staff member
Does it bother you that it's loaded to the brim with that special type of Disney racism?

Cracked did a good piece on the lyrics of the opening song. Pretty offensive.

Good flick though.

Necronic

Staff member
This is the line:

Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where they cut off your ear
If they don't like your face
It's barbaric, but hey, it's home
Apparently it was removed, but that's how I remember it.

Cajungal

Staff member
This is the line:

I used to have a tape of the soundtrack, and it had the old line. When I got the VHS tape of the movie, it had the new line. But yeah, that's how I remember it too.

Been watching a few movies lately. Some I hadn't seen before, some I had.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules

I don't care what anyone says. I think these movies are hilarious. Are they award winning comedies? Lord, no. But they're fun. I like kids humour because I'm a big kid myself. And this movie, along with the first one, have a good combination of humour and heart. I felt the same way about Ramona & Beezus. Every time I go to sit down for one of these, I don't expect much, but then wind up laughing quite heartily throughout.

The Secret of Kells

Everyone was going on about this one a few pages back, so I checked it out. Maybe it was all the gushing, but I think I went into this with a little too high expectations. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I didn't love it like others did. The animation is beautiful. The setting and story are vastly unique from most animated movies these days. But I felt the last part of the movie was missing something. I think part of it was that the girl that the boy befriends early in didn't make another appearance after the jump ahead in time. It felt like there was still something more to be told with the story and it was sort of missing something. It's been awhile since I watched it now, so my memory is a little hazy of it.

Pleasantville

Just watched this one last night and man, does it ever still hold up. Just a great movie from beginning to end. What I didn't catch until now, though, was the camera angles. Almost every camera angle from beginning to end were incredibly similar to old sitcoms and especially old, black and white movies. Really nice touch that just adds to the movie in so many ways.

(500) Days of Summer

Charlie's talk about this prompted me to watch it again. I liked this the first time I saw it years ago and still like it today. It's a rare, somewhat realistic look at a relationship, especially a relationship that doesn't work out. In some ways, it felt like a more comedic version of Eternal Sunshine of Happiness, one of my favourite movies of all time. Mostly in the realistic view of a relationship and how it isn't always sunshine and lollipops.

The Secret of Kells

Everyone was going on about this one a few pages back, so I checked it out. Maybe it was all the gushing, but I think I went into this with a little too high expectations. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I didn't love it like others did. The animation is beautiful. The setting and story are vastly unique from most animated movies these days. But I felt the last part of the movie was missing something. I think part of it was that the girl that the boy befriends early in didn't make another appearance after the jump ahead in time. It felt like there was still something more to be told with the story and it was sort of missing something. It's been awhile since I watched it now, so my memory is a little hazy of it.
Aisling is a spirit of the forest, a representation, like Crom, of Celtic Ireland's pagan beliefs. Both are largely forgotten as Christianity has been brought to the island, and when the Norseman raid Kells abbey, killing most of the remaining Crom worshippers who took refuge there, it's them wiping out the last remnants of that ancient religion. Christianity survives in the Book of Kells as Brandon managed to get away with it. And Aisling does return, if I recall correctly, in her wolf spirit form to Brandon, which is further reminder of the perserverence of faith.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think I was starting to lose interest in the movie towards the end. Think it's something I'll need to get a second chance some day.

Plotwise, I don't think Secret of Kells is everyones cup of tea, but I encourage it to be watched by everyone just, simply, for the animation. It's just...yes.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I feel very...fangirl with this movie because the book is my favorite book of all time. Everything about it resonates with me and it's extrodinary. The movie was full of awesome and disappointment in the same breath. I really enjoyed the somewhat stylized look of the movie, dark colors and slo-mo fight scenes. Speaking of the fights scenes, Lincoln with that ax? Yes, please!

Dialogue was nothing spectacular and the only time I made an audible laugh was when Lincoln, after decapitating a vampire on a train, opens the door and kicks the head out like a soccer ball. Heh.

What disappointed me was the plot. I know that changes had to be made, I get that. The ending for the book is just, HNNNN, so perfect that I was hoping to see it on screen. And when it never happened just made me a little sad. I don't understand why it was changed really.

I think it's a fun feisty movie with beautifully choregraphed violence (there's this amazing fight scene in a huge stampede of horses, which was just awesome! Something new and exciting.) Just don't expect it to be anything like the book. Oh, the thing that they did perfectly, though, was casting Benjamin Walker as Lincoln. He was Lincoln.

Anyway, I guess I don't really have a recomendation - I thought it was a fun movie to watch and I still enjoyed it despite it's flaws. (What can I say, he was wearing a trench coat, turn on numero uno for me.) :)

I don't think it was the epic amazing fest everyone was making it out to be.
:hide:
I'll hide behind the couch with you. I also thought it was good, but when it was over I had this feeling like I had missed something because it wasn't as super-duper incredibly amazing as many of my friends had made it out to be. I know they all fight each other in the comics, and I was glad that was included, but it felt like the in-fighting went on for too long. Once they were finally working together the movie was basically over. And I also understand that it helps set them up for Avengers 2 and other sequels in the offshoot series (IronMan 3, Thor 2, etc)

Plotwise, I don't think Secret of Kells is everyones cup of tea, but I encourage it to be watched by everyone just, simply, for the animation. It's just...yes.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I feel very...fangirl with this movie because the book is my favorite book of all time. Everything about it resonates with me and it's extrodinary. The movie was full of awesome and disappointment in the same breath. I really enjoyed the somewhat stylized look of the movie, dark colors and slo-mo fight scenes. Speaking of the fights scenes, Lincoln with that ax? Yes, please!

Dialogue was nothing spectacular and the only time I made an audible laugh was when Lincoln, after decapitating a vampire on a train, opens the door and kicks the head out like a soccer ball. Heh.

What disappointed me was the plot. I know that changes had to be made, I get that. The ending for the book is just, HNNNN, so perfect that I was hoping to see it on screen. And when it never happened just made me a little sad. I don't understand why it was changed really.

I think it's a fun feisty movie with beautifully choregraphed violence (there's this amazing fight scene in a huge stampede of horses, which was just awesome! Something new and exciting.) Just don't expect it to be anything like the book. Oh, the thing that they did perfectly, though, was casting Benjamin Walker as Lincoln. He was Lincoln.

Anyway, I guess I don't really have a recomendation - I thought it was a fun movie to watch and I still enjoyed it despite it's flaws. (What can I say, he was wearing a trench coat, turn on numero uno for me.) :)
Haven't seen it, but was worried this'd be the case. Judging from the trailers it looks like it's way more an action flick than what a direct adaptation would play like. Riddle me this, though,
Is Edgar Allen Poe still in it? I liked the bit where he and Lincoln both confused each other for vampires.

Haven't seen it, but was worried this'd be the case. Judging from the trailers it looks like it's way more an action flick than what a direct adaptation would play like. Riddle me this, though,
Is Edgar Allen Poe still in it? I liked the bit where he and Lincoln both confused each other for vampires.
Noooo!! Quite a few characters were simply left out. Which is what changed the plot so much. His first love Ann, Poe, Armstrong, Booth, Lamon and I was so bummed his 'Trinity' was nowhere to be seen either.

Superman vs. the Elite. As awesome as it would have been to see it called by the Comic title of What's so Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way? It probably would have been to long, and been changed for international distribution anyway. Other than some wonky faces and the bland title, there's very little negatives to say about the movie.

I wouldn't mind Joe Kelly writing Superman again. Nice to see the Kents alive, I hate Grant Morrison for making them dead in origin again.

So I had a bout of insomnia tonight and watched "Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame" on Nutflix.

Wow. I have not seen a good Chineese epic/wuxia movie in ages and this really hit the spot. Good choreography, pretty good story, likable main character, a decent mystery story, and Tsai Hark directing.

I'll hide behind the couch with you. I also thought it was good, but when it was over I had this feeling like I had missed something because it wasn't as super-duper incredibly amazing as many of my friends had made it out to be. I know they all fight each other in the comics, and I was glad that was included, but it felt like the in-fighting went on for too long. Once they were finally working together the movie was basically over. And I also understand that it helps set them up for Avengers 2 and other sequels in the offshoot series (IronMan 3, Thor 2, etc)
You need a penis to get it, man.

That's why Charlie doesn't get it. :rimshot:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Fievel Goes West
Eh, I watched this one because it happened to be on the telly; Midsummer's Eve weekend, so they were showing movies at daytime for the folks who weren't at their summer homes getting inebriated and producing the next generation of March babies :p Dom De Luise is always fun to listen to, and I'm a sucker for John Cleese, but otherwise this film - at least to me - is about as memorable as a piece of gum.

B

BErt

Meant to reply this to checkeredhat/LittleKagsin so don't read if you care about Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter spoilers.

man, I loved the book and was wondering if they'd keep Poe in it too, the interaction between them was great. Now I know I definitely don't have to worry about going to see this. Maybe a rental just for the hell of it.

Just hopped aboard the Netflix train, stopped doing whatever useless things I was doing when I saw that Senna was available to watch instantly. It was a very well put together documentary with some really top notch racing footage. Seriously, prime stuff. Had a bit of problem with the characterization they tried to give Alain Prost, came across as a villain at times when that really wasn't the case. And even though I knew how the story ended, it was still pretty heartbreaking to witness.

Probably give a better review when I'm not on the verge of sleep.

This is the line:

Yeah, that line was replaced with "where it's flat and immense/and the heat is intense" instead. My cd of the music has the new line, the cassette I have somewhere in my parents' garage has the old line.

S

SeraRelm

Still waiting for my Pride And Prejudice And Zombies film adaptation...

(With Natalie Portman as Elizabeth)

Still waiting for my Pride And Prejudice And Zombies film adaptation...

(With Natalie Portman as Elizabeth)
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Nata...d-Zombies-Making-Room-For-Superman-21070.html
Much like the rotting skin of the undead, integral pieces keep falling off of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Following the departure of director David O. Russell, EW is reporting that now the film has lost it’s lead. Natalie Portman, whose production company will be ushering this film to the big screen, has left apparently due to “scheduling conflicts.”

Horton Hears a Who

It was very pop culturesque, and very silly. Also very entertaining. I feel they missed a good dialogue point with Carol Burnett's character, though. Oh well.

--Patrick