[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

The Fate of the Furious

As far as "turn your brain off and watch the manly men and hot girls do cool stuff" movies go, they don't get much better than this. Great action, great humor, and surprisingly not as dumb as I was expecting it to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2-
Loved it. Still trying to decide which GotG I liked better. May need a few more viewings to be sure. And possibly my favorite part:

20170507_134009.jpg

You know what I just realized about Guardians 2? It actually has color in it. Except for Doctor Strange, the other MCU movies tend to wash out their color in order to make them look gritty. Not grimdark like DC, just gritty and dull. The cosmic aspect of Marvel needs to look brilliant and vibrant. Like in that Speed Racer movie.

Okay, maybe not that vibrant.

Nerdland ...this was based on a rejected Titmouse pilot wasn't it? Its not completely horrible, hell its got some AMAZING animation and imagery strewn throughout, but despite the massive amount of actors both A and B-list it doesn't really feel like something you'd see in a movie theater. And much like something like Sausage Party, the fact that its animated is an absolute novelty at best.

If it wasn't animated it'd just be another buddy-comedy about two losers trying to become famous by making a bunch of terrible choices. Of course the problems with this premise does NOT stop there, its also how both the main characters turn 30 in 2015 or 2016, but have a critical perspective of internet culture and media in a way that they sound more like members of Generation X rather than being the Millenials they should be-PRAYING-to the altar of their gods of streaming video and social media.

I mean come on, they share an EIGHTIES PHONE-no fucking way these losers wouldn't not still be on their parents family plan, like ALL Americans! Its also one of those films where it doesn't feel like it REALLY starts until 45 minutes in, and come the fuck on really? Was there anyone left in the theater by then?

ALSO...why the fuck is it called Nerdland? There's...a nerd in it, some nerdy topics, but the main characters feel more like losers than nerds. Hell Paul Rudd's character was a hacker for a minute and it was the most unbelievable character progression I've seen since Trixie becoming Goldstar in Booster Gold.

And Garfunkel and Oates' characters were two vapid camwhore cliches that exist solely to criticize the modern generation, in a way that has been done a billion times before, and a billion times better.

I'm just so amazed this movie turned out so BLEH, it had great actors, great writers, fuck Trigger animation even worked on this! TRIGGER!

Last edited:
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

I really wanted to like this movie, but nope. All the "let me spell out my emotions and character growth" moments rubbed me the wrong way. The plot was OK, and the main alien race/setting featured was a really cute idea, but I could not care less for the main characters and their struggles. There was zero tension, and I felt cheated overall.

GotG remains the last Marvel flick I liked, and I should've known better than to try the sequel.

WARCRAFT

I feel like that if I had gotten really into the games, I would have appreciated it more, but I haven't played Warcraft since the shareware version of Warcraft II. The movie felt under-developed and while not bad, per se, it didn't really hit the "epic saga" level it was so obviously trying for. I thought it was was underwhelming and so many things were introduced in a blink-and-you-missed-it kind of fashion that they didn't really hold weight. I couldn't really empathize with Good Orc Guy and his people that hard, and cute half-orc chick was overall kind of lame.

You deserved better, Ragnar.

fade

Staff member
GotG did have some corny emotional moments, especially regarding Peter's mom. And the romance did feel a bit forced. I can't disagree with PatrThom on that. But for the FX--okay, I guess. I mean, I don't have any clue how Novanese or Celestial tech explodes. Maybe it explodes with unicorns and fart clouds.

All that being said... I'm okay with it because it's one of the few comic book movies we've gotten that actually felt like a comic book. Which is somewhat ironic considering how much it deviated from the source.

GotG did have some corny emotional moments, especially regarding Peter's mom. And the romance did feel a bit forced. I can't disagree with PatrThom on that. But for the FX--okay, I guess. I mean, I don't have any clue how Novanese or Celestial tech explodes. Maybe it explodes with unicorns and fart clouds.

All that being said... I'm okay with it because it's one of the few comic book movies we've gotten that actually felt like a comic book. Which is somewhat ironic considering how much it deviated from the source.
Between GotG and the new Thor movie, the Marvel universe is going full-on Jack Kirby. I kind of dig it. Really sets it apart from the boring DC shit.

Yep. It's exactly how superhero movies SHOULD be treated, honestly. There's no point trying to take it all seriously when you have a Norse god fighting a guy who turns green and inexplicably wears purple shorts. Not to say you can't HAVE more serious stories. Winter Soldier proves that. But even Winter Soldier, while one of Marvel's more serious movies in the line-up, was still a lot of fun.

I should also add that the fun, light-hearted approach isn't necessary for every character. Street level characters like The Defenders lend themselves well to a grittier approach. A Jason Borne-eseque Black Widow movie would kick all kinds of ass.

Of course, I'd also be okay with a lighter approach to Daredevil and Punisher if it means we get stuff like Stilt Man and Franken-Castle. :p

WARCRAFT

I feel like that if I had gotten really into the games, I would have appreciated it more, but I haven't played Warcraft since the shareware version of Warcraft II. The movie felt under-developed and while not bad, per se, it didn't really hit the "epic saga" level it was so obviously trying for. I thought it was was underwhelming and so many things were introduced in a blink-and-you-missed-it kind of fashion that they didn't really hold weight. I couldn't really empathize with Good Orc Guy and his people that hard, and cute half-orc chick was overall kind of lame.

You deserved better, Ragnar.
IT WAS SO BORING.

Apparently the first war was a single battle skirmish.

So, I watched Ghost in the Shell with a friend (TOTALLY LEGALLY AND IN NO WAY PROCURED FROM A WEBSITE WITH THE INITIALS IPT). It's still ultra mediocre but this time I noticed one major thing. The score was by Clint Mansell. I can't believe how boring it was for his work. Really half-assed.

Here's the thing: a team of heroes fighting a creature can wind up being kind of lame the longer it goes. But with the opening keeping that in the background, while focusing on Baby Groot dancing to Mr Blue Sky, GotG2 provided a unique, memorable, and fun opening that set the tone for the entire movie.

Watched three movies this weekend.

Sing: Pretty great. The plot's largely predictable, but that doesn't really matter for a feel-good jukebox musical like this one. This movie's got a lot of heart, and I love it for that. The musical numbers were also pretty great, with the voice actors knocking their songs out of the park. I seriously had no idea Taron Edgarton could sing like that.

Assassin's Creed: Meh. From the perspective of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, I'd give it a six out of ten, but from the perspective of a movie watcher, it'd get no more than a four. The acting's competent enough, and seeing all the Assassin and Templar stuff come to life in a movie was pretty great (I had so much fun spotting all the easter eggs in the background). But the script and the direction are both terrible. The movie was clearly made with fans of the game in mind, so stuff is glossed over in some places, but there are also segments where the movie drags on and on on inconsequential background. The movie ends up in a weird place where there's simultaneously too much exposition and not enough. As a fan of the games, the film kept my attention well enough, but my wife fell asleep sometime right around the first Animus session and didn't wake up until the end credits.

Colonia: A nice little film, but it also feels a bit unmemorable afterwards. Daniel Bruhl and Emma Watson give decent performances, and Michael Nyqvist's cult leader is deliciously hateable, but otherwise it all feels rather by the numbers. Also, given that Colonia Dignidad was real place with real atrocities committed there, I felt like the movie could've spent a little more time exploring the horrors that occurred there, instead of focusing entirely on the escape attempt of two particular individuals. Still, it's a competently made movie, if a bit on the safe side.

Assassin's Creed seems to be a huge example of missing exactly what made something great. "Hey, Assassin's Creed fans, what do you love about the series?" "Being a parkour-ninja-assassin in a variety of historical settings with immersive environments and thrilling combat!" "And what do you think is boring?" "All the sci-fi bullshit about the Animus and the overall Assassins / Templars conflict." "So how'd you like a movie that focuses most of the running time on the Animus and the Templars?"