[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

fade

Staff member
I actually think all of the things you didn't like are strengths of the movie. What is the Westchester incident? Long term fans of this series will know (Westchester is where the x mansion was, Xavier had a seizure and killed the x-men, you can hear that stated on the radio before Logan turns it off) but it isn't expanded upon because ultimately it doesn't matter. There's a side plot about Transigen killing off natural born mutants via gene therapy through corn syrup, but that doesn't matter either. Logan even shoots the guy half way through him monologuing. It's Logan's story that matters, and that there's a bigger story going on around makes the world feel alive, but to Logan it's just noise. Even the reavers and Transigen as a whole, they're just more assholes in a long line of assholes that have and always will exist.
Thats what I mean though when I say there's a difference between implication and not infodumping, and not telling enough. It didn't really have to be more details about the actual event. More details about the effect would have been good. Ultimately it left me rudderless. I constantly had the feeling "why should I care?" On top of that, some of Logan's actions during the movie were quite questionable. And I realize that was what they were going for (just like I realize the lack of explanation was intentional) but in both cases, I felt it went to the opposite extreme and left me wondering why I should sympathize with these characters.

Opinions and all that.

One Night in the Tropics

This...was one fucking crazy mess of a film. Its well known for being Abbot and Costello's film debut, what is NOT advertised is that they are written as comedy sidekicks...but are infinitely more interesting than the main characters, who are two rich a-holes who just KEEP screaming for some reason.

Just when I thought movies couldn't get more disappointing than Alien Covenant, I got suckered into seeing

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

This is trash of the highest order. Really fucking terrible. Unbelievably fucking terrible.

Fucking terrible unbelievable.

Just when I thought movies couldn't get more disappointing than Alien Covenant, I got suckered into seeing

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

This is trash of the highest order. Really fucking terrible. Unbelievably fucking terrible.

Fucking terrible unbelievable.
Was it all that disappointing though? I'm sure you weren't expecting much out of it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just finished watching The Girl With All the Gifts. I'd read, and loved, the book, so I've been looking forward to this for a while. Missed it when it was in theaters, and when it popped up on Amazon Prime I jumped on the chance.

The move is amazing. I absolutely loved it. It really captures the tone of the book, if at an accelerated pacing. Don't spoil yourself on the plot if you can help it.

Just finished watching The Girl With All the Gifts. I'd read, and loved, the book, so I've been looking forward to this for a while. Missed it when it was in theaters, and when it popped up on Amazon Prime I jumped on the chance.

The move is amazing. I absolutely loved it. It really captures the tone of the book, if at an accelerated pacing. Don't spoil yourself on the plot if you can help it.
Do you think there's any advantage to "book, then movie" or "movie, then book?"

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Do you think there's any advantage to "book, then movie" or "movie, then book?"
That's a difficult question. I'm inclined to say it doesn't matter, but I'm not sure. The book is definitely richer on characterization and world building, and there were a few plot points that were cut out for the movie, but overall it sticks closer to the book than most movies that I can think of.

Got taken to see Wonder Woman. It was enjoyable. If you are a WW fan you should be very happy. If you are a DC movie fan you should be ecstatic if this is any indication of where the films will go from here.

For the record I am going to give Patty Jenkins the credit for the success. It was not completely without problems but they were no worse than those in some lower tier MCEU movies. The best action sequences were the ones that used slow-mo sparingly, unfortunately the Snyder still holds some sway and the sooner they lose that the better.

Happy to be able to finally recommend a DC movie even happier that it is Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman

Pretty enjoyable all around. It had an actual story, with decent fight scenes and all that. Good bones, which is more than the other DCCU movies had. I don't think it's quite up to most Marvel movie standards though.

So there's still a lot they don't really explain. Like her bracers don't make any sense in the context of the movie. I'm not sure why she was able to do that big blast attack or how she was able to redirect lighting back to Azula Aries. I'm also confused why, if she's immortal and has been active for 100 years everyone seemed surprised (in present day) about her?

I also didn't like the Aries reveal. I never really like when the person who has the most to lose by the heroes winning sends the heroes on their initial quest. I would have preferred it either played strait or made Ms. Poison be Aries in disguise. Honestly I would have really just liked Aries to have been dead the whole time or not involved and this is just how people are. The part after Aries died and the germans and the spy friends all hugged it out was goofy as hell.

All the Indiana Jones movies.

I don't remember them being THIS campy all around. Raiders is fun, but it occurred to me this time watching the Indy could have just stayed home and everything would have played out essentially the same. The Nazis either wouldn't have found the Ark or they would have and still all died at the end.

Temple was never really my cup of tea. like the age demographic it's aiming for seems to flux every few minutes.

Last Crusade is my jam.

Crystal skulls isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There's a lot of "that's not how things work" in it what with the magic fridge and the magnetic skull that attracts the cloud of gunpowder but not any of the other million metallic objects in the storage area. Plus the guy who was always switching sides was dumb and unnecessary. Otherwise it's kind of on par with the others. Fight me.

Crystal Skull just isn't worth watching. Harrison Ford was obviously doing it for a paycheck, Cate Blanchett's character was mean but not nearly as competent as she was supposed to be, at some point someone should have just dropped off "constant backstabber mcdrunkard" off at the nearest cantina and told him to fuck off, and Shia LeBouef was trying to be a 50's tough guy named Mutt or something equally idiotic. The adventure isn't nearly as thrilling as the previous movies, the CGI is surprisingly obvious and poorly done considering it was ILM doing it, and the resolution is just plain dumb.

Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels

After watching Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla a few weeks ago, I got in the mood to watch this. And you know, you can see how Guy Ritchie has evolved as a film maker. There's a lean efficiency to his story telling and he varies to camera speed to accent the feel of a scene- frenzy, chaos, etc. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels takes some time to build up, but instead of dragging, it uses the time to introduce the characters and the several different threads involved in the story. It all pulls together into a wonderfully bloody pileup of mistakes (and yet, somehow, not mistakes) that really sells the movie.

Really enjoyed it.

Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels

After watching Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla a few weeks ago, I got in the mood to watch this. And you know, you can see how Guy Ritchie has evolved as a film maker. There's a lean efficiency to his story telling and he varies to camera speed to accent the feel of a scene- frenzy, chaos, etc. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels takes some time to build up, but instead of dragging, it uses the time to introduce the characters and the several different threads involved in the story. It all pulls together into a wonderfully bloody pileup of mistakes (and yet, somehow, not mistakes) that really sells the movie.

Really enjoyed it.
I assume you've seen Snatch. If you haven't, you'd like it. I like all three of those movies.

When I rewatched the Indy movies a while ago I was sort of obligated to say pretty much the same. It's probably still my #4 in a list, but it's not as much of a disaster as people made it out to be.
Introducing a useless family member - sure, but Daddy Jones wasn't all that much better. I mean, better actor, better script, better chemistry, but just a way to insert a famous actor and shake things up, nonetheless.
Obvious CGI - sure, and ripping out the guyt's heart looked absolutely real.
The story makes no sense - as said, Raiders isn't a hero movie, it's a story about a guy who should simply have stayed home.
It certainly is the most phoned-in movie, though.

fade

Staff member
But his heroics are in surviving the situation he was in, not whether it matters if he was there or not. You could probably make that argument about quite a few hero stories.

Also, if nothing else, Indy convinced Rene to open the Ark early. Had he not, Hitler's experts may have known how to harness it.

Dave

Staff member
But his heroics are in surviving the situation he was in, not whether it matters if he was there or not. You could probably make that argument about quite a few hero stories.

Also, if nothing else, Indy convinced Rene to open the Ark early. Had he not, Hitler's experts may have known how to harness it.
Or they might have opened it in front of Hitler and killed him. Indy actually made things worse!

I assume you've seen Snatch. If you haven't, you'd like it. I like all three of those movies.
I've seen all of Guy Ritchie's movies except King Arthur, Man From UNCLE, and that godawful one he did when he was married to Madonna that starred her.

Snatch is basically Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels taken up a few notches and distilled. Fantastic movie.

Revolver was interesting but very trippy and doesn't quite work as well. It was hard to buy Jason Statham as a mastermind who out-thought and manipulated instead of just kicking all of the ass. Bonus points for having Big Pussy and Ludacris as major supporting characters though.

RocknRolla is escalated again from Snatch but only a few of the cast are colorful East End gangsters, so it feels very different. Great cast, and Tom Hardy looks so incredibly different than he does in Mad Max it's hard to believe it's the same guy. Thandie Newton is, as she usually is, the weakest link of the movie, but she is very sexy and that's really all that's asked of her.[DOUBLEPOST=1496946380,1496945849][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I rewatched the Indy movies a while ago I was sort of obligated to say pretty much the same. It's probably still my #4 in a list, but it's not as much of a disaster as people made it out to be.
Introducing a useless family member - sure, but Daddy Jones wasn't all that much better. I mean, better actor, better script, better chemistry, but just a way to insert a famous actor and shake things up, nonetheless.
Obvious CGI - sure, and ripping out the guyt's heart looked absolutely real.
The story makes no sense - as said, Raiders isn't a hero movie, it's a story about a guy who should simply have stayed home.
It certainly is the most phoned-in movie, though.
Better actor, better script, and better chemistry COUNT FOR A FUCKING LOT. There's a big difference between "It was incredible working with Mr. Connery" and "The only interesting thing Mutt did while filming was hunt, kill, and eat one of the busboys."

Also, Daddy Jones was involved because he was the foremost expert on the archaeological pursuit of The Holy Grail. He was absolutely vital in getting them there, not only from interpreting the signs, but the sheer amount of information he'd sifted through during his life and identified the most pertinent bits.

The Ripping Out Of the Heart was partially implied to be supernatural, and I'm gonna say that 99.9999% of the moviegoing audience doesn't really know what a heart being pulled out through a chest should look like. However, most everyone knows what monkeys and prairie dogs look like and how they move. I mean, shit, even a puppet for the prairie dogs would have had an acceptable effect. Instead it's a gratuitous silly use of obvious CGI that takes you out of the movie. It's a big, "Hey, just reminding you this isn't real" moment, which breaks immersion.

I've seen all of Guy Ritchie's movies except King Arthur, Man From UNCLE, and that godawful one he did when he was married to Madonna that starred her.

Snatch is basically Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels taken up a few notches and distilled. Fantastic movie.

Revolver was interesting but very trippy and doesn't quite work as well. It was hard to buy Jason Statham as a mastermind who out-thought and manipulated instead of just kicking all of the ass. Bonus points for having Big Pussy and Ludacris as major supporting characters though.

RocknRolla is escalated again from Snatch but only a few of the cast are colorful East End gangsters, so it feels very different. Great cast, and Tom Hardy looks so incredibly different than he does in Mad Max it's hard to believe it's the same guy. Thandie Newton is, as she usually is, the weakest link of the movie, but she is very sexy and that's really all that's asked of her.[DOUBLEPOST=1496946380,1496945849][/DOUBLEPOST]

Better actor, better script, and better chemistry COUNT FOR A FUCKING LOT. There's a big difference between "It was incredible working with Mr. Connery" and "The only interesting thing Mutt did while filming was hunt, kill, and eat one of the busboys."

Also, Daddy Jones was involved because he was the foremost expert on the archaeological pursuit of The Holy Grail. He was absolutely vital in getting them there, not only from interpreting the signs, but the sheer amount of information he'd sifted through during his life and identified the most pertinent bits.

The Ripping Out Of the Heart was partially implied to be supernatural, and I'm gonna say that 99.9999% of the moviegoing audience doesn't really know what a heart being pulled out through a chest should look like. However, most everyone knows what monkeys and prairie dogs look like and how they move. I mean, shit, even a puppet for the prairie dogs would have had an acceptable effect. Instead it's a gratuitous silly use of obvious CGI that takes you out of the movie. It's a big, "Hey, just reminding you this isn't real" moment, which breaks immersion.
To be fair, it wasn't the below average quality of the CGI gopher that broke my immersion of Indy surviving a nuclear blast in a lead fridge.

To be fair, it wasn't the below average quality of the CGI gopher that broke my immersion of Indy surviving a nuclear blast in a lead fridge.
Thu funny thing is that the unrealistic part was him not breaking his neck, and other assorted bones from being thrown around in the fridge, and not the fact that he didn't get radiation poisoning...

I mean they actually experimented with soldiers in foxholes within the blast area back in the 50's... and Indy was old enough that the cancer might not have developed before he died of old age.

Kubo and the two strings.

Finally got around to watching this. Nice movie. I love stop-motion work, and the credits scene with the skeleton made me super happy.

The story was nice, but it felt like some of the characters needed a bit more fleshing out. Motivations and back-story needed some attention. There were a few plot holes.

It could have been great. Too bad because it was a beautiful movie, and I really liked Kubo and his folks, and the paper Hanzo.

Trolls

Um...wow, this was ONE clusterfuck of a somewhat good but not great animated movie. HA-NOTES-
  1. It is the JUKE-boxiest of juke-box musicals, in that some songs do NOT fit the scene. Anything by "The Gorillas" should NEVER be in an animated children's film, least of all incorrectly.
  2. The introverted troll Branch is CONSTANTLY harassed by the mass troll populace to cheer up, and it made me feel uncomfortable as someone who occasionally fights the sadness. Its also kinda fucked up, seeing how his damn GRAMMA was killed by the Chef Bergen and everyone gives him shit for being paranoid-WHICH-isn't really paranoia as when they had a GIANT ass party the Chef found them.
  3. The King and Scullery Maid are just Muscleman and Starla from fucking Regular Show, DON'T tell me they don't look like them. Two heavyset green dwarfish humanoids, the male has his belly sticking out, fuck they even go on a date in a fucking ROLLER RINK! For shame Trolls, SHAME!
  4. Outside of the male and female lead, the troll characters aren't really characters, but quirks personified based on physical differences. Also the one troll the female lead was into at first does a heel-faced turn to save his own ass-SOLELY-so there's no chance the male and female lead won't get togetther. Its funny because the Bergen characters have MUCH more personality, yet they AREN'T the name basis.
  5. Their magic hair has CONFUSING limitations. It can grow as long to lift something at least TWENTY times their own weight, mimic the appearance of FLAMES...yet they can't use it to unlock a cage? Or just...break the cage itself?
BUT-outside of that, it comes to a head in the third act, and has some really good animation through-out. Not something I'd rewatch any time soon, but not something I regret watching.

fade

Staff member
Kubo and the two strings.

Finally got around to watching this. Nice movie. I love stop-motion work, and the credits scene with the skeleton made me super happy.

The story was nice, but it felt like some of the characters needed a bit more fleshing out. Motivations and back-story needed some attention. There were a few plot holes.

It could have been great. Too bad because it was a beautiful movie, and I really liked Kubo and his folks, and the paper Hanzo.
So, basically Laika par for the course? I feel like we never get to know the characters in their movies.