[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Miss Peregrine's School for British X-men

It's decent. It feels like a kid's film version of an X-men movie. Some good acting performances (and admittedly some less good), and the humor was right up my alley. I think the time travel stuff could be explained a bit better, but overall it was entertaining.

Also the actresses who played Emma and Olive are really hot.

Miss Peregrine's School for British X-men

It's decent. It feels like a kid's film version of an X-men movie. Some good acting performances (and admittedly some less good), and the humor was right up my alley. I think the time travel stuff could be explained a bit better, but overall it was entertaining.

Also the actresses who played Emma and Olive are really hot.
The X-Men comparisons are both deserved and understandable: it's a problem with the genre as a whole.

Miss Peregrine and the Philosopher's Stone (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)

Book purists beware, this movie is a huge departure from the books... to the tone that they've switched two characters (Emma and Olive) and completely changed the last half of the second act and basically all of the third act. However, despite the obvious changes, this movie is still pretty damn good. It still falls into some of the typical YA book-based movies (first act is a slow boil, second act is compressed) but makes up for it with some of the most disturbing villains I've seen in a children's movie and great action. The tone is spot on, as are the visuals, and once the action is underway the movie hits all the right notes. As I said, the ending is completely different from the book but I think that's because they wanted a more action oriented finale and because they weren't sure if they'd get a sequel... but they also ended it in a way that means they still could do a sequel. Sam Jackson steals the spotlight in every scene he is in.

This isn't the best YA movie I've seen, but it's definitely worth a watch. Here's hoping for a movie version of Hollow City!

You are, I assume, referring to the movie's cast being all white, apart from Samuel L. Jackson?
Hes' referring to an interview where he said the following.

“Nowadays, people are talking about it more … things either call for things, or they don’t. I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct. Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just… I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, ‘That’s great.’ I didn’t go like, ‘OK, there should be more white people in these movies.'”
For the record, Sam Jackson did notice the issue but he didn't think Tim Burton was actively trying to deny minorities roles or anything, getting along with Burton well. I'd tend to agree; I think Burton's auteur status has kept him in a little bubble concerning things like this, to the point where he might not really understand what the actual issue is... and no one in Hollywood is going to call him out on it and fuck with the gravy train as long as he keeps making money.

If we do get Hollow City, it does have some rather length bits with non-white Peculiars. We'll see how it plays out. I'd be fine with more diversity; it really can't make things any more different from the book than they already are.

I don't think Sam Jackson is one to ever rock the boat, considering how often he works with Quentin Tarantino, who writes a part for himself saying "niggers" into 80% of his movies.

Dave

Staff member
10 times. I didn't take off the 's' the first time.

And each time I searched I got a different result.[DOUBLEPOST=1475702277,1475702164][/DOUBLEPOST]Out of 9,117 messages. So more than most people, but less than 80%.

@stienman why did you mark what I said as "funny"? Either you thought what I said was a joke, or you know it is serious and find the idea to be ridiculous. If its the the former, I was not joking. If it's the latter, why do you disagree?

GasBandit

Staff member
@stienman why did you mark what I said as "funny"? Either you thought what I said was a joke, or you know it is serious and find the idea to be ridiculous. If its the the former, I was not joking. If it's the latter, why do you disagree?
I thought you were joking too, because it's patently ridiculous.

I thought you were joking too, because it's patently ridiculous.
Yeah, I feel like George W Bush said something similar.

10 times. I didn't take off the 's' the first time.

And each time I searched I got a different result.[DOUBLEPOST=1475702277,1475702164][/DOUBLEPOST]Out of 9,117 messages. So more than most people, but less than 80%.
Dave is defending him because he's number 2. Yes, I counted.

Gasbandit and Sixpackshaker are tied for third.

I figure you're referring to "You're either with us, or against us" which is not really my point. My point is that if you see something happening, and you decide "I don't really care about this so I'll ignore it" then it will keep happening.

Spy

A homage/spoof to James Bond movies, only from the point of view of the Moneypenny on her first field assignment after the James Bond expy is killed. Melissa McCarthy is hilarious, and a lot of times she reminds me of Pam from Archer - starting off as a drone but actually an ass-kicking field agent. The movie was very funny, with Jason Statham, Peter Serafinowicz, Rose Byrne, and Miranda Hart working spectacularly. It was better than previous McCarthy-Feig pairing The Heat (I haven't seen Bridesmaids).

GasBandit

Staff member
I figure you're referring to "You're either with us, or against us" which is not really my point. My point is that if you see something happening, and you decide "I don't really care about this so I'll ignore it" then it will keep happening.
That still doesn't mean you implicitly support it.

Spy

A homage/spoof to James Bond movies, only from the point of view of the Moneypenny on her first field assignment after the James Bond expy is killed. Melissa McCarthy is hilarious, and a lot of times she reminds me of Pam from Archer - starting off as a drone but actually an ass-kicking field agent. The movie was very funny, with Jason Statham, Peter Serafinowicz, Rose Byrne, and Miranda Hart working spectacularly. It was better than previous McCarthy-Feig pairing The Heat (I haven't seen Bridesmaids).
Dude what, you think this is a thread about movies or something

Dave

Staff member
I liked Spy a lot more than I thought I would. But fucking Jason Statham steals that whole show.

I don't want to redo the derail, but if you can't tell the difference between me talking about that word academically and when it's used in memes, you're way dumber than I thought.

Also part of the reason I use it is that I agree with that quote from somewhere that "the n-word" is more offensive to use when you're talking about it in the academic sense, or directly quoting someone.

Sky High

...DAMMIT-why did this have to be good? I would've been happier if this was JUST a shitty Disney superhero film, but it actually has some good characters and and action scenes! Also as Doug Walker stated, Bruce Campbell plays the gym teacher and that fucking rules.

Sky High

...DAMMIT-why did this have to be good? I would've been happier if this was JUST a shitty Disney superhero film, but it actually has some good characters and and action scenes! Also as Doug Walker stated, Bruce Campbell plays the gym teacher and that fucking rules.
Yeah, this movie came out a few years before the Super Hero craze really took off. If it had been released a few years later, I'd imagine Sky High would be a pretty big franchise.

Stay away from Zoom! though. It's the same idea, but nowhere near as good.

Yeah, this movie came out a few years before the Super Hero craze really took off. If it had been released a few years later, I'd imagine Sky High would be a pretty big franchise.

Stay away from Zoom! though. It's the same idea, but nowhere near as good.
I was wandering about that, thank you. Plus REALLY there's a million ways they could've gone with this, having the sidekick characters develop their seemingly useless powers, it'd be awesome!

I AM oddly enough glad that they didn't make a TV show based on it, given the...myriad of awful live-action superhero sitcoms that exist.

Deepwater Horizon

Pretty good. Visuals were spectacular and visceral, and the first half of the movie was spent exploring the negligence that led to the disaster, so it's relatively easy for a layperson to follow the sequence of events that led to the blowout.

Also you get to see Kate Hudson's butt.

Cajungal

Staff member
It was the last weekend for _Don't Breathe_. I had some questions about how on earth the twist could have happened in the first place, but man, what a tense and exciting movie. The actor who played the blind man was absolutely chilling. Old guys with beefy arms are scary. It was relentless. Every time there was a break from the horribleness, I just sat there wondering what awful thing was going to happen next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It was the last weekend for _Don't Breathe_. I had some questions about how on earth the twist could have happened in the first place, but man, what a tense and exciting movie. The actor who played the blind man was absolutely chilling. Old guys with beefy arms are scary. It was relentless. Every time there was a break from the horribleness, I just sat there wondering what awful thing was going to happen next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That's Stephen Lang! Who played the bad guy in James Cameron's Avatar

And who wants to play Cable in a Marvel movie.